Mappers Interviews: Exoduss
sorry to answer for exodus, but i had to input my expertise.

whenever i'm making a map, i measure the exact mid point between paths for balance purposes. using this mid point, you can distribute pickups evenly so that each side has an even change of securing a fair proportion of pickups. this is why you largely see the akimbo within the area of the direct center of the map on any decent map. and yes, i also plan out flag interception paths so that it is actually possible to catch up to people who steal the flag by taking shortcuts. on one of my antiquated maps, ac_dune, this was one of the foremost problems with its layout. i draw heavily on my competitive experience to do all of these things, which is why i firmly believe a decent grounding in competitive AC, or at least the willingness to do some analysis into it, is very necessary to create balanced maps. its also the reason why i don't respect the authority of certain dev's opinions.

regarding the amount of paths on a map, there is once again, no particular superior. maps more often than not never follow a set amount of path, but usually have a set amount of base entrances/exits. for example, desert3 essentially has 2 entrances into each base, but plays out exactly like a 3vs3 map due to the sudden path complexity once you leave the bases. depot plays out horribly because it maintains 2 paths through the entire map. as does iceroad and keller.

the reworked iceroad, however, was reworked specifically because of this problem. it has 3 entrances, but this was to push people through the map as fast as possible to offset the large size of the map. the map itself has a number of paths that are created and disappear as you run through the map. 1 path, the topside bridge path, is the primary and defined path on the map, while the bottomside path weaves in and out. the gameplay works incredibly well, and despite being a very unorthodox layout, was probably more specifically planned than any other map i've made. its a true shame it didn't make it into 1.2

anyway, the gist of this is, when you're mapping, just try to create something that you would have fun playing on. don't try to emulate official maps (I see this far too often, probably because the devs encourage it), and you'll eventually come to understand how paths fit into a map.
the most important thing to realise is that there is absolutely no set formula to creating a map. r4zor made ac_sunset by just connecting rooms together randomly, and somehow that created a decent map. as with any profession, the best advice to get better is to just do it.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by Pi_Halo - 19 Mar 14, 01:28PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by Waffles - 19 Mar 14, 03:57PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by YesWeCamp - 20 Mar 14, 12:41PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by ExodusS - 20 Mar 14, 04:34PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by 1Cap - 20 Mar 14, 08:42PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by ExodusS - 20 Mar 14, 09:05PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by 1Cap - 20 Mar 14, 10:48PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by Marti - 20 Mar 14, 11:32PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by ExodusS - 20 Mar 14, 11:33PM
RE: Mappers Interviews: Exoduss - by Undead - 21 Mar 14, 07:06AM