Future for Singleplayer maps?
What do you guys think? In 1105 the new getposition command and others would in theory open the door for singleplayer maps. As the community would you play these? If so what would you expect/like to see? Does singleplayer "campaign" sound like a fun thing at all? Please do tell.
Thanks given by:
Sounds fun, but you're going to get some comments that AC isn't that type of game. I think a singleplayer mode, like you're suggesting, would make the game more appealing to more of a variety of people.

It would take quite a bit of work(probably a big understatement) but I think in the long run, it would be a good thing to look into.
Thanks given by:
(10 May 11, 04:28AM)Viper Wrote: in theory open the door for singleplayer maps.

Not just in theory.

Keep in mind, the majority of CS is not viable in map.cfgs so it must be done in editmode.
Thanks given by:
It has already been being worked on. In the SVN currently is a survivor mode.
Thanks given by:
If it's done right, definitely.

Another way to play AC without Australian lag. :P
Thanks given by:
* VenteX drools over using a timed gamespeed command to simulate a "breeching" effect (a la CoD series campaigns)
Thanks given by:
Also keep in mind that specific CubeScript idents can be enabled for use in maps.cfg by the individual player.
At the same time, yes, many script idents are not meant for normal game modes.
And "survivor" is a very basic single-player mode; you can count on scripters to make more, and more complex ones.
* V-Man posts on the ideas thread...

@Josiah: Don't worry; anyone who criticizes any use of the single-player aspect of AC is missing the point by a long shot. Whose business is it what you do in single-player?? XD
Thanks given by:
Sauer and Red Eclipse have quite extensive single-player maps and the facilities to make these fun and intense. Backporting anyone? *cough eihrul *cough
Thanks given by:
i think this is a huge case and should be taken to the supreme court

no really this is a good idea
im probably the 19271927th person to say this but More weapons would be nice! o:
Thanks given by:
(11 May 11, 12:41AM)Viper Wrote: Sauer and Red Eclipse have quite extensive single-player maps and the facilities to make these fun and intense. Backporting anyone? *cough eihrul *cough

True, but there are few good maps that really make use of them. Eihrul even considered dropping SP from Sauerbraten.
As for RE, it's still fairly new, so we'll see what comes.
Thanks given by:
Hell yeah!

I would kill for a SP-mode like on Sauerbraten and defintely would make use of it! :D
Thanks given by:
Yahuh!
F1 to that.
Private Stan Sauer: A Prequel ;D
Thanks given by:
The next one:
Saving Private Sauer
Thanks given by:
The one thing I believe could be enjoyed with singleplayer maps is the room for creativity and detail without necessarily needing great gameplay. It seems to be an interesting venture but bots would be difficult.
Thanks given by:
as well as getposition stopbotsjumpingaroundaimlessly would be quite useful
Im interested to know what kind of objectives there could be in the campaign mode, because if 'kill everyone' is all that is possible then you might as well just play multi
Thanks given by:
singleplayers maps? I think not, and better play cube/cube2.
maybe, something like Survival Cooperative or Invasion(skulltag).

Survival Cooperative: Survival is just like the Coopertive game mode, however in survival, if you and your friends die before exiting to the next map, you lose. Survival is more like Last Man Standing, however for cooperative.

Invasion: Invasion mode, you will fight against a swarm of monsters, and in each wave, you will have even more monsters to fight with! Don't think that this is easy all the way through, it will get harder and tougher when you get passed the first or second wave!
Thanks given by:
Hah! "kill everyone" is definitely not the only thing you could do with singleplayer. Mael is scripting up a storm for different takes on that. :D
And the current SVN has a hard-coded singleplayer survival-mode!
Thanks given by:
I want singleplayer missions!
F-ONE!
Thanks given by:
(12 May 11, 06:05PM)V-Man Wrote: And the current SVN has a hard-coded singleplayer survival-mode!

Which is pretty sick, I must say. The bots definitely make up for their lack of skill with sheer numbers and it gets pretty exciting, especially on Douze where you are pinned down in the trench below the ladder :D
Thanks given by:
(12 May 11, 06:16PM)Andrez Wrote: I want singleplayer missions!

Mission 1
Your name is Andrez Cuber, and you are the lead marksman for the Rabid Viper Special Forces. You are to go into the Cubers Liberation Army's base inside of the Mys Inc. Complex Building. When inside you wait for instructions from your leader, Ronald_Reagan. After instructions, get started.
Thanks given by:
I lead something?
Thanks given by:
The United States of America, 1981-1989?

Also, holy crap, dude
Thanks given by:

Oh that was a joke :P

Also, Woah!

Thanks given by:
(12 May 11, 06:05PM)V-Man Wrote: Hah! "kill everyone" is definitely not the only thing you could do with singleplayer

such as... 'kill everyone... but on a gema'? :)
Thanks given by:
I wish for something like sniping missions...... You know, you are on the rooftop of a factory and you have to kill the uberprotected guy :D
Thanks given by:
(13 May 11, 11:50AM)Andrez Wrote: I wish for something like sniping missions...... You know, you are on the rooftop of a factory and you have to kill the uberprotected guy :D

I could see how to begin scripting that. More access to bot AI would be nice, though.
Thanks given by:
That would be sick Andrez... Sounds a lot like a survivor mode with scaled difficulty per round IMHO
Thanks given by:
(13 May 11, 12:36PM)V-Man Wrote: More access to bot AI would be nice, though.

Be more specific?
Thanks given by:
I assume he means access to health (ub3rprotected :D) and what not.
Thanks given by: