Range banned again
(24 Aug 10, 07:11PM)Lobo Wrote: I'm banned from most servers once again.
The Tyd blacklist entry for 82.154.0.0/16 is dated 13 February. I would guess you've been banned since then.
Quote:...the "range ban" policy ... doesn't prevent cheaters in any way...
This isn't true. Provided a range ban is accurate and comprehensive, it works. The problem is...
Quote:If you want to add new blood to this game - range bans are not the answer.
Absolutely true. This is the dilemma that conscientious server owners have: to range ban or not to range ban. I try to make sure that if a range ban includes innocent players, it is only for the most determined annoyances, but sometimes owners just want to get rid of the problem as quickly and easily as possible so that the majority of innocent players can play unhindered by cheats/idiots.
Quote:a login/pass ... would clear all the hackers.
If this were true, every game would be cheat free.
Quote:I've downloaded 1.1. already ... There's no one there most of the time.
There are 96 players on 17 servers while I write this. I accept this is not as many as pre-1.1, but it's hardly no-one.

It isn't fair that you should be banned because of someone else's actions, but it also isn't fair that server owners should have to allow a cheat to play (even if they no longer cheat) because of, at most, a handful of innocent players. Someone is always going to lose out - some server owners choose the cheat (and, unfortunately, you); some server owners choose the hundreds of other honest players.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Range banned again - by Lobo - 24 Aug 10, 07:11PM
RE: Range banned again - by OpenSource - 24 Aug 10, 08:09PM
RE: Range banned again - by Lobo - 24 Aug 10, 08:13PM
RE: Range banned again - by OpenSource - 24 Aug 10, 08:31PM
RE: Range banned again - by Lobo - 24 Aug 10, 08:43PM
RE: Range banned again - by jamz - 24 Aug 10, 09:59PM
RE: Range banned again - by Bukz - 24 Aug 10, 10:59PM
RE: Range banned again - by V-Man - 24 Aug 10, 11:06PM
RE: Range banned again - by Lobo - 25 Aug 10, 12:36PM
RE: Range banned again - by titiPT - 29 Aug 10, 12:38PM