AC 1.3 or AC 2, Your Expectations and Estimations
(09 Nov 14, 02:02PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: To be honest, while I assume good intentions, this thread was potentially misleading from the start.
Quote:Don't get me wrong, if a group of enthusiasts comes together and creates something like AC on cube2/tesseract/unreal/source/...-engine, I'd definitly give it a shot. Yet, I wouldn't want it to replace the 'classic' AC, which is implied in your either/or-way of asking.
Quote:No, we should be talking about what do we really like about the game in it's current state. What keeps us old guys playing? What did the later newbies make stay? Of course, we also have to adress what feels broken or problematic, in order to enhance the gaming experience, yet there's no reason to 'discuss' it over and over again, without giving reasonable alternatives.

However, I'm not intending to defend the devs here. I only want to encourage a more constructive way of discussing. Of course, there're always two sides to it and yes there should be more information on what current developement is going on or what is planned. Devs, don't expect us to hang around on IRC all day to catch up everything going on. Just share your submits compiled into a handy list and your overall vision here on the forum every now and then.

Finally, some one who is not arguing or throwing random ideas but giving rational thought to this discussion. Though the intention this thread started seemed good, the discussions dont make sense anymore. (excluding a few).

Well to each their own. Hope the Devs get some positive ideas from this thread but I am not too hopeful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAD A DREAM...... damn i forgot wat it is wen i woke up
Thanks given by:
So.... pause feature?

Please?
Thanks given by:
Dear, Steffy Claus.

I'd like 1.3 for Christmas and I've been a good boy this year.

-AC community
Thanks given by:
1. AC 1.3 or AC 2 ?

2. What new features would you like to be added on your chosen next release ?

To conclude

Anyways, that's it for my wall of text, I hope you'll take the time to read it all, if you care enough :>
I'm out !
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 10:43AM)DamDam Wrote: Being able to mod your own client. Ofc i don't mean cheating-wise, but being able to easily change skins, playermodels, pickups

Huh? Custom mods

Quote:The developping team is a big problem and also one of the major reasons why this game has been dying. I've said it 2 years ago, and I'll say it again and again. A team with developpers from an open source game, who do not wish to receive help from a community who's willing to help is wrong. This community has (or had) everything, whether it's for scripts (Bukz, grenadier..), maps (Z3R0, Exoduss, Undead, yopa..), mods (Cleaner, X RAY DOG, Krayce), weapon testing (Waffles, Vanquish, xenon, Sanzo), coding (Lucas, Larry, TheNihilanth, Phantom, FelixTheGhost), events (Nightmare, Endgame,Music) . All those people are/were part of the community and would have brought AC a whole new life if the dev team had been more opened to changes and requests.

Bukz, grenadier, Cleaner, X-Ray-Dog, Lucas are already on "evil" side, not community. ;)

Quote:Looking at you stef & RandumKiwi, throwing bans or warnings to whoever argues against your opinion.

Huh? This thesis is false.

Quote:To any of the developpers, if you don't want the game to change, you should just quit, people are/were ready to replace you and join the team.

What "people"? :)

Quote: I'm not saying every idea suggested is brilliant and should be implemented, but many ideas were brought to the dev-team eyes and were ignored or rejected without any explanations (Larry's half time code and pause , Undead's iceroad rework, the weapon balance, removal of some official maps...)

Since AC migrated from SourceForge to GitHub it is much easier to cooperate with community, feel free to show commits/code changes on GitHub, if they will be useful and correct, they will be implemented.

Quote:As for the "pause issue" which seems to be the big thing in this thread, it shows again through stef why the game is not progressing and why it's dying.

You are very wrong.
Thanks given by:
Meh. The one thing I think AC really needs is a big refactoring. Why is everything in cube.h? From a OOP point of view, it makes no sense. Think about the sound issue. If sound.cpp had been more than just #include "cube.h", wouldn't the problem have been fixed a lot faster?
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 06:22PM)grenadier Wrote: ..

All of your points were just glib and useless apart from the fact that AC's source code was migrated from sf to github. While I agree it is genuinely a good change, that alone won't be enough to make potential code contributors submit their work, since you give responses like "You are very wrong" without any elaboration whatsoever.

