[Question] Editing Scope (White Outline) [SOLVED]
I found the problem and the solution! Has nothing to do with alpha channels or the selection tool, since the images are clear in any paint program or when viewed in a web browser.

Photoshop (at least version 7) saves very unoptimized PNGs, this creates a large file size. The cube engine appears to have some type of a limit and compensates by limiting transparency. This is why small PNG files like items or icons don't suffer from this problem when saved from within photoshop, only if you add a lot of detail/transparency/gradients.

The solution is to save the file as a transparent TIFF, load it up in GIMP and re-save it. (Loading photoshop PNGs or PSDs in GIMP doesn't seem to work) GIMP appears to be using a much better algorithm to compress PNG files and therefore this limits the problem, since the filesize is smaller. However if you create a large image with a bunch of gradients and transparency in GIMP this problem also occurs.

Here is a clean and perfectly centered scope I created, I found that the original scope is not exactly correct because it's off by some pixels and is not a perfect circle but more like an oval.
[Image: PpkIC.jpg]

And here is the scope.png file I made, place it in assaultcube dir/packages/misc
[Image: Z08xl.png]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Question] Editing Scope (White Outline) - by protox - 10 Sep 10, 09:15PM