Poll: Would you torture a terrorist to save 1,000 lives?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
23.91%
11 23.91%
Yes, if it saved lives
50.00%
23 50.00%
Yes, I would anyway
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would you torture a terrorist to save 1,000 lives?
(20 Apr 13, 02:21AM)Roflcopter Wrote:
(20 Apr 13, 01:00AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(19 Apr 13, 09:56PM)ElCrema Wrote: The scenario or circumstances will ALWAYS be irrelevant, no exceptions should ever be made when it comes to someone's right to due process.
In my opinion circumstances are always relevant. I have my doubts that say your family and friends were kidnapped and placed in a hidden basement somewhere with a timer bomb, and you had the chance to torture the person that did it for information, you would hesitate from doing so because you wouldn't want to defile his civil/human rights. It's just an example but really I think that circumstances are everything in these types of situations.

That argument is an appeal to emotion really. One would be motivated by feelings not informed by reason.

There you have it. Due process is a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT, it is VERY precious. It exists just so one persons feelings or needs won't matter more than other persons rights. We as a society should ALWAYS be vigilant to keep this intact. My family and lives of my loved ones are importatnt to me, but in the bigger picture they sure are not more important than someone elses civil liberties. People just don't realise how thin is the line betwen democracy and oppresion. It vis very dangerous to go down the road the pool here suggests.

The poll says: "A bomb is planted and set to go off shortly. You have captured the terrorist who can disarm the bomb" and here for me is where the whole problem lies. You CAN NOT NEVER know for sure that that one guy is the one who did it if don't give him the right to deffend himself in a court of law. That is the fundamental flaw here, even in a hypothetical situation like this is never too much to stress the fact that everyone is innocent until proving guilt on court run by his peers. If you ever loose sight of this little fact you might as well just run for hills, caus things might get uggly fast...
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you torture a terrorist to save 1,000 lives? - by Money$hot - 19 Apr 13, 09:18PM
RE: Would you torture a terrorist to save 1,000 lives? - by ElCrema - 20 Apr 13, 02:44AM