Poll: Windows, Mac or Linux?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Windows
48.00%
24 48.00%
Mac
20.00%
10 20.00%
Linux
32.00%
16 32.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Windows, Mac or Linux.
(29 Apr 11, 10:53AM)Frogulis Wrote: Windows, Mac or Linux?
O_o
Ooh, I've reeeeeeally done it now!

Yes you have, now debate and flame why each OS is better.
Thanks given by:
These types of votes have to allow for mulitple votes because there will be some that like the others just as much as the other.

I will not vote because I have a use for each OS.
Thanks given by:
I have voted Windows.
Purley on the basis that i dont understand Macs and i have never used Linux.
Thanks given by:
I can't vote either... I use Windows and its handy, in school i use Windows too so im pretty use to it... Sometimes at home i just play around with Linux and on my phone i have iOS so i can't decide all are good
Thanks given by:
Witch OS is better depends on the user.
Some like Windows, some like Linux and others like Mac.

I voted Linux cos this is what i use and will never change back to windows again.
Mac im not going to say anything about cos i have to little experience with it.
Thanks given by:
XENON! Y U DO THAT?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
It's ok, AssaultCubers are too friendly to get into a flamewar about which OS to use....
;) ;) ;)
Thanks given by:
Windows for the windows
Thanks given by:
I have used Windows for all my life, until around 2 months ago, when i got a mac. Now i use both, depending on the computer i'm on. I have to say Mac OS is faster, better, and cleaner.
Thanks given by:
Linux. Better for programming, faster, looks nicer, I can do what I want, Superior.
Thanks given by:
Don't like Mac or Windows. Starving for Linux but I can't get it to install properly.
Thanks given by:
linux hate me, i try different distros on different computers, and nothing works as i want. Istallations and packets are always a big problem. In addiction, few games run in linux.

Mac: an OS which works only in 1 pc. And that pc costs more than the double than the others.
The algorithm which enlarges the window is random. Plus: as a computer science student, i see that my schoolmates encounter lots of problems in running specific apps and programming.

Windows: wow i can do everything i want. All working fine. Windows7 + good hardware = perfect pc for both work and games
Thanks given by:
All operating systems are special in their own unique ways! :D Congratulations, you're all winners!!!
Thanks given by:
With Macs, it's a love/hate thing for me. I love the look of them, but I hate their software and pricing (usually).

Linux. Being honest, the only reason I don't tend to use linux is because not all the applications I use work and drivers for my wireless card are bad. If Valve port Steam and the Source engine to linux, I'll have a reason to use it again. I wouldn't mind the GameBryo engine being ported either.

Windows? I use it, and don't actually like it that much. It's slow and clunky. I hope they completely re-write the next version, instead of just a couple of bug fixes and a graphical change.

I just wish Microsoft would bring out a gaming mode, which would cut out the BS that we don't need (e.g, terminating ALL unnecessary processes/aplications/we) before launching a game, and re-starting them in the same condition (like save to HDD, but for only the unnecessary processes.)
Thanks given by:
Linux: Very hands on, i.e. you need to know what you're doing... Many games/services are not available for Linux (don't talk to me about wine stfu). :D On the upside it gives you the most freedom if you're good with it and really lets you be the boss.

Mac: Very fast, graphically superior OS, aesthetically best by far, gives you access to new products and the latest trends with ease (mac app store). It's actually compatible with all the gadgets you use aside from your computer and always leads the way for innovation... On the down side, it's clunky for programming, costs much more, and doesn't support some programs although thats quickly changing.

Windows: Slow, old, aesthetically bad, a reactionary company as opposed to macs right now. Upsides are price, programming, and more widespread usage/technical support from friends.
Thanks given by:
I won't vote just because none of them is the best. Windows is crap, Linux is for geeks and Mac... doesn't inspire me at all.
Thanks given by:
In my perfect world:
Windows is for work.
Mac is for personal use.
Linux is for doing coding, programing, and such.
Thanks given by:
(29 Apr 11, 09:10PM)Viper Wrote: Mac: Very fast, graphically superior OS, aesthetically best by far, gives you access to new products and the latest trends with ease (mac app store). It's actually compatible with all the gadgets you use aside from your computer and always leads the way for innovation... On the down side, it's clunky for programming, costs much more, and doesn't support some programs although thats quickly changing.

