Poll: Should spread be lower?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it's too high
41.67%
25 41.67%
No, it's fine
38.33%
23 38.33%
I'm not sure/ I don't care
20.00%
12 20.00%
Total 60 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should spread be reduced?
(15 Jan 12, 05:01PM)MCS Wrote: lower spread means the target gets hit more, aka "dies" more, aka more frags points, aka more bullets actually hit the target. Yeah firing AR at full blast would spread like that. Thats why you don't shoot long range on automatic

Explain to me why "lower spread means the target gets hit more"; I don't think it's true. Also, more hits doesn't mean more kills. It means slightly shoter fights, but one of the players would die regardless of how the spread was.

I agree burst-firing is a bit better but it's only the first three bullets as I keep saying. No one actually can do three-burst-firing efficiently. Also the range I showed there is hardly long range.
Thanks given by:
I go semi-auto long range. :D

Y U NO USE CARBINE?!?!?!
click click no spread win. stay back and watch those full auto'ers shooting three bodies wide. :3
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 12, 06:09PM)Nightmare Wrote: I go semi-auto long range. :D

Y U NO USE CARBINE?!?!?!
click click no spread win. stay back and watch those full auto'ers shooting three bodies wide. :3

People don't realize that the solution is already in the game. Between the carbine, the sniper, and burst firing, there is no reason to be complaining about the spread of the AR or smg (except for "omg my favorite gun isnt the best at everything wtf").
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 12, 05:52PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Explain to me why "lower spread means the target gets hit more"; I don't think it's true. Also, more hits doesn't mean more kills. It means slightly shoter fights, but one of the players would die regardless of how the spread was.

I agree burst-firing is a bit better but it's only the first three bullets as I keep saying. No one actually can do three-burst-firing efficiently. Also the range I showed there is hardly long range.

so if i miss less....i don't get more kills? explain
Thanks given by:
If you miss less often, so should your opponent. Although I bet if both players' accuracies increase by five points the player with the lower accuracy would see a greater improvement in their k/d ratio.

(15 Jan 12, 05:52PM)Roflcopter Wrote: No one actually can do three-burst-firing efficiently.

Plenty of people can and do.
Thanks given by:
Quote:Plenty of people can and do.

Only technically, but not visually (letting go resets the timer thing so you just keep clicking rapidly [or at least once every three bullets fired])

As Exodus said in some thread that behavior should be removed and only reset it when shooting actually stops.
Thanks given by:
the actual spread is ridiculous and should get reduced.
What is the amount of spread in the other most famous fps games? higher or lower? i don't remember any spread in warrock, for example
Thanks given by:
i am sort of confused how the spread works right now, but first thing i wonder if it works the same way since the very first day this game came out (the square where spread distributes not the spread itself), because if is such an important matter to take care off we would have seen it earlier as a topic of discussion.

and probably everybody wonders how come that reducing spread would make a big bunch of players less skilled, you say it has to do with the random spread that acts the same if not equally by firing even away of the center of the target, and by fixing it they shouldn't get any hit at all obviously.

still, i wouldn't think on aiming off my target even if that's how it works now. First, cause as far as i know, the spread starts increasing after a certain amount of bullets not right away, correct?. secondly, and by considering the first said, it would make less useful trying to aim off target since even if those shoots find to place on the center it would happen after few shoots you missed due the low spread of first bullets that would have landed if you actually aim where is supposed to. in time that mean you should win by hitting the center rather than off it. all this considering how it works right now.

if currently works that way, i can't even think of a fix, cause is doing what is supposed to without hurting the player aim.

anyways if the spread is this high, it would come handy to reduce it a bit and make the burst firing actually reliable, in that way you shouldn't feel it's a waste of time doing this as now you would die before hitting an opponent who is full auto on you
Thanks given by:
..... burst firing is reliable
Thanks given by:
I voted for 'Yes it's too high'
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 12, 05:33PM)Harps Wrote: I voted for 'Yes it's too high'

just so long as your vote has nothing to do with the fact that you are a smg player :P
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 12, 08:16PM)Lantry Wrote: People don't realize that the solution is already in the game. Between the carbine, the sniper, and burst firing, there is no reason to be complaining about the spread of the AR or smg (except for "omg my favorite gun isnt the best at everything wtf").

Correct.

If spread would be reduced, Carbine and Sniper wouldn't have any advantage.
Though I agree, that spread shouldn't be total random. More hits in the center would reward skill - that's worthwhile.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 12, 08:16PM)Lantry Wrote: (except for "omg my favorite gun isnt the best at everything wtf").

CARBINE NEEDS TO DO 99 DAMAGE OR ELSE IT IS NOOB. NO SPREAD AND BURST FIRE AS WELL!!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 12, 08:55PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote:
(15 Jan 12, 08:16PM)Lantry Wrote: (except for "omg my favorite gun isnt the best at everything wtf").

CARBINE NEEDS TO DO 99 DAMAGE OR ELSE IT IS NOOB. NO SPREAD AND BURST FIRE AS WELL!!!!!!!!!

with smg fire rate, and the ability to get headshots and splats.

Thanks given by:
There's a significant but not huge majority that are pro lowering spread.

Even more people agree that it should be distributed in a circular shape and more in the center than the edges.

Given all this what action will the developers be taking?
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 12, 11:40PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Even more people agree that it should be distributed in a circular shape and more in the center than the edges.

Huh?
I see the spread poll...

Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 12, 11:52PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote:
(16 Jan 12, 11:40PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Even more people agree that it should be distributed in a circular shape and more in the center than the edges.

Huh?
I see the spread poll...
The poll has nothing to do with how the bullets are distributed RR...

Thanks given by:
exactly.
Thanks given by:
Which program I can create a script, but like I have to write the script, manually?
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 12, 11:23PM)Nightmare Wrote: with smg fire rate, and the ability to get headshots and splats.

you forgot slashes.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jan 12, 11:40PM)Roflcopter Wrote: There's a significant but not huge majority that are pro lowering spread.
Even more people agree that it should be distributed in a circular shape and more in the center than the edges.
Even more people either think it should be left alone or don't understand/care.

Quote:...Given all this what action will the developers be taking?
I cannot code, but if I could I wouldn't touch the spread.
I'm all for adjusting obvious problems (OP AR and pub SG), but as Stranz said, this has never been a big issue in the past. Why should it suddenly become one now?
I can see that you wish for AC to be geared more towards higher skill level players, because that's what you are, but the development team has to try and take on board the opinions of every AC player, even the ones who don't voice their concerns here (and even the ones who don't voice their concerns at all).
I really don't want to go through another schism like the 1.0 -> 1.1 change over, and I believe your proposal is significant enough that this could be risked.
As a reverse-disclaimer, I play almost exclusively SMG and would benefit greatly from this. However, I think it's unnecessary. Nothing to do with realism, nothing to do with skill, just "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If it could be 'circle-ised' without altering the mean spread, I'd be happy.
Thanks given by:
(17 Jan 12, 11:59PM)jamz Wrote: If it could be 'circle-ised' without altering the mean spread, I'd be happy.

F1
Jamz for ac dev
Thanks given by:
He already is one...
Thanks given by:
(17 Jan 12, 11:59PM)jamz Wrote: If it could be 'circle-ised' without altering the mean spread, I'd be happy.
This would be perfect. Spread doesn't need to be touched in terms of how much there is, but if it's changed so that players that actually aim well are awarded with more kills then awesome.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jan 12, 01:00AM)Roflcopter Wrote:
(15 Jan 12, 12:34AM)Mystered Wrote: ...

I removed recoil....

*looks over to rofl as if he's been sent by God*

tell me master...how does one go about this crazy business...
(15 Jan 12, 02:27AM)Nightmare Wrote: My bullets hit my enemy when my crosshair is over them. If I can do it, everyone can.

What's next, taking spread off of the shotgun? -.- instant long range splat woohoo

+1
i can't be the only one who thought of this :3

[Image: 1292019225447.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 12, 05:47AM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: This would be perfect. Spread doesn't need to be touched in terms of how much there is, but if it's changed so that players that actually aim well are awarded with more kills then awesome.

Making spread circular won't do that. To reward better aim you need more spread in the center.
Thanks given by:
@mercy

1) hax
2) <3
3) it's on the meme thread so yeah. :D
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 12, 06:36AM)Roflcopter Wrote: To reward better aim you need more spread in the center.

Not quite. To reward better aim, you use the guns which were designed for precise shooting: carbine and sniper.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 12, 10:38PM)Lantry Wrote:
(18 Jan 12, 06:36AM)Roflcopter Wrote: To reward better aim you need more spread in the center.

Not quite. To reward better aim, you use the guns which were designed for precise shooting: carbine and sniper.

Not quite. Using a Carbine just isn't as effective against a good AR, only an SMG/AR will do it. Maybe Sniper depending on the environment. The point it, a large percentage of the bullets should not be left to chance when one player might be aiming better than another player - and another player might just be loosely aiming to the side of them. Yet somehow the latter player still gets the kill.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 12, 10:38PM)Lantry Wrote: Not quite. To reward better aim, you use the guns which were designed for precise shooting: carbine and sniper.

That's silly. We should reward better aim with the AR and SMG too.

(17 Jan 12, 11:59PM)jamz Wrote: I'm all for adjusting obvious problems (OP AR and pub SG), but as Stranz said, this has never been a big issue in the past. Why should it suddenly become one now?

The desirability of lower spread hasn't been sudden. It's become more desirable as the players get better.

I'm also not really very skilled myself any more. I've been on a slow decline since I gave up real competitive gaming but I just think there's enough skill in AC that spread doesn't allow the best players to adequately distance themselves from not-quite-so-good players.

I don't think average players would dislike the change. Most criticisms of the 1.0 -> 1.1 transition were because of certain weapons being made weaker. Centered spread would see the weapons maintain very similar balance while just making them a bit more responsive.
Thanks given by: