Sad to see the decline in the playerbase
Not everyone in CTF is supposed to rush for the flag like a mad mule. Some play more defensively, some just clear out the way for someone else to get the flag, some whore kills and some just like killing regardless of gamemode. This kind of thing existed even way back when I started and there were ~4 full servers of bs_dust2 CTF, not everyone plays the same. What's frustrating about this?

Pubs are pubs and as long as you respect your teammates and don't try to ruin the game, it doesn't really matter how you play. If they really piss you off that much, you CAN call a vote on them to piss off - just don't count on people hitting F1.

I have come (very intermittently) come back a few times and I'd say AC playerbase declined quite fast in the months following 1.1 release, I don't have any hard stats to back this up but I feel this weekend has bee a lot more active than some of the other little seasons that I've played, the rate of decline has certainly been very slow over the last few years. One thing about AC was, though, that at the time I started playing, insanely shit Intel GPUs were still very common (I recall Intel's IGP marketshare being well over 50% even back then) - even as "recently" as 2011 (past the "golden age" of AC) I could still buy a brand new Atom netbook that had one of those notorious intel onboards that barely managed playable FPS on AC. AC is one of the very few (still played) games to run acceptably on such shit hardware, and such hardware was abundant at the time (thanks Intel!) - however, times have changed, old computers have been ditched, and even Intel graphics are now useful. There's no "need" for vanilla AC any more and the playerbase is shrinking to the very small minority which still hold on to old computers or just like the simple and basic AC gameplay and maps even when their machines could run something "better".

...which of course means that we should lift mapping restrictions, allow more detailed and demanding maps, and allow a server to designate itself as "crapware friendly", only running low-demand maps. I honestly can't say that I don't miss the occasional hectic shootups in maps with floating furniture pieces and lights which were careful to include every shade and colour from omgimepileptic to SailorMcFlamerPride. I even miss the 24/7 dust2 servers. Even douze CTF looks good now. ACs strength was (and is) user-made content, and if we allow users to go wild instead of trying to enforce The One True Way, we could get a whole bunch of new players that don't fit into the aforementioned small minority.

Of course, if The One True Way must not be compromised and someone simply finds more adherents of The Way, that's fine too. I'm quite content coming back every now and then to have a shoot or two, see if the game is still kicking, but I would rather see all this magnificent work to turn into something different, even if the old guard disapproves of it, rather than become a relic of the past.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sad to see the decline in the playerbase - by JMM - 19 Jul 15, 02:16AM