Where is the motivation for people to code patches for things like this if it they're sure the dev team will just shoot it down? The pause feature is a great example of this - Larry coded the entire thing and it just got brushed under the rug.
Speaking about the pause feature, the only reason it wasn't added is because some select few devs believe it doesn't fit with the game.
While I do appreciate and recognise that some developers do contribute with bug fixes, code and other important duties (really no sarcasm, it's appreciated), some devs take a backseat and do nothing besides shoot down people's suggestions - there is precisely no shame in putting your ego aside when the greatest reason you can come up with not to add a feature which is incredibly popular has been fully coded already is "I don't think it fits with [my vision of] AC".

Please don't reply to my post with sarcastic remarks or silly useless comments. Even if you dislike me I'm at least trying to be constructive, your last post was (mostly) not.
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 06:32PM)Mousikos Wrote: Meh. The one thing I think AC really needs is a big refactoring.
Bullshit. Shuffling code around has never helped anyone.
(21 Nov 14, 06:32PM)Mousikos Wrote: From a OOP point of view, it makes no sense. Think about the sound issue. If sound.cpp had been more than just #include "cube.h", wouldn't the problem have been fixed a lot faster?
The sound code is exactly that part of the code that has been refactored by drian to OOP-it-up. Which is why it is now by far the ugliest part of to code. AC sounds can barely be debugged because they are OOPed at any cost...

The sound issue was fixed as soon as someone brought a demo that could reproduce the error. (Well, and jamz was nice enough to set up a build-environment on windows to test the fixes... because we have sooooo many people who are "eager to help", that one of the non-coding devs had to set up a build environment to get something tested on that fringe platform called "windows".)

btw, Vanquish, where is that rug?
Thanks given by:
stef Wrote:Bullshit. Shuffling code around has never helped anyone.

If you think this, you're no good programmer. Your code should always be in a constant state of refactoring for the purpose of improvement. Code that isn't refactored will end up a disaster like the majority of the AC codebase is.

stef Wrote:The sound code is exactly that part of the code that has been refactored by drian to OOP-it-up. Which is why it is now by far the ugliest part of to code. AC sounds can barely be debugged because they are OOPed at any cost...

Don't blame that on OOP. Blame that on poor/implementation usage of OOP. OOP is only helpful when used correctly. This is exactly what refactoring is for. IF IT'S UGLY REFACTOR IT.

stef Wrote:because we have sooooo many people who are "eager to help", that one of the non-coding devs had to set up a build environment to get something tested on that fringe platform called "windows".

Explain how windows is a fringe platform? Do you even check your facts before spouting out garbage? Windows is currently on 91% of computers.

stef Wrote:btw, Vanquish, where is that rug?

Seriously. Do me a favor and stop acting all high and mighty. You quite frankly behave like an idiot to the users of a game you're working on.

I understand you're taking your free time to work on this game, but at least listen to the players instead of coming up with trash arguments as to why something shouldn't be included.
Thanks given by:
Why isn't the community allowed to pick new devs/replace old ones?

Oh and 1 tip: if you behave like a douche, everyone will be eager to help!

Ohwaitno
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 08:35PM)Marti Wrote: Why isn't the community allowed to pick new devs/replace old ones?

^THIS
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 07:30PM)stef Wrote: Vanquish, where is that rug?

->

(21 Nov 14, 07:12PM)Vanquish Wrote: Please don't reply to my post with sarcastic remarks or silly useless comments.
Thanks given by:
Vanquish, why don't you just answer the question? This thread is full of people saying "there is that code, but noone would use it" - and yet, no one bothers to post a link...
Thanks given by:
I don't have a link. I'm not a dev, so I was never sent a copy of the code. :-)
Thanks given by:
(16 Nov 14, 11:22PM)Nightmare Wrote: Dear, Steffy Claus & Grenadey Clause

I'd like 1.3 for Christmas and I've been a good boy this year.

-AC community
Thanks given by:
Damdam was actually being honest and deserve a real answer. Me and all people reading this too. So could someone answer his post seriously and tell us why we can't do that or why it's not a good idea. It would maybe avoid these questions to be asked again.

