Sad to see the decline in the playerbase
Let me introduce myself. I'm jockskratos, which is a play on the name [Fox] Kratos. Rip [Fox], a clan of envy for many (once) scrub players like myself.

I started playing assaultcube a bit after 1.1 was released in 2010. My real life best friend [PSY]Pwnmeister introduced me to the game. Assaultcube's the first fps game I really got into and is where I built up my skill at aiming with a mouse.  I had a blast playing the game very actively in 2010, 2011, and 2012 and have played on and off since then.

My favourite weapon was the assault rifle, with the carbine being a fun alternative, and the sniper being used on many custom maps. I played all types of maps, be it official, gema, camper, twin/mega towers, terrorists vs counter terrorists, vietnam war, and all sorts of other custom maps. My favourite maps were the ones that gave you decent room to move around, like douze, shine, and dust_2. I despised maps like rattrap because they would hinder strafing/jumping/rifle kicking. I often enjoyed headshotting people across the map in open spaces, or playing killing maps that seemed gema inspired.

Anyways, I feel the changes from 1.1 are what led to the decline in the player count.

-Max player counts were reduced (many people enjoyed the hectic gameplay)
-Shotguns were nerfed (I hated the shotgun in 10 v 10 servers, but a lot of people relied on it)
-AR Rifle kick reduced (really hurt GEMA and overall fun)
-AR damage nerfed (helps the SMG spam weapon)
-SMG spam weapon buffed (an annoying spam weapon)
-CTF douze removed, the map distilled gameplay down to movement, aim, reaction time. Your deaths were your own fault.

-Map restrictions tightened (many GEMA, camper, tower, miscellaneous custom maps were destroyed when they offered unique gameplay that many people enjoyed). Custom maps are what's keeping AC afloat today, but they seem considerably worse and less varied than the maps that were once available. 

AC 1.1 gave a do-what-you-want vibe to players and I think it's sad that the devs have tried to destroy unique player designed experiences.

I've been reading up on posts and feel people like undead should direct the gameplay development of the game. The devs have gone against the wishes of the playerbase (both competitive and unique map players) and the game has been decimated. I think whatever devs remain need to start coding what the community actually wants.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Sad to see the decline in the playerbase - by jockskratos - 26 May 15, 09:18AM