Poll: Should S&D be a AC mode
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
30.00%
12 30.00%
No
60.00%
24 60.00%
Maybe
10.00%
4 10.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

S&D or Search And Destroy
If you have played COD you will know of this mode and I believe it would be fun if we had it in the next update of AC.

Objective: To kill the enemy team or to Defuse the bomb depending on the game situation. There is 2 bombs that the attackers need to plant at before 2:00 mintues are up. One random person gets the bomb.

Rules:
1 Team Attacks
1 Defends

2:00 round
4 or 5 second to plant
Maximum of 8 players per team

Well it is pretty self explanitory, the defending team defends the bombs, the attacking team try's to plant the bomb.
Thanks given by:
No, this game isn't anything like COD or other games, its one of a kind, people should really stop trying to make it into COD. If you want S&D go play COD or Crossfire.
Thanks given by:
sounds boring, really. ac is not made for such a mode!
Thanks given by:
It's in idea. Who said it has to be in there and also, Sauberaten and lots of other games have it and it runs great. It's not 'one of a kind'.
Thanks given by:
On another thread someone proposed another AC mode, the Unreal Tournament style base capture :P

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
haha P@ndel
Thanks given by:
AC is too fast paced for this.
Thanks given by:
Mine is no.
Thanks given by:
I don't really mind. I would like to see what the AC community thinks of it :)
It would be cool if it was like a 1 minute round :)
Thanks given by:
LOOOOL I knew when I clicked this topic there was gonna be idiots sayin eewww no it's CoD it can't possibly work in AssaultCube! The fact is: Yes it can. Although I would rather see demolition (same thing as S&D but it has respawns). Also, in S&D both bombs don't need to be exploded, only one. I think the people in these forums are just to closed-minded to understand that a genuinely good idea that happens to be in a game you don't like might actually be good.
Thanks given by:
I just dont see how it would work with AC.
Thanks given by:
haydugjr
You are so true and also Demolition would be great, didn't think of that :)

If people thought of it and changed rules to say 1 minute round it would be awesome
Thanks given by:
Heh, i wouldn't call all these people *closed-minded*, it is just not the game to adapt such game modes. After all, CoD and UT are really on a much different level of game play than is AC. The same mod just cannot be suited to another game just because the gameplay will not allow it (even if it does, people will not enjoy it). Good ideas though ;)

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
(18 Sep 10, 05:40PM)Robtics Wrote: I just dont see how it would work with AC.

Simple. Mapmakers add two newly created entities, Bomb_A and Bomb_B. In_game and in S&D these bomb sights would glow different colors, or could be represented by an actual bomb site. Someone would design a bomb planting/defusing animation. When you go to plant the bomb it could be for example Crouch+Shoot when beside the bomb site. It would start the 1-3 second process of planting the bomb. That starts a timer. When the timer is done the bomb blows up and the offense wins. If the defense defuses the bomb the defense wins that round. OR, if one team eliminates the other team completely, the team left standing wins. I would give planting/defusing the bomb 2 points and eliminating the other team 1 point, that way people don't just treat it like Team Survivor. This game mode elicits extreme teamwork and tactics.
(18 Sep 10, 05:46PM)P@ndel Wrote: Heh, i wouldn't call all these people *closed-minded*, it is just not the game to adapt such game modes. After all, CoD and UT are really on a much different level of game play than is AC. The same mod just cannot be suited to another game just because the gameplay will not allow it (even if it does, people will not enjoy it). Good ideas though ;)

P@ndel

By UT do you mean Unreal Tournament? I never got the oppurtunity to play that =/. But there is bomb mode in UrbanTerror, which is a game as fast paced as this just with faster deaths and more aiming skill required.
Thanks given by:
(18 Sep 10, 05:12PM)usesnipez Wrote: and also, Sauberaten ... have it and it runs great
Wow, I must have missed that in one year playing Sauer...

@others: It's ridiculous to ditch an idea because it's already implemented in another game (remember, COD has CTF too). It's about as dumb to think it will work out great just because it did so in other games.

IMO it's a good idea. Of course, round-based would be way too slow for AC - just do it like CTF, each time you plant the bomb, you score, and the other team scores each time they defuse it (or kill the guy who has the bomb, maybe). Just my idea.
Thanks given by:
haydugjr:
I know how the mode works but cant imagine it can be played in AC.
It doesnt fit the gameplay and AC's maps cant provide that much cover and places to hide as CoD's maps ... and you really need that cover to plant or defuse a bomb in peace ( ;)). The maps need to fulfill some requirements, you know?

edit:
tempests idea sounds much better!
Thanks given by:
(18 Sep 10, 06:02PM)tempest Wrote: IMO it's a good idea. Of course, round-based would be way too slow for AC - just do it like CTF, each time you plant the bomb, you score, and the other team scores each time they defuse it . Just my idea.

Aaaaahhh your idea might work. That would discourage planting because your giving them the oppurtunity to score, and also you couldnt plant it and then leave (to distract). Overall, I think it would work a lot better round based. If anyone feels like suggesting demolition here instead of S&D, I honestly think that'd be a lot better.
Thanks given by:
AC isn't COD, the modes of AC are awsome

we need new idea not a copy ^^
Thanks given by:
(18 Sep 10, 06:02PM)tempest Wrote: @others: It's ridiculous to ditch an idea because it's already implemented in another game (remember, COD has CTF too). It's about as dumb to think it will work out great just because it did so in other games.

No body is *ditching an idea because it's already implemented in another game*. You cannot implement just ANY mode you want to a given game. It is simple: the game play may not allow it. You cannot play LSS in CoD, can you? Sure, you can go ahead and make LSS in CoD, but who will possibly play and enjoy it? That is all i am saying...

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
Counter-Strike/S&Deque game types arent made for assault cube. I dont really like them either, I may have all those popular games that people play, but AC is always the best at the modes it has.

I dont like fast paced games are made for S&D.
Thanks given by:
every idea people come up with people always say no that wont work to everything, so pretty much ac is going to stay the same way forever, people come up with ideas that have never been in any game and people still say no, i dont get how it would be a problem to put a new game mode in, have people play it, and if its popular then thats a great update, the modes now are cool, but it would be nice to have an update of a new game mode, its been the same modes for a very long time, some change would be nice.
Thanks given by:
(18 Sep 10, 09:54PM)BrickSquad Wrote: every idea people come up with people always say no that wont work to everything, so pretty much ac is going to stay the same way forever, people come up with ideas that have never been in any game and people still say no, i dont get how it would be a problem to put a new game mode in, have people play it, and if its popular then thats a great update, the modes now are cool, but it would be nice to have an update of a new game mode, its been the same modes for a very long time, some change would be nice.

1. These modes are available in other games.
2. We are representing public opinion (including a "YES and a "NO")
3. It is up to Devs whether to put the new mode or not (but, believe me, they won't bother much because all current modes are very much sufficient and suit the gameplay of AC)

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
I can't see this work for Assault Cube, and the two main reasons for this is how fast AC is and the maps. AC don't have maps for this type of game mode. When I think of S&D I see big maps, while AC mostly got small maps.
Thanks given by:
List of maps that could work:

Depot
Power
Arabian
Keller
Ingress
Possibly Werk
Possibly Outpost
Thanks given by:
And, as i said earlier, it won't happen.
Thanks given by:
lol watch, AC is gonna become a mix of CoD, CA, CF, etc...

Other Modes:
Spy Hunt
Bombing Run
Quarantine
Firesteam
Thanks given by:
No, because this is AC not CoD.
Thanks given by:
After quite actively playing AC for more than two years now (I say quite actively because I did play some in .93), I can assure you that the idea you have suggested is not new, and will likely never be implemented. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's just not one that'll fit into the game.

Furthermore, AssaultCube has already a large variety of modes. If there's anything to stop the game from becoming to repetitive, it would be having editable parameters that will change the gameplay--aka allowing servers to run with modified physics, health, etc. That way, if you want to play a game with strange rules with your friends, you can do it rather easily, and it won't be it's own mode. I'm pretty sure it'll never happen though, but hey, I'm already satisfied with what we have ;)
Thanks given by:
Implementing an idea because it is also in another game is the bad reason for new features. Implementing a new idea that happens to be in another game is not a problem.

Search and Destroy would definitely be possible in AssaultCube. The only issue is how much it would take away from the fast-paced nature of AC, which is one of the main things the devs wish to preserve.
Thanks given by:
For those who don't read posts, but somehow happen to have *an idea* about what is being said:

(18 Sep 10, 07:03PM)P@ndel Wrote: No body is *ditching an idea because it's already implemented in another game*. You cannot implement just ANY mode you want to a given game. It is simple: the game play may not allow it. You cannot play LSS in CoD, can you? Sure, you can go ahead and make LSS in CoD, but who will possibly play and enjoy it? That is all i am saying...

P@ndel
Thanks given by: