(to Devs) Unique folder for mapmodels textures
(31 Jan 12, 12:19PM).ExodusS* Wrote: And what happen to all maps who have a custom .cfg file?
Nothing, why? This stuff happens in the model config.

(31 Jan 12, 12:24PM)Dementium4ever Wrote: The probably best would be, to get all textures together in 2 or 3 2048x2048 files. The alpha ones would get a extra file.

This makes everything easier for the graphics card.

Well, I guess some people still use graphics hardware with hwtexsize 1024 :P
That left aside, the benefit of such measures is questionable. How expensive texture switches are depends entirely on the graphics hardware. I'd guess graphics cards are designed with those things in mind, so they should be optimized for it. Batched rendering does make sense, because it doesn't really cost anything and also saves shader switches, VBO switches etc. On the other hand, using such large texture "sprite sheets" may actually have nasty side effects, e.g. killing cache performance on the GPU. In case the card runs out of video memory, it may even end up swapping those huge textures in form the main memory for every frame - ultimate performance killer guaranteed. I'm by no means experienced with computer graphics, let alone with such questions that can only be reliably answered by the hardware vendor, but I guess there's a reason why such techniques aren't widely used - not that I'd heard of it, anyway.

And something else I forgot: setting this up would be quite a pain in the ass, because it means we'd either have to calculate the actual UV coordinates while loading the textures (nontrivial job especially with non-square textures), or change them on each model by hand.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: (to Devs) Unique folder for mapmodels textures - by tempest - 31 Jan 12, 12:57PM