I Need Beta Testers! (Mappers Preferred)
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.

A personal anecdote about how I became interested in programming, which I feel is relevant:
I took an "intro to programming" class, where I learned the barest basics of C++ as well as other basic information about how programs work. However, what really got me into programming was finding the source code to the ever-wonderful slime soccer. The game was simple enough that I could mostly understand how it worked, and could easily experiment with the code. I didn't understand anything about "proper programming", "game design", or any of that nonsense, but it gave me something to work with at a time when I wasn't good enough to create a game on my own. Sure, I could have just changed the colors of the slimes and released it as a whole new game, but that wouldn't have helped anyone at all and would be very obvious.

I think that V-Man's script will be similar. Yes, people can rely on it to completely make a map for them, but that is not the purpose. The purpose is to bridge the gap between learning the controls and learning how to make a good map. New mappers shouldn't be encouraged to use this for ideas, IMO. They should be encouraged to generate a map and then pay attention to what looks good, what looks bad, and how to make it better.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Need Beta Testers! (Mappers Preferred) - by Lantry - 30 Sep 11, 09:36PM