Looking for a map.
@Waffles,

I was going to argue against you based on AC being 'open source' and the fact that these maps are being distributed without licenses. I originally interpreted this to mean that these maps are essentially public domain.

I was conflating 'open source' with 'permissive license with copyleft' (I was only familiar with the GPL). But AC, although it is open source, it has a rather strict license.
Quote:You may re-compress the AssaultCube package(s) using different archival formats (i.e. zip/tgz/rpm/deb/dmg).
Any other changes beyond this, require EXPLICIT permission.
Quote:PLEASE NOTE: This license is for the entire UNMODIFIED AssaultCube package(s). You may choose to disect, and use or redistribute, etc. pieces of AssaultCube, instead of the entire package(s) if you wish. HOWEVER, you must adhere to the license specified for that particular data. If no license is specified, you MUST assume that the data is COPYRIGHT and you are NOT allowed to redistribute that data outside of an UNMODIFIED AssaultCube package(s).

So, regardless of what the mapmakers themselves feel, I think modifying maps would contradict the AC license for two reasons:
1. If you assume the maps are part of the 'AC package', then, since they have no accompanying license, they are to be assumed copyright.
2. If you assume the maps are not part of the 'AC package', then, although they have no accompanying license, they are still the intellectual property of their creators, regardless of how they are distributed.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Looking for a map. - by ProSmoke - 20 Feb 12, 04:20AM
RE: Looking for a map. - by Orynge - 20 Feb 12, 07:19AM
RE: Looking for a map. - by Mael - 20 Feb 12, 07:37AM
RE: Looking for a map. - by ProSmoke - 20 Feb 12, 03:54PM
RE: Looking for a map. - by OpenSource - 20 Feb 12, 05:54PM
RE: Looking for a map. - by Oracle - 20 Feb 12, 04:21PM
RE: Looking for a map. - by ProSmoke - 20 Feb 12, 05:19PM
RE: Looking for a map. - by ProSmoke - 20 Feb 12, 06:21PM
RE: Looking for a map. - by D1551D3N7 - 20 Feb 12, 08:35PM
RE: Looking for a map. - by Orynge - 21 Feb 12, 06:21AM