If you already said something about that, please take 5 minutes of your time to copy paste it to the poor brainless players we are. I used the search button but didn't get the answers I was looking for. I removed from the list map restrictions, AR and official maps to be removed since I found many posts about that and people won't agree anyway.

(21 Nov 14, 10:43AM)DamDam Wrote: 2. What new features would you like to be added on your chosen next release ?

- The pause would be a great feature to add.
- Half time switch as suggested by some players.
- Separate the masterserver into 2 parts, an official one and a custom one.
- Having a recap list of the things you did during the game (that contributes to your score).
- Modes like TLSS, PF, TPF, TKTF, KTF should be added to the mod masterserver.
- Add Lucas's spawnpoint gamemode in the custom part
- An official ladder.
- More events organised from AC's official side.
- New versions or updates every few months.
-Lucas's client with country flag.
I just quoted ideas Damdam elaborated in his post (please refer to it for arguments). I actually like them and wonder why it couldn't be.
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 10:08PM)stef Wrote: Vanquish, why don't you just answer the question? This thread is full of people saying "there is that code, but noone would use it" - and yet, no one bothers to post a link...

Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 08:35PM)Marti Wrote: Why isn't the community allowed to pick new devs/replace old ones?

holy fuck the drama is back and i like it
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 07:30PM)stef Wrote:
(21 Nov 14, 06:32PM)Mousikos Wrote: Meh. The one thing I think AC really needs is a big refactoring.
Bullshit. Shuffling code around has never helped anyone.
(21 Nov 14, 06:32PM)Mousikos Wrote: From a OOP point of view, it makes no sense. Think about the sound issue. If sound.cpp had been more than just #include "cube.h", wouldn't the problem have been fixed a lot faster?
The sound code is exactly that part of the code that has been refactored by drian to OOP-it-up. Which is why it is now by far the ugliest part of to code. AC sounds can barely be debugged because they are OOPed at any cost...

The sound issue was fixed as soon as someone brought a demo that could reproduce the error. (Well, and jamz was nice enough to set up a build-environment on windows to test the fixes... because we have sooooo many people who are "eager to help", that one of the non-coding devs had to set up a build environment to get something tested on that fringe platform called "windows".)
http://arstechnica.com/information-techn...ewhat-now/

If OOP isn't working, you may need to figure out what's wrong with your implementation...

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/uml/uml_overview.htm
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 14, 07:12PM)Vanquish Wrote: All of your points were just glib and useless apart from the fact that AC's source code was migrated from sf to github. While I agree it is genuinely a good change, that alone won't be enough to make potential code contributors submit their work, since you give responses like "You are very wrong" without any elaboration whatsoever.

2 hints, 2 responses to offences, 1 rectification, 1 question.
"You are very wrong" is enough, because there is no need to back here to AC history, it wouldn't help in any thing.

You people think, that we are so blind, that we don't see many problems in AC and only ignore community? Nowadays there are only 2 devs, which regularly send commits changed source code (in a free time :)), the rest does it rarely. These 2 devs are stef and me, and only stef is very good programmer (regardless of opinion of some ignorants) and nobody knows AC engine as he; I'm weak programmer. We both are devs since only a few months (stef had about 4,5-year break). So we don't know any changes in source code made by "community" between 2010 - 2014 year, and won't know them, if somebody won't show them. And yes, we see, that in 2009/2010 there often played about 350 people in the same time, and now maximally about 100 (and half on crappy maps)...
Many wrong things are already fixed on GitHub, rest will be fixed in next release(s), for that though there is need a time.
And any risk and weird "experiments" can't be accepted (at least for sure not now).

Easier to discuss about "pause" feature, if somebody will show that already finished code, which was "tested (?) by Larry) that have been acknowledge by many people and where there's almost no negative points". Btw you focus on and fight for "pause" feature, as if it would be the most important thing to do in AC... No, it isn't.

Since migration to GitHub contribution to AC of "community" is sporadic (I don't count myself and stef before becoming the devs), only a few people did something (sent commits, bug reports), so I suppose, that currently none programmer isn't interested in contribution to source code and in consequence becoming the dev.
Thanks given by:
If there are only 2 devs, see my latest question. Why cant we pick new devs then? Or if you still dont listen to the community, pick a new (active pls) dev yourselves.

