The square, the score: how to live happy and lift up AC
(22 Mar 14, 01:18PM)Orynge Wrote: AC is now well and truly ancient and I don't see the player-base growing anytime soon.

AC was never intended to be comparable to the triple-A titles which you mention (e.g. LoL or PS2) so direct comparisons in terms of gameplay or graphics aren't very good, and this is not a major reason why the player-base is declining. Triple-A titles were around in 2010 when AC was at its peak.

What needs to happen is a huge shake-up of the dev team. For too long the dev team has been dominated by people that simply don't see the long-term viability of this project as their main concern. I'm sure they believe they have the game's best interests in heart, but in no way has their work been remotely successful in stemming the tide of players who have been slowly leaving over the course of all post-1.0.4 releases.

(22 Mar 14, 10:55AM)Undead Wrote: i would love for the devs to take my suggestions on board

This is probably the main barrier to progress as a project, which we as a community must address. Somehow the dev team needs to put their pride behind them and put some sort of reforms in place so that in 5 years, there is still a widely-played AssaultCube. It is possible, and if it means that you have to have compromised your idea of where the game should go, so be it.

As some final words on the subject: Clearly there are issues with the project. This much is inescapable. There has been no meaningful progress in terms of making the game more appealing, or instituting innovative changes to mechanics of the game. The game itself is not very enjoyable when you compare it to other games in its genre, and especially when you compare it to games outside its genre. This has always been true of AC. What you, as a dev team, have to work out, is whether it's worth it to continue this project with a low amount of changes, and a constantly declining player base. The community can ask for changes as much as they want, as we have been, but when you section yourself off from the rest of the community and make it your responsibility to lead the development, you take the onus when player numbers continue to dwindle and relatively small releases take fucking years. Anyway, this isn't just me having a dig at any of the devs specifically, but rather at the continued degradation of the game I used to adore.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The square, the score: how to live happy and lift up AC - by Foo - 23 Mar 14, 07:43AM