Map popularity experiment 2 results
(27 Dec 12, 03:10PM)SKB Wrote: I can't disagree more. Non normalised NET varies in sample/frame/whatever it is size, therefore the values are not correct and should not be compared. Now, when you normalise by respective number of map loads, you get a constant 'NET per map load' size, which can be compared easily.

There is clearly something wrong with using net people per load to rank by popularity. OSOK+ac_shine is the fifth most popular according to this ranking, despite it only having 10 loads and 31 joins.
Non normalized net ranks them based on sheer popularity. It is saying, "Over the course of the study, 3323 players joined the server to play ctf on ac_shine". Load count is an entirely separate metric.

I tried combining the results by giving each map+mode a score for it's ranking by load count and by net players (142 for first, 141 for second, down to 1 for last) then summing the two scores. I am pretty satisfied with the results, I think that this more accurately reflects map popularity.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Map popularity experiment 2 results - by SKB - 24 Dec 12, 02:27PM
RE: Map popularity experiment 2 results - by Lantry - 27 Dec 12, 08:37PM