Oh and for the question 'can anyone show me larry's code?' Guess who has it and who you should ask, as if anyone goes sending some code around like "hey you should check this code i wrote but they wont implement"

Btw, what is the most important thing to in AC then? You should give us an update what you are working on.
Thanks given by:
(22 Nov 14, 01:54PM)Marti Wrote: If there are only 2 devs, see my latest question. Why cant we pick new devs then? Or if you still dont listen to the community, pick a new (active pls) dev yourselves.

If those people really wanted to be devs, they'd be sending in patches.
Thanks given by:
(22 Nov 14, 05:21PM)SKB Wrote: If those people really wanted to be devs, they'd be sending in patches.
That is at least how every current dev started :)

@Marti: you can't "pick" someone to be capable
Thanks given by:
(22 Nov 14, 05:51PM)stef Wrote: @Marti: you can't "pick" someone to be capable

picking might have been a bad choice to explain myself, but 'electing/nominating' someone with coding knowledge to be a dev is what i try to say
Thanks given by:
same problem: you can neither "elect" nor "nominate" someone to be capable.

In the past, someone who was interested in contributing code worked himself into the codebase and started writing fixes and patches and gave them to someone on the project. If, after some time, someone proved (which is the key word here) to be capable to work on the code on his own, he could become a dev team member. I'm sorry, but that's the way it has to be. Also, that's not unique to AC... that's pretty much the same in every project. Although the word "Meritocracy" tends to provoke shitstorms, it still describes quite well, how reality works.

Our codebase still contains a lot of proof of what happens, when someone is allowed to work on it, who just claims to be capable.

PS: one is certainly allowed to sport an attitude like "I'd like to help, but the code is too ugly", but it (surprisingly?) won't get you very far.
Thanks given by:
(22 Nov 14, 06:01PM)Marti Wrote:
(22 Nov 14, 05:51PM)stef Wrote: @Marti: you can't "pick" someone to be capable

picking might have been a bad choice to explain myself, but 'electing/nominating' someone with coding knowledge to be a dev is what i try to say

Why the hell should people with no knowledge of coding be able to choose coders? Game developers aren't politicians.
Thanks given by:
I haven't had time to read everything but from what I can tell, stef, you are rather in the minority against pause. At the end of the day, this feature won't impact any public players. Like Waffles points out: every (or almost every) competitive player wants it. If during a match the "5 remaining players" decide they can always unpause -- this only provides an option.

Honestly I think it's more likely that pause is a difficult feature to implement that no one really wants to attempt. If it's not something the developers will provide, they could at least give the assurance that a well-tested, clean branch implementing pause would be merged. Otherwise no one reasonably wants to risk wasting their time on such a thing.
Thanks given by:
You must be joking... not even a dev gets such an assurance.

How about you try to figure out, how that function should behave in detail? For example, what should happen to a player in the middle of a jump? What should happen to an armed or thrown grenade?
Thanks given by:
i hope i'm just being stupid

but if a pause was actually called and everyone currently in the match agreed on it then why would they involve themselves in such useless endeavors

wow such a simple feature is blowing my mind to the waters. help

" If during a match the "5 remaining players" decide they can always unpause -- this only provides an option." i don't understand this sentence in particular
Thanks given by:
(24 Nov 14, 01:46PM)stef Wrote: You must be joking... not even a dev gets such an assurance.

Why not if the code is good?

(24 Nov 14, 01:46PM)stef Wrote: How about you try to figure out, how that function should behave in detail? For example, what should happen to a player in the middle of a jump? What should happen to an armed or thrown grenade?

I don't have a strong preference on these things. I'd probably be happy with whatever was a side-effect of the way I coded pause. What do you suggest?

(24 Nov 14, 01:53PM)G1gantuan Wrote: " If during a match the "5 remaining players" decide they can always unpause -- this only provides an option." i don't understand this sentence in particular

I'm saying that if someone disconnects in match mode and the remaining players don't want to wait they can simply unpause!
Thanks given by: