Question to NextGen Maps/Models
Happy new year everyone,

thanks [aCKa]Deathstar for all the kind words but aslong there is no development team it would take us years to update graphics (models,animations etc) since its pretty much creating a new environment by just keeping the gameplay part, let´s say you could effectivly create 2 models each day(converting those to cube needs that time), with bug fixes etc. since you wont want to retouch them later on...would require much more time, you will have at the end of the year around 600 new models, which isn´t much if you compare model amount in games like CSGO etc. it wouldn´t even fill half of a map. In general there have to be much more people working on it to get a cool experience. Just look at CSGO maps they basicly retouched them over the years, half of them already been in there since the starts which means most of the maps been developed for 10 years or more (Dust, Mirage, Cache etc) Rebuilding that with even increasing the amount of models/details will cost more as anyone could spend atleast if he got a job and not much time to spend on modding, sadly.

Felix-The-Ghost, its hard to explain what exactly i mean since im not a native english speaker, but the screenshots show the difference between how much cubes you see and with that the effect on FPS which you can see down right bottom. I basicly tried to explain with it that the solid blocks (the player area, when you create a new map) in this engine called "heightfield" is the problem and i´ve not found a method to remove heightfields (the basic map platform) which in other engines you mostly would use a mesh ground and scripts to determ the max range where i player would get killed passing the line.

In every engine you have a 3D Room (I call it the skymap cube, 4 sides top and bottom textures) in this area we build our map, where in engines like unity, unreal, godot whatever we create a static ground for the player to stand on, creating a ray collision to make the player move on it without falling thru (basic method) and in assault cube they use this solid block method (the area created by the heightfield) which in this case costs us the most performance, even if they aren´t solid, tried that aswell. So i tried removing the heightfield and using a clip as ground and quad mesh as ground texture (clip doesnt has texture slot and wouldnt work that way) but to make this work there has to be a new engine code (kinda ray detection thing) which allow the player to spawn on the clips, since you would float in the air without "heightfields" since the game doesnt know where to place your player "model" when its not within the heightfield area or if there is no heightfield. It´s the 3D Room you see when creating a new map (its basicly a room in a room in assault cube)

Hope i could explain what i mean, you could try flying out of the heightfield/map and look away then check your FPS that should be the room your build your maps in (Do it in a new map, so you understand better how much it costs by just having a room in a room, which with quad mesh/clips would cost much less FPS.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 23 Nov 20, 02:19AM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by Marti - 23 Nov 20, 02:13PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 23 Nov 20, 05:03PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 24 Nov 20, 05:38PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 24 Nov 20, 08:31PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 26 Nov 20, 06:48PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 29 Nov 20, 07:28PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 30 Nov 20, 05:21PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 02 Dec 20, 12:49PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 02 Dec 20, 08:22PM