Post a screenshot of what you are doing (modding related).
protox Wrote:Elven, you don't have to worry about, this just a technical discussion. GeneralDisarray is right about the power of 2 rule and I was aware of it, but the problem has to do with the initial skins not following that rule.
Indeed and I wasn't even sure if the license would permit this - coordinates are in the md2 (format spec)... which neatly leads back to the issue - since md2 texcoords are integers in absolute space rather than relative (0.0 - 1.0), by rescaling I meant adjusting the ST array, not just the image as well.

Doing this manually is obviously error prone, time consuming and dehumanising, so my question really was does anyone have an md2 tool capable of this really trivial operation? After all, it's not impossible to imagine a scenario where you're skinning a model and halfway through you realise you want to go up or down in size...

protox Wrote:I don't think it is a significant issue however because even games like Quake2 never followed this rule, the skin dimensions were 284x195.
Male model only, female and cyborg used 252 and 260, to be precise :) There are many small technical reasons for this - Q2 wasn't an OpenGL-only game; vertical dimension doesn't matter on non-tiled maps; custom software renderer means you can precompute row addresses rather than "wrap" coordinates, making horizontal res irrelevant as well, etc - and in any case, since the most popular 3d card at the time was Voodoo which only supported up to 256x256, they were downscaled IIRC.

makkE Wrote:Another possibility would be to re-do the uv's, but then you'd have to redo all animations - again not really worth it.
Nope, there's only a single texture (absolute) coord array - and luckily, AC doesn't use it: only the precompiled GL command arrays are used, which use "proper" relative texture coordinates :) In fact this makes it possible that simple image rescale might work despite looking wrong in an editor...
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Post a screenshot of what you are doing (modding related). - by GeneralDisarray - 30 Mar 11, 11:11PM