Ideas
you could always move the changes back to 1.0.4 graphics style and remind us why AC is badass...
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 07:38AM)Aekom Wrote: I can't imagine it being something hard to include in the game and it would be another good way of knowing when you hit your targets. Maybe the devs could backport it from sauer.

I actually made it in cubescript for Enam yesterday. I'm planning on including a better version of it with some other things later.
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 08:22AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Its possible to script in the SVN right now using onHit.
Ah, that's right. It'll be easy, then.
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 06:41PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I actually made it in cubescript for Enam yesterday. I'm planning on including a better version of it with some other things later.

Would be nice if it was hardcoded into the game, but can I take a look at that script when you're finished?
Thanks given by:
Quote:sure, i'll offer a solution but you won't like it.
offer me the ability to add maps to the SVN as well as edit the current ones. any changes can be changed by the other developers back but i guarantee there will be little disagreement. if you don't trust me enough or don't like the idea of undead the dev i can draw up a list of maps that have the potential for official status as well as maps that need to be changed and a vague description of what can be done about its issues.

(by Undead obviously)

Like he points out, you don't have to make him mapping dev. But he's one of the best mappers in ac and you waste this opportunity? I think this is more about the fact that certain people cordially dislike him, sadly. If you're able to leave that aspect out and just care about the development of the game he can do a lot. I'm happy avenue has been added as future official map but stellar and edifice won't be much fun. Industrial is ok for pubs I guess, I dunno if it'll work for inters / cm's.

I also think the balance issue should be dealt differently. Players of the best and established clans should be encouraged to test the svn on a constand basis in inters. They discuss about it afterwards and give you feedback. You then change some values according to their opinions and the svn gets updated. Once they agree on an acceptable svn the game is ready to be released concerning the balance issue. I think that way balance would be way more efficient and gameplay will be balanced both concerning public and private gameplay.

If that is too complicated appoint one or a few players as "balance devs". People that constantly play inters / cm's (like bouke for instance). They are the ones you trust and they should have a strong influence on your decision what needs to be changed (their opinion should be based on other people's feedback + their own opinion and feeling).

Or any other way to make the balance process more efficient...

On another note (not important): If possible change the dying animation. It would look much better if players wouldn't float but slowly fall to the ground, more realism and would be nice to show in frag movies.

Please see all of this as feedback, I don't mean to criticize harshly ;)
Thanks given by:
(13 Sep 12, 11:07PM)Aight Wrote:
Quote:sure, i'll offer a solution but you won't like it.
offer me the ability to add maps to the SVN as well as edit the current ones. any changes can be changed by the other developers back but i guarantee there will be little disagreement. if you don't trust me enough or don't like the idea of undead the dev i can draw up a list of maps that have the potential for official status as well as maps that need to be changed and a vague description of what can be done about its issues.

(by Undead obviously)

Like he points out, you don't have to make him mapping dev. But he's one of the best mappers in ac and you waste this opportunity? I think this is more about the fact that certain people cordially dislike him, sadly. If you're able to leave that aspect out and just care about the development of the game he can do a lot. I'm happy avenue has been added as future official map but stellar and edifice won't be much fun. Industrial is ok for pubs I guess, I dunno if it'll work for inters / cm's.

I also think the balance issue should be dealt differently. Players of the best and established clans should be encouraged to test the svn on a constand basis in inters. They discuss about it afterwards and give you feedback. You then change some values according to their opinions and the svn gets updated. Once they agree on an acceptable svn the game is ready to be released concerning the balance issue. I think that way balance would be way more efficient and gameplay will be balanced both concerning public and private gameplay.

If that is too complicated appoint one or a few players as "balance devs". People that constantly play inters / cm's (like bouke for instance). They are the ones you trust and they should have a strong influence on your decision what needs to be changed (their opinion should be based on other people's feedback + their own opinion and feeling).

Or any other way to make the balance process more efficient...

On another note (not important): If possible change the dying animation. It would look much better if players wouldn't float but slowly fall to the ground, more realism and would be nice to show in frag movies.

Please see all of this as feedback, I don't mean to criticize harshly ;)

So if we give undead mapping dev status and take out edifice and stellar, will AC be a good game for everyone?

Not to be rude but I'm getting pretty tired of having my hard work shit on.

The devs already have a plan to make 'biased' maps a thing of the past but people can't even try something because change is so horrible in this community.

Honestly thinking of quitting altogether.
Thanks given by:
hard work? don't make me laugh
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 05:56AM)Bukz Wrote: Honestly thinking of quitting altogether.

Why? I mean, I don't know what Aight was trying to get at by suggesting that some of the new maps aren't fun, but his gun balance idea isn't bad. It'll save you the hassle of trying to get it right yourself, so everybody wins.

Quote:The devs already have a plan to make 'biased' maps a thing of the past but people can't even try something because change is so horrible in this community.

Can you explain this plan further? Also, just because some people here want the "old 1.0 glory days" back, doesn't mean the rest of us do. Like Ventex said, it's just false nostalgia. They're the loud minority group on this forum so they can sod off, but the rest of us actually do appreciate the changes and improvements being made to AC.
Thanks given by:
A dedicated testing team would be advantageous. If whomever was in charge of balance (not even sure who that is anymore) was to be actively observing testers play or encouraging that to even happen it could speed up the process. Obviously wanting the game to be better is motivation enough, but if the community had the gratification of having their ideas heard in a practical setting, it may help the tension subside.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 07:33AM)Vermi Wrote: hard work? don't make me laugh

Yep, hard work. Lots of hours put into it for apparently nothing. What have you done in the past few years to help improve the game there Vermi? Not shit, thats right.

(14 Sep 12, 07:42AM)Aekom Wrote: Can you explain this plan further?

A mastermode for clan matches specifically. Every round the teams play 7.5 minutes on CLA, after which the scores preserved and teams flipped, where they will play 7.5 minutes on RVSF. At the end of it all the team with the best score wins that round. If both teams have to play an equal amount of time on both sides of the map each time, there are no biased maps.
Thanks given by:
Vermi has done alot for the game...

If you guys implement that mode<3 ohemgee guiz, will be da best thing evar
Thanks given by:
If you consider trolling on the forums 'doing a lot for the game' then sure, you're right.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 12:51PM)Xenon Wrote: If you guys implement that mode<3 ohemgee guiz, will be da best thing evar

This. The only way to make it balanced without erasing all maps & starting from scratch. Would be nice. <3

Also vermi should be banned for not agreeing stellar is hard work. That map has 100 hours put in easily.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 12:54PM)Bukz Wrote: If you consider trolling on the forums 'doing a lot for the game' then sure, you're right.
Everyone trolls.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 12:32PM)Bukz Wrote: A mastermode for clan matches specifically. Every round the teams play 7.5 minutes on CLA, after which the scores preserved and teams flipped, where they will play 7.5 minutes on RVSF. At the end of it all the team with the best score wins that round. If both teams have to play an equal amount of time on both sides of the map each time, there are no biased maps.

There'll still be some advantage either going first or going second for a particular side but that suggestion would help alot. The other issue with biased maps really is not a competitive one, it's simply that they're not fun to play. Switching sides won't help that issue at all.

I really support the idea of putting Undead as the mapping dev. I also think I would do a very good job at balancing the game. I understand this game extremely well at all levels of play, I have experience at invite-only level play in another FPS, I have a track record of being very moderate with regard to tournaments I've previously run. I also know Undead and can work well with him, he just gets the issues each map faces and he's shown he's a great map creator himself (check out his iceroad revision).

Also no one isn't appreciative of the developers' work, but it does appear quite slow and parts like balance seem to be a step backwards. Some help can go a long way when it's from players who have played as long as us.
Thanks given by:
@Roflcopter, don't take this the wrong way, but if you have the ability to help balance the game, what has been stopping you from doing it and forwarding a patch to a current dev?

Also, Undead isn't the only experienced mapper that can help as far as fixing up good custom maps for official status goes. Hes also extremely immature and wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility. So I'm 100% against giving him any sort of dev access to the game. If he wants to help he can, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 03:17PM)Bukz Wrote: @Roflcopter, don't take this the wrong way, but if you have the ability to help balance the game, what has been stopping you from doing it and forwarding a patch to a current dev?

It's a very fair question. I have made a lot of suggestions, but it's true I never turned any ideas into patches. That's probably due to two things, the first being uncertainty of whether the idea would be accepted and the second being because I have never tested my ideas well enough to be sure they're good.

If I'm put in charge of balance, I will start organising lots of inters and some clan matches to properly develop my ideas. Until then it seems I risk wasting a lot of time on something that may not be accepted.

(14 Sep 12, 03:17PM)Bukz Wrote: Also, Undead isn't the only experienced mapper that can help as far as fixing up good custom maps for official status goes. Hes also extremely immature and wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility. So I'm 100% against giving him any sort of dev access to the game. If he wants to help he can, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

I can't really imagine Undead doing any damage -- especially if the development team force reviews of all patches we suggest. I'm pretty sure Undead would rise to the responsibility rather than abuse it. Also I think Undead is probably the only one who understands competitive play at a high level.
Thanks given by:
Excuse me for not getting my masters in notepad and wasting my weekends not enjoying coding and bitching every 5 minutes the moment i am criticized for my fucked up rationale, I have never claimed to contribute anything. larry needs to forward his code to the devs?, why not kill the middle man?
Thanks given by:
@Roflcopter, if you could put some of those ideas you have into a working patch for SVN, I'm sure the devs would look at it and test it out, myself included. If its better for the game it will be implemented, no doubt.

