Is this forum's moderation failing?
"Well, cause the community is interested in beeing involved in everything - why not starting with writing down some simples rules rather than talking about. That's a lot better this accumulation of wounded vanities, cause-and-effect analyses and talking about personal qualifications."

I might not like ya, but at least I respect ya. In that sadistically nuerosexual way. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to deal with Zarj's nonsense...

"This forum is not just being moderated by two main clans.
Besides the devs, the TyDers, and DESers, there is also a |BC| mod, an #M|A# mod, and a U| mod. As well, two of the devs are members of BCFH| and w00p|.
"

Sweetness. How about someone post a sticky thread listing all the mods and what clans they are from? This way people will know who they might be dealing with when posting. You can also edit it when new mods are added or old ones leave. This way I will have an idea of who is likely to ban me for what or agree with me on a random topic.

"Mod Edit: Stop deleting the fact that you got a warning for this post, or you will get more warning points, or maybe just be banned."

It is his post and he has a right to edit as he wants. Why don't you make a moderator log that is viewable to all as a subforum and post the replies / topics that get warned in there so everyone knows for what and why they got rocked. They would also then have the opportunity to edit THEIR posts as they see fit, if they have changed the opinion, or just wanted to acknowledge a different viewpoint, or just feel like saying something they think actually deserves the warning points. You'll still have the logs of why they were warned in that subforum :).

"Boomhauer, there is nothing more annoying than people posting a meaningless picture as an attempt to make a mockery out of something other people consider very important."

For you maybe, for other people maybe, but for the majority of us? Hmm... no not really. I don't know much about anything but I do know that when I see a meaningless picture I laugh, and SCROLL down. A lot of neat things can come from that simple flick of the mouse wheel. Like lo and behold! You see the rest of the thread?! OMGBBQWTF. Cool isn't it?

"Secondly, how exactly are "the people" supposed to choose who to ban, which topics to close, etc? If you are suggesting "anything goes", then why don't we just have hacks, spambots, or better yet, some XXX-rated material on this forum? On the other hand, if people get to vote on what is acceptable and what is not, then people will simply spend all day deciding who to try to get banned, and it will all come down to who hates who more, and things will be even more political than they are now.
No, we need "police" on this forum. Perhaps the methods for choosing those police ban be changed, but we will always need moderators.
"

1984 much? Yea your secret identity is Mr. George Orwell. Society doesn't need police. If I were really excited right now I'd post some old Dr. Dre vids and see how that goes down. However I don't like rap all that much so you will be spared. This forum needs mods. Any forum in their right mind would need mods. How you became one with your obviously right wing / neo hardcore conservative viewpoint has got me poor little mind all in a loop. Although I give you credit. Your mod-edit posts are really funny. That's the kind of mod-editing we need to see. Seriously. The only difference is that the Mods are not Police. You're bringing the whole negative connotation upon Mods with your "Police" remarks. You'd think instead of fighting the battle you'd take a page out of some ancient strategy guide, try Sun-Tzu or something, and win your enemy over by acknowledging their views, whether or not you agree with them, and then take them into your confidence. Show them (us) that you care, by consulting them on certain things. Ultimately you can still do whatever you want, but at least it would feel like you're actually trying to help people with their forum problems (whatever those may be).

In truth? I think I'd be the best friggin mod in the world. I am open-minded enough to wield a banhammer of death properly. I am also well skilled in accepting other points of view as well as acknowledging ones that I don't agree with. Odds are I'd use the aforementioned banhammer of awesomeness very rarely, and only in cases requiring extreme action, in order to raise the fear and respect of the Art of the BanHammer to an altogether unheard of height. When people know that they can say almost anything, that they have that option, rarely do they use it. It's the knowing that counts. However, this is all very unlikely to happen, because I don't contribute nearly enough by current standards to warrant even a cursory glance of consideration for a position like this. Too bad.

"The devs run the forum. If the players want to go and make their own forum, they can go ahead and do so. The players can also go ahead and make their own game if they like, too.
But since the devs created the game which led to the creation of this community, I would say they deserve to hold power here.
"

I like when you make sense. It's so few and far between that when it happens I cry a little inside. The devs made this game. The devs run the forum. Without this the players wouldn't be here. That is true. However, without the players, the devs would still be having LAN parties with a few of their friends and nothing more. We are dependent on each other for existence. So why not give and take? The players need to be taken care of as a whole. When a solid majority of players don't like something action should be taken. Vice versa. Give a little to get a little. Players believe they deserve consideration based on the fact that they play. They put so much of their time into getting good, therefore drawing in other people who hunger for competition, when there is so many other things they could be doing in this world. We like the devs. So stop using them as an argument of ownership. Just because you were chosen to be a mod does not mean you have blanket approval for your mod actions. Granted screaming dev rights at the top of your lungs every time something happens is a great way to shield yourself from any disciplinary action... not that you would deserve any, but I think you really should ease up on your overzealous stance. Whether or not you're right, you still end up looking wrong. It's called Public Relations / Human Resources. Might be a good thing to look into. I in particular don't like you mostly because of how you act on the forums. More often than not I have important stuff to say, and I go out of my way to acknowledge parts of posts I agree with, only to find you or someone else zero-ing in on one part of my posts and missing what I said as a whole. While that is alright at times, some people do write their posts not as separate thoughts, but as one flowing stream of consciousness. So it gets very annoying when this is done.

Yes I know, sorry Apollo. ^^

"Yes, you are. And by bringing Hitler into this, you invoke Goodwin's Law, meaning you automatically lose the debate."

I think I'll settle for calling you Stalin. Fits quite well for this "police state" you dream so much about.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is this forum's moderation failing? - by MorganKell - 29 Sep 10, 04:32PM