Competitions: AC Weekend Cup
On the first point, the reason 2pm is chosen is because it's more ideal for Americans. Sunday is chosen simply because I am not generally free on Saturday. I appreciate that some timezones won't find it easy to play, and I agree with you running on Saturday would be good. The only thing this would require would be a referee that's available at that time.

If Waffles, or someone else, can organise a Saturday tournament too then I can provide the necessary features of the website (most referee tools are already coded).

With regards to modes, we have polls built-in so we can allow players to vote on the following week's events. I think 3v3 CTF will probably be the dominant mode.

With regards to brackets, these are already displayed once the signups are closed. And yes the bracket auto-updates as the tournament progresses. Before the signups the teams participating are simply listed instead.

Third place doesn't make much sense in single elimination tournaments mathematically. With properly seeded trees second places can usually be "correct".

With regard to map selection, we will have a map pool: that is, a map for each round. In team modes these are played on both sides. Again, this is just the plan at the start and things will change depending on consensus.

Once the website is fully coded we'll have IRC or IRC-like chat features. For now you're right that IRC is probably a good idea.

With regard to punctuality the current rule is "If you're more than ten minutes late you risk forfeiting your place". We don't currently limit the size of teams but that's a possible future step we may take if it's desirable.

With regard to players in the server, this is unavoidable. Matches are played in quick succession, and it's highly desirable that the next team be ready straight after the last match.

The plan is to have one or two referees running things. It's not absolutely necessary that referees watch each of the earlier matches but we'll aim to.

You're right the format gives us several possibilities and the beauty is we can try new things and see which are preferred. Note we don't aim to play three rounds generally, just one round either side of the round map. I think 10 minutes per side would be a good solution actually. Or the other possibility is that AC Weekend Cup servers have the "half-time" functionality that I coded before where sides are switched at 7:30.

Thanks for your post, it has had some great ideas! Of course this is more likely to excite competitive players, but I'd also like to hear the concerns and thoughts of those people who perhaps wouldn't usually play AC competitively, but who would consider it.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Roflcopter - 29 Sep 12, 03:58AM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Undead - 29 Sep 12, 07:09AM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Roflcopter - 29 Sep 12, 12:22PM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Undead - 29 Sep 12, 02:14PM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Waffles - 30 Sep 12, 05:50AM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Cemer - 03 Oct 12, 10:38PM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Undead - 04 Oct 12, 09:50AM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Link - 03 Oct 12, 10:40PM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by Oracle - 04 Oct 12, 12:12AM
RE: Competitions: AC Weekend Cup - by ReDBuLL - 04 Oct 12, 05:46PM