I'm not the guy in charge of recruiting new devs, but if I were, I would want to see some stuff on paper before I made someone a dev. I'm guessing you will have a better chance if you do this.

(14 Sep 12, 03:48PM)Vermi Wrote: larry needs to forward his code to the devs?, why not kill the middle man?
You should really read and understand things before you talk about them. There is no code to forward to us yet. If theres nothing for us to review or test, whats the use?

Also well said @ your other nonsense.
Thanks given by:
larry has coded plenty of things in the past, numerous hitfixes which are only implemented by server operators with brains, of course he hasn't patched anything yet, that's why we are having this discussion Bukz.... 2 many cones mate?

In my eyes if you are forwarding code to a "dev", then you are a dev.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 04:19PM)Vermi Wrote: larry has coded plenty of things in the past, numerous hitfixes which are only implemented by server operators with brains, of course he hasn't patched anything yet, that's why we are having this discussion Bukz.

In my eyes if you are forwarding code to a "dev", then you are a dev.
WTF Vermi...
This is the only thing I can bring myself to appreciate which you've typed and I've read in the last year. Too little too late. GTFO.

Even when I have time, I don't have enough time.
Aight, Waffles, I had the same idea as you and am working on it. There is a magical place being prepared for focused discussion of just these things. Details to come.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 02:58PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I also know Undead and can work well with him, he just gets the issues each map faces and he's shown he's a great map creator himself (check out his iceroad revision).

He should post a thread with the revision & send it to aerke. :3
Thanks given by:
switch side at 7.5 m? That would be the worst idea ever.

What if I have the flag and I am going to score? What if I am 100/100? Teamwork, domination, pickup (kevlar, akimbo) control, everything... It would be like starting another round. Just do 2 games...

No I would not play like that srsly
Thanks given by:
1) There will be a countdown to 'half-time' if you have the HUD clock enabled. You will be well aware when teams will be flipped. If you miss out on a flag because of it thats because you ran out of time to score on that side of the map. Its no different when you miss a flag because of an intermission currently.
2) Nobody is forcing you to use the clan match mastermode or play at all.

Its also the only reasonable idea I've seen suggested to negate the 'biased' maps debate. So yeah, worst idea ever eh?
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 08:13PM)Edward Wrote: switch side at 7.5 m? That would be the worst idea ever.

What if I have the flag and I am going to score? What if I am 100/100? Teamwork, domination, pickup (kevlar, akimbo) control, everything... It would be like starting another round. Just do 2 games...

Bukz' suggestion was equiavlent to playing two (albeit shorter) rounds. I mean there's the same "issue" you mention if you play two games.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 08:17PM)Bukz Wrote: 1) There will be a countdown to 'half-time' if you have the HUD clock enabled. You will be well aware when teams will be flipped. If you miss out on a flag because of it thats because you ran out of time to score on that side of the map. Its no different when you miss a flag because of an intermission currently.
That does not change anything. You wanna play this map as cla and rvsf? Fine, do 2 rounds (shortest) in the same map as cla and as rvsf but do not stop at mid-game and break the concentration and tactics of player.

(14 Sep 12, 08:17PM)Bukz Wrote: 2) Nobody is forcing you to use the clan match mastermode or play at all.
Fine so.

(14 Sep 12, 08:17PM)Bukz Wrote: Its also the only reasonable idea I've seen suggested to negate the 'biased' maps debate. So yeah, worst idea ever eh?
Sorry dude. Just my opinion if I may.
Thanks given by:
You don't get it obviously, nothing changes except things get more fair for everyone if they use the clan match mastermode.

Edit: Nothing of significance that will hurt the game will change anyways. Having both teams play both sides of the map for an equal amount of time will make it so 1 clan cannot pick a 'biased' map so they can have an easy win. You might be on the team with the advantage for the first half of the match, but you will be playing on the other side for the second half, so it evens out.
Thanks given by:
Here's a quick example patch that adds two features to SVN.
  • Adds /switchteams command to swap the sides around (very useful when setting up matches)
  • Disables autoteam when mastermode is set to match (currently if the server is reopened during a match teams might be shuffled by autoteam)

You'll need to add the line
[cubescript]const switchteams [ callvote 13 ][/cubescript]
to config/admin.cfg get a properly working /switchteams command.

No warranty included! Not thoroughly tested.
Thanks given by:
My idea is a new mode :ctf just with the sniper ant 1 health .
In the mode maybe use the strafe jump (quake )
Because tosok is just boring when you must wait the end of round (20 player )
Thanks given by:
There were/are servers that ran/run the mode you describe.

What do you mean by "use the strafe jump"? Don't people do that anyway?
Thanks given by: