Where to start to learn mapping?
(16 Dec 11, 03:34PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote:
(16 Dec 11, 03:22PM)fscii Wrote: I do want to be able to tweak existing maps

Please don't, mappers hates when one messes around with their work, there are often readme.txt files telling you that you are not allowed to edit the map.

For sure - I'm the one who likely rages most when an unknown person modifies my map without authorization, depending on whether he/she does a noob work or a great work. But I always leave a "readme" on the map's .cfg (commented, of course), so just open one of my maps' .cfg and you might see some.

And I agree with Exodus, more time spent on "mapping", more improved your skills get. I learned mapping this way, and made a series of nice maps (about 15 or 16).

Come map with me if you want - I have skills but lack ideas, lol. I can also teach you some techniques for "fun maps" (unrealistic ones).

Also, one thing that new mappers should do before start mapping, is read the AssaultCube Documentation about mapping - it contains a series of "tricks" and is the most detailed mapping guide for AC I've ever seen. The first step is here. /me read it entirely before mapping :D

And this goes for anyone wishing to help me with the mapping contest: I have an almost complete map but I feel there's something missing there (except snow, I acknowledge).

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Where to start to learn mapping? - by fscii - 15 Dec 11, 08:57PM
RE: Where to start to learn mapping? - by *Champion - 16 Dec 11, 07:13PM