Giving the helmet a sound its own..
Hey guys,

I've been trying to make the Kevlar vest and the helmet get their own sounds.

So far, I've done this:

"registersound "misc/pickup_helmet" // 99 - S_ITEMHELMET"

I added ^that^ in my sounds.cfg and I added "pickup_helmet.ogg" in the Sounds\Misc folder.

No luck with the above.. I can only get AC to play my .ogg file if I rename it to "pickup_armour". I'm wondering if there is a way to get AC to recognize the difference between the helmet and the vest so I can give them each their own sound.

I'm running Vista 32bit(could be the problem..) and the AC version is: 1.1.0.4.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks given by:
Some information:

No, he isn't stupid.
Yes, he is adding it in the right spot.

I think it has something to do with his version of AC.

He has done a full re-install of AC.
Thanks given by:
So you can tell if someone is on the right side of a map grabbing the kevlar, or on the other side grabbing a helmet thanks to the haxsounds? o_e

Thanks given by:
(03 Feb 12, 01:16PM)Nightmare Wrote: ...haxsounds?...

Thanks given by:
*sigh*... First of all, the SVN will have separate Helmet and Vest sounds, according to RR. So every1 will be using "haxsounds."

Secondly, Waffles made a thread almost a year ago on the topic of modding sounds:

http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2885.html

And as you can see, the dev didn't consider modding sounds to be cheating. So if it's a case of some people will be getting an advantage because most players don't mod their sounds, just make resources available that show everyone how to mod their sounds and then it will be the players own fault if they don't take advantage of it.

Any help with this will be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks given by:
*double sigh*... Firstly, is it legitimate to use different pickup sounds in 1104 just because "...every1 will be using "haxsounds."..." in 1110? No.

Secondly, Waffles' thread, almost a year ago, is on the topic of modding sounds, not splitting one sound into two to differentiate. makkE specifically stated "There are several sounds that would give you an advantage especially in a 1on1...so make sure the sounds you replace resemble the originals...if you want to stay honest ;)". I've paraphrased to make it relevant to this situation, but I hope you can see my point.
Thanks given by:
I don't understand why akimbo, Kevlar, and whatever have to make sounds publicly and not just locally...

I know observation of the sounds can be tactical... but I wish there were at least a really small range on the sounds so you had to be there to hear it.

And when someone else picks up the akimbo maybe it should play the ammobox sound while the akimbo sound is played locally for the collector?
Thanks given by:
Felix, the sounds are made locally.

I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between a helmet and armor, and this isn't a recompiled client.
Thanks given by:
it's strange to mention that in my client, there are two different sounds for kevlar as well as helmet. I did not modify the source but merely downloaded the client from sourceforge. Would there be a reason that this would be different on two different OS platforms? And if it is the case that it is different (which it seems clear to me it is if sgtd has problems) then what should be done about the mac edition having pickup_helmet as well as pickup_armour?

the curiosity about my modding sounds was not related to altering code, merely the consensus of the community about what would/wouldn't be acceptable.

i'm also curious to see this issue resolved. If it's the case i've had an advantage by being able to hear differences between armour and helmet sounds then that makes me feel and look like a dick doesn't it?
Thanks given by:
There has been differences in Mac and other clients in the past, maybe this is another one?
Thanks given by:
(04 Feb 12, 12:54AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Felix, the sounds are made locally.

I mean exclusively played locally. I.E. When you collect an akimbo players rooms away won't hear "DENG!!!"
Thanks given by:
Oh, that "locally" :>
Also, I hear more of a Unuunshhhshummmm rather than DENG!!!!
Thanks given by: