The AC 1.1 cheat detection policy and the AC 1.0 cases
Well Brahma, to be honest you haven't made the best start in the community.

I took notice of you for the first time (and I think the most people have in the same way) at the point of time the community started to boil over. Maybe some people don't remember anymore the past discussion shaked everything herer to its very foundations. Suddenly any aspect ot this game was raised in question (e.g. nr of server slots, the maprotation, competing ladders, the way the development goes aso)....

To that time you started to discuss the blacklisting thingy. You maybe remember that we both
doesn't share the same opinion much often to that time. Mainly cause it sounded in my ears like "I know much better how to do it" - or in other words: the effort I and several other people have showed for more than a year, to hunt all cheaters and offenders and to keep the weak community building together has been useless.

Maybe it has been a matter of bad timing. Maybe also some kind of misunderstanding.
Whatever - In one point you are definitely right: The game, the comminity (or the last standing rest of it) has a big problem with cheaters. In my opinion it's now much more annoying than in 0.93 times.

Therefore it is obvious that it is the right decision to work on a mechanism to catch and eliminate hackers. Every good game is using such a detection tool (e.g. punkbuster) so every serious gamer should be able to deal with this concept. Also the decision to exclude the mechanism out of the open source part is the right decision. Otherwise we could give up immediately. It marks also a serious-minded turning point on the developer's side.

Well, I (still) think it isn't the task of any developer to watch demos or doing something else to catch actively a cheater. They (you) should do it for fine-tuning your toolset. In the moment it becomes a regular part of AC, it does the dirty work for you and everyone else. This seems to me much more stressless as to discuss every single ban.

And the community should acceppt that there are many people out there, who are cheating. Some people are doing in an obvious manner (flying around you aso) - for these people you dont need any complex analyzing. But there are obvious also people (the "pro" cheater) who are doing it much more descrete (with aimbots), always telling you how skilled they are. We have to bite this bullet now. A hard lesson, but a necessary one.

At least I won't comment Drakas "remote talking" much. Only one thing - this behavior reminds me to that of another guy who troubled us with his clan and servers a year before and which has been demonized also by Drakas. What a coincidence and something to think about...

Nevertheless - Mael is right, when he said that If anyone has any further comments on specifics that they should take their discussion elsewhere. I recommend the same.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The AC 1.1 cheat detection policy and the AC 1.0 cases - by Apollo{TyD} - 20 Jun 10, 09:47PM
RE: The AC 1.1 cheat detection policy and the AC 1.0 cases - by Dark_Alex101 - 30 Sep 10, 02:05AM