My disqualification from the ACWC
(28 Jul 11, 11:04PM)titiPT Wrote: [...] what does unintentionally causing an issue for someone have to do with banning that person from playing in the acwc?
He deserves a sanction. Instead of legal actions (and that would actually be an overreaction), i prefer a linked sanction (it's still about ACWC).

(28 Jul 11, 11:16PM)Zarj Wrote: Just out of curiosity, what advantage did having this information give castiel? Or, how did he hurt the other teams by having this information?
If you speak about the username and password of my database, it gave him the advantage to do w/e he wants, like writing / modifying / reading any confidential informations (like passwords hash, email addresses, matches reports, etc.). Also he published these informations for more than 15 minutes and then he shared them with daylixx (yes he shared =>my<= password after stealing it).
Actually, he penalized the whole server security and user's informations privacy. It's not only about me, but about the hundred of registered users on acwc's web site.

(28 Jul 11, 11:45PM)jAcKRoCk* Wrote: It may have no real advantage, that's not the issue Luc@s is mad about, the fact is that he used his knowledge of php to get a private password and user name, causing Luc@s to not trust him anymore regardless of what he could have found.
exactly.

(29 Jul 11, 12:35AM)M__Stayla Wrote: Lucas, I don't know you well, but I know you enough to say you're a nice guy.

same for you castiel.

I understand Lucas, I'd be angry too.

But I also understand castiel, he just wanted to help, he didn't want something bad.

Why don't you 'take place' together in IRC and talk about this problem. Not just to discuss, who is right, also to find a solution, to solve the problem. Quoting and answering like here won't help at all!
There is nothing to "solve", apart from the server security issue and it has been done. I'm just trying to explain the the others, like ACWC participants, that a sanction is needed and the issue is serious. I'm sharing a (expensive) VPS, my work and my time for the organization of this tournament. Assert the security of all users is part of my task.
(29 Jul 11, 01:11AM)Xenon Wrote: Castiel has done nothing wrong. Read it all, my 2 cents
You must be kidding. He recognized himself he has done nothing wrong. He just said he had done it to help (which is right, but doesn't change my opinion).

(29 Jul 11, 01:11AM)Xenon Wrote: EDIT: Luc@s, how come Harrek + Daylixx get away with everything but Castiel doesn't. I think Castiel should not be banned, nor should anyone else. Harrek simply asked Castiel to help, I'm surprised some french people have stuck up for themselves this time and agreed.
There is a huge difference between castiel's mistake and harrek's or daylixx's ones. Maybe you don't have to keys to understand why. Yet, you should have all informations about that in this thread. I suggest you read it again.
Also i trust harrek and daylixx.

(29 Jul 11, 01:15AM)lucky Wrote: Trying to help and getting banned from the cup....dont you think that is taking it a little too far? Sure he did get the pass and username but i dont believe he should be banned from the competition if he in no way meant to harm it. ($0.02)
You have definitively not understood the issue. Read tempest's posts if you think my point of view is not neutral enough. He just says in clearer words what i'm trying to explain.
(29 Jul 11, 02:40AM)JamJamTheCalcMan Wrote: ive read the whole thing, and i honestly dont understand why castiel is being grilled.

lucas: something has caused you discomfort. this doesnt mean you have to be rude to all posters, including castiel.
Castiel has violated my privacy, the privacy of all users of acwc, he has shared my password, published it. I'm not even being rude.
(29 Jul 11, 03:49AM)MusicMan10 Wrote: i think disqualifying castiel from the ACWC was a gross overreaction
get over yourselves it's not the fucking olympics
get a life
(29 Jul 11, 05:26AM)V-Man Wrote: To be honest, I did look at the site's source when I first registered. Maybe it's a script nerd thing.
I usually do that. But it's not the debate anyway. Maybe someone has caught this informations, maybe a search engine did so. We'll never know!
(29 Jul 11, 05:26AM)V-Man Wrote: Web security is a serious issue. I think Castiel deserves a severe reprimand and lecture about it. To answer Zarj's question, having access to the site while also being an ACWC player gives not an immediate advantage, but a subtle potential for abuse that could mushroom out later. It's not that Castiel shouldn't be trusted, it's that nobody should be put into both positions at the same time. It's the potential for abuse that worries Lucas, not any suspicion of abuse or intent to abuse.
Exactly.
(29 Jul 11, 05:26AM)V-Man Wrote: At the same time, I do not believe Castiel should be banned from the ACWC or the website. This is a bit far. I believe that the punishment that (as Lucas said) is made necessary by the situation could be satisfied in the stern rebuke and lecture, and nothing more.
I banned castiel from the web site for security reasons. He's aware of the source, and again, i don't trust him anymore. It's not part of the "sanction".

Now about the sanction. What should i do then ? Some guys just don't understand what's the problem (maybe because of its technical aspect) so of course my decision sounds a bit rude for them. But i just can't let this unpunished. And the first and only sanction that came in my mind was to kick him from the tournament; instead of legal actions as said above. Seriously it's a light sanction compared to the offense.
(29 Jul 11, 05:26AM)V-Man Wrote: And that does not need to be public. This could have been best resolved through PMs, in my opinion, provided both parties can get on the same page. M__Stayla has the right idea.
Castiel obliged me to react here with his thread. Also he obviously wanted to oblige me to change my decision, he knew he would get some approbation involving people who are clearly not able to make their statement about this technical issue.

(29 Jul 11, 06:15AM)castiel Wrote: If he(lucas) wishes for me not to access the acwc site that is fine, I can have a teammate let me know what is going on.
Yes, it's not really a sanction.
(29 Jul 11, 06:15AM)castiel Wrote: I understand I have lost his trust which is fair enough, but expelling me from a large tournament as you said, should not be the answer/outcome.
I know how disappointing it can be to be kicked from a "large tournament". But you deserve a sanction, related to acwc imo. And you'll have time to play other tournaments... I wish it to you. But not this one.

(29 Jul 11, 07:08AM)castiel Wrote:
(29 Jul 11, 07:03AM)bballn45 Wrote: My example:

Say I were to hack admin on your server. What would you do to me? You would most likely ban me.

Reread the posts, I didn't forcibly hack his server.
Well you stole my password published and shared it.. it's still a serious issue.

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
My disqualification from the ACWC - by castiel - 28 Jul 11, 04:07PM
RE: My disqualification from the ACWC - by Luc@s - 29 Jul 11, 09:46AM