8th Official Mapping Competition!
Quote:You can't get it to load in multiplayer unless it's set to co-op editing mode, and then switch editing off so you can shoot each other.

To load the map just type "/map klis_2" in the chat prompt you get when you press "T". In singleplayer, just pres "E" to enter edit mode then "T" and then "/map klis_2"

About the update...well, I thought about it, but I can't get my head around some of the map restrictions, especially as there are loads of crappy maps out there that seem to have a lot of open space and stretch vertically more than 30 cubes high.

I thought about how to remake the map to fit the map restrictions, but the essence of this map, is trying to make a medieval fort, which is built, like many other ones in real life, to have a wide difference of height, thus giving defenders an upper hand by allowing them to rain missiles down on the attackers. With a 30 cubes height limit, the vertical difference is very hard to achieve.

I'm still not sure what breaks my map, checking it now, it about 70 cubes high, not counting the well which I could get rid of if needs be, and about 390x140 cubes wide and long. There are no solid "F" walls anywhere except around the fort (outside the play area) as to minimize the empty space and get more FPS out of it.

If I don't figure out a way to get more height available, the only option I see is to squish the fort vertically, which would make it lose much of it's intended gameplay. With that in mind I could also make some buildings use solid walls, which would make it less open, but it will also remove some of the rooftop hopping, and also remove the height variation between the buildings, which is a part of the intended gameplay also.

As I see it, it would be like powder milk; it's still milk alright, but it tastes like crap.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8th Official Mapping Competition! - by Felix-The-Ghost - 11 Mar 13, 12:08AM