AC Blog-ish
(29 May 15, 09:51AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: While I actually appreciate this attempt, I wonder why you don't try to put down the the overall pipeline first and then drill down into each aspect from there.

What do you mean by pipeline? I'm trying to understand exactly what is linked with what before I figure out (generally) what does what. The first thing I'd probably tackle are the compiler warnings
(29 May 15, 09:51AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: On your 'irritations' about the state of the code, I'd like to point out the following in order to prevent people from getting the wrong picture:

Wouter as the initiator of the cube engine has stated himself that this code was never meant to be a real open-source project and he has willingly programmed as it comforted him best, regardless the readability to other people. Unfortunately he's one of those programmers that don't comment much. Yeah, that is considered bad style throughout literature, but hey it obviously did work for him and so did it later for eihrul and others. There should be a readme somewhere next to the source files, where this is written down.

Not that I'm defending anyone here, I just don't like how you make grown programmers look like they didn't know what they were doing and totally disregard from what spirit this code was born and how it has been 'patched up' with new functionality which wasn't even planned on the initial design. That's where things always get messy. :P

This thing?

OPEN SOURCE
===========
Cube is open source (see ZLIB license above). This only means that you have
great freedom using it for your own projects, but does NOT mean the main cube
code is an "open source project" in the sense that everyone is invited to
contribute to it. The main cube code will remain a one man project (me), as my
minimalistic design is highly incompatible with the open source philosophy. If you
add to the cube source code, you fork the code and it becomes your own project,
do not ask for me to integrate your changes into the main branch, no matter
how brilliant they are.
To be fair, it's kind of difficult to make a game engine at all, so mad props to Wouter (or whoever wrote it) for doing so. But again, you should still try to make it readable because it's..... code. That being said, why open source it if it wasn't really supposed to be open source in the first place (That's how it sounds)?

(29 May 15, 09:51AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: I'm not big into C/C++, but I don't see what's wrong with #ifdefine-ing included files. I wish I could do this on another coding language that I'm working with. And what's wrong with keeping major parameters and the main loop in one file, namely cube.h?
Absolutely nothing is wrong with #ifndefine _something_here_ #define _something_here #endif structure. What I'm actually trying to say (sorry for the garbled English) is that they should use that /more/ as they separate the files into smaller chunks. They also don't really keep major parameters in one file, they just decided to throw everything in there for some odd reason. The main loop, anyway, seems like it should go in main.cpp. Feel free to correct me if I'm somehow wrong about this >.>
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
AC Blog-ish - by Mousikos - 29 May 15, 12:14AM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Mousikos - 29 May 15, 06:06AM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Mousikos - 29 May 15, 08:07AM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Mr.Floppy - 29 May 15, 09:51AM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Mousikos - 29 May 15, 11:16AM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Mr.Floppy - 29 May 15, 11:55AM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Mousikos - 29 May 15, 06:30PM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by MathiasB - 29 May 15, 06:51PM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Luc@s - 29 May 15, 06:34PM
RE: AC Blog-ish - by Mousikos - 29 May 15, 06:40PM