Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion
My Thoughts:
First off, map choice (should) always dictate weapon choice. Some weapons (should be) are better suited to certain maps. That seems to be less true now in the newer version...

Shotgun is a game-killer right now. It seems ridiculously easy to ramp up your kill-ratio at the moment, running around blowing a hole through everything in sight. I'm no expert but something needs to be done to tone down the power of the shotgun. I got really pissed off the other day when someone accused me of being a shotgun noob. I simply replied that I was using the weapon the works. Sad but true. I don't see how that is being a noob, that is being smart. Plain and simple, it pwns.

SMG seems to be the other real favorite, and definitely my "obvious" second choice behind the shotty. I like that the SMG seems to be more effective further away but that does make me question what the hell are the other weapons meant for? (carbine, AR and Sniper). It feels more like the SMG is trying to be all things to all people in this new version. It should be put back more in the direction of mid-to-close-range use weapon.

The Sniper rifle seems a touch harder but I still enjoy using it. Is it slower in the newer version? I seem to be cut down a lot faster these days. It's always been one of those weapons that takes a lot of skill to use effectively IMO. That fact probably shouldn't change. Not sure what I'd do with the sniper rifle TBH. I guess if I was pushed I'd say that it needs to be closer to a 1 shot, 1 kill weapon (ignoring headshots). That's not to say that it should be a guaranteed kill but it should be pretty close IMO.

The AR I barely used in the prior versions, and I don't think I've touched it at all in the newer version (I prefer to use the Carbine which is like a long-distance shotgun). The AR needs some serious work and always has IMHO. To my mind it was/is always the weapon that noobs use because they're stuck with it and don't know how to switch weapons (the "default" weapon). It feels like once they figure out how to switch weapons they never go back to it. I guess the AR is supposed to sit somewhere between the sniper/carbine and the SMG/Shotgun, but it doesn't really feel like it belongs anywhere ATM.

I didn't like the Carbine at first, it seemed very underpowered, but I was trying to use it like an SMG but that isn't going to work since the rate of fire is so much lower. However, once I adjusted my strategy I found that I rather liked it and it can work pretty well. You're still screwed if you get up close, pretty much like a sniper rifle... you'll probably have one chance so you'd better make it count. If I had a comment, I'd say maybe make it a fraction/whisker/hair more powerful.

Pistol is fine IMO.

I like that you only pickup nades one at a time. Am I right in thinking that you can hold 3 at a time now? If so I think that's a good counter-balance for only being able to pick up 1 at a time. For me I think the lower respawn rate (they don't respawn as fast right?) and the fact that you usually only pick up 1, helps significantly in reducing nade spamming. I'd say mission accomplished.

Balancing anything is hard! Every weapon has to have a weakness, if you have one weapon that pretty much does it all, why bother using any of the other weapons? Overall, I'd say the weapons are just about right (except the shotgun), they just need some minor tweaking. I will say that this isn't necessarily because of the newer version. Some weapons like the AR have always been in need of tweaking.

Finally, the old adage "you can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time", holds true here. You're always going to have haters. I think the best approach would be to form a small focus-group of trusted users (probably well known clans and members), and let them play-test various settings. Let the people who play the game regularly and know what they're talking about decide, and then everyone else just has to suck it up (myself included). The core of the game is still AC, all we're talking about is weapon balancing, the core won't change. While I applaud your efforts at getting community feedback, at some point you have to say discussion is over, lets test with a small group of users and come to our final decision.

Keep up the good work!
(11 Nov 10, 06:58PM)Luc@s Wrote: ..but seriously, server owners : don't forbid words like "f**k" or "$#|t" :( that's so frustrating :(

For real yo? Come on man, small children play this game, we have to protect their delicate, innocent little ears and let them hone their pyscho-murdering skills in peace.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by Darkbee - 11 Nov 10, 07:33PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 08 Dec 10, 12:27AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 11 Dec 10, 01:10AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 13 Dec 10, 12:59AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 15 Dec 10, 04:10AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 15 Dec 10, 08:03PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 27 Dec 10, 05:55PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 27 Dec 10, 08:54PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 02:03AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 02:41AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 04:20AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 04:28AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 04:58AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 07:50PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 09:44PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 28 Dec 10, 11:50PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 29 Dec 10, 07:29PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 30 Dec 10, 10:17PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 31 Dec 10, 01:54AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 31 Dec 10, 04:01AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 31 Dec 10, 11:08PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 01 Jan 11, 01:18AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by CyberKlown28 - 01 Jan 11, 02:08AM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by System - 12 Jan 11, 04:43PM
RE: Weapon Balance and Gameplay Discussion - by System - 13 Jan 11, 02:14PM