My thoughts on map restrictions
I agree with lucas.

These few restrictions aren't such a big deal and really only block the "broken" kind of maps.

Sure this method isn't the most convinient and sure, quite a lot of maps got blocked due to false pickup distance calculation, like there's a wall between two pickups and so on... But, I guess this short comings are fixed now and afaik the restrictions haven't got expanded much further and are rather easy to grasp anyways, aren't they?

The only real alternative method I can imagine would be re-coding the whole editor and remove the capabilities to create unhealthy arrangements, in first place. Though, let's face it. That's not going to happen soon, if at all. Given there have been loads of mappers being able to create high quality maps with the current editor, I doubt that's the big issue here.

Actually, all the mappers who've been reading the docs and trying to get their maps best compatible with the engine, have always been working within the now-enforced boundaries. Nothing new for those then.

Mappers, which try to push things up to their limits, will need to be more creative in order to get things working. I actually, do count myself into this group.

And all these pseudo-creative wannabe dadaists, who never gave a damn about the engine and it's capabilities... Well, why should we care while they couldn't even be bother to rtfm once.

- edit -

@Alien:

Adam's invisible hand relies on rational decisions. That's where the theory fails. Actually, humanity has proven it's irrational nature more than once and in the end, "rational" is a matter of definition anyways.

However, whether one's agreeing to such theories or not doesn't help here. This kind of theories come in handy as an argument as everbody starts agreeing, only because it sounds familiar. It seems like nobody is understanding it doesn't even fit this case. Therefore, get back on topic and leave the big words to big issues.

This is about mapping, which at best can be dealt with like a "craftsmanship". That's the level you should be argueing at.
Thanks. :)
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by Jg99 - 24 Dec 11, 07:45PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by V-Man - 24 Dec 11, 08:15PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by V-Man - 24 Dec 11, 08:38PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by V-Man - 24 Dec 11, 08:45PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by V-Man - 27 Dec 11, 05:56PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by V-Man - 27 Dec 11, 06:48PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by Luc@s - 27 Dec 11, 06:59PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by Alien - 27 Dec 11, 08:38PM
RE: My thoughts on map restrictions - by Mr.Floppy - 27 Dec 11, 08:50PM