"Many games/services are not available for Linux (don't talk to me about wine stfu)."

brb going to go play games that aren't sims 3 and WoW on my mac oh wai-

Thanks given by:
(29 Apr 11, 09:10PM)Viper Wrote: Mac: ... graphically superior OS, aesthetically best by far

I've come to hate Mac aesthetics. Both the OS and the hardware look horrendous. My Mac's edges are so damn sharp you can cut yourself on them and the glossy monitor makes it impossible to see unless you're enveloped in shade.
Thanks given by:
Simple, windows is easier to use.
Thanks given by:
If you go beyond defaults, all can have enormous changes in graphical interfaces. Yes, windows NEEDS a gaming mode. I hate how it just slows down as it ages. Wine actually works pretty well on linux for non .NET stuff. Even though M$ Windoze comes w/ every computer, Linux is free to upgrade.
Quote:Very fast, graphically superior OS, aesthetically best by far, gives you access to new products and the latest trends with ease (mac app store). It's actually compatible with all the gadgets you use aside from your computer and always leads the way for innovation... On the down side, it's clunky for programming, costs much more, and doesn't support some programs although thats quickly changing
Mac app store's real weird, because you can't have free trials or program in Java-But the real sin is that Apple gets 30% of Dev's profits.
Thanks given by:
(30 Apr 11, 01:45PM)hamolton Wrote: But the real sin is that Apple gets 30% of Dev's profits.

That's not a sin, it's a business model, if an ugly one. If developers don't like it, they don't have to use the app store. Yet. What if Apple blocks users from running any applications that didn't come in through the app store (like it already does on iPhone and iPad)? One day, Mac users might have to jailbreak their computer to play AC...
Thanks given by:
Really trying not to flame:Well, I think people will discover, and therefore buy apps on the app store. The app store is built into OS X, so people will probably look for programs there instead of other program finding programs. Is this monopolistic? I dunno. I'm open to new ideas. I'm not sure just saying that it isn't the only option can fight against apple's pushing it, though.
Thanks given by:
We're going offtopic.

Windows is, in my opinion, pretty much the "standard" for any first time buyer of a computer.
Thanks given by:
I'd have to say Linux...even though you do have to be hands on with it and you cant play most games on it(without wine), I'd say you have more freedom but you have to watch what you are doing. Plus, you don't have to worry about most viruses, because they are mostly writin for a Windows or Mac system.
Thanks given by:
(29 Apr 11, 01:26PM)MykeGregory Wrote: i dont understand Macs

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You're kidding, right?
Thanks given by:
I prefer Windows. Mac tries to be too "user friendly", which makes them not powerful enough IMO (though i must admit i have only used the ones at school which have everything disabled).
linux seems like too much work. I want my comp to work without me having to do much (though, again, I've never used linux, but I have friends who do).
windows seems to be the perfect best mix of usability and power.
kinda a good chart, though a bit too hard on mac IMO
Thanks given by:
The people that say they can't understand Macs are simply too lazy to stare 5 minutes into the screen, cause that's all it takes to learn it. Because seriously, from easy to hard, it goes from Mac to Windows to Linux.
Thanks given by:
I've used all three. The Mac was easy to use after I got used to it, but it sucks balls because there is no easy way to disable mouse acceleration. Linux would be awesome, almost any distro, if the drivers worked with my dual card setup. Nvidia Optimus crap depends on Windows 7 and the card can't be used without Optimus, even if the integrated card is disabled. I am stuck with Windows on this laptop because it has drivers.

Oh and I can't afford a Mac
Thanks given by:
I would never use a mac since I'm morally opposed to many things Apple does. I also see very little real innovation in their products (for instance Mac OS X's user interface has just been made obsolete by Ubuntu 11.04).

Windows is just safe. Everything will work well there but it still costs and again the company that makes it is hardly known for being pro-competition.

The number of things I couldn't do on Linux (but wanted to) is now zero and has been for about four years. I think others will be more and more tempted to jump ship too -- Linux is developing far faster than Windows or OS X.
Thanks given by:
(02 May 11, 01:18AM)Roflcopter Wrote: (for instance Mac OS X's user interface has just been made obsolete by Ubuntu 11.04).
Hehe, Ubuntu 10.10 can make the superficial parts obsolete with a little bit of setting up. Really, I like my three panel setup (standard on top and bottom, OSX-esque dock on side) much better than that of a Mac. That said, I haven't used a Mac for any significant length of time, so I'm not really able to properly pass judgement on it.
Personally, I like Windows best though. I think the thing that pulls me over the line for Windows is the broad compatibility it has, plus the sense of usability without that sort of "over-friendliness" that a Mac seems to have.
Thanks given by: