A question about map restrictions
First of all, no, I am not trying to start a flamewar.

If I recall correctly, de_dust was banhammered because it was being overplayed in the early 1.0's, right? Also if I am not mistaken there were some restrictions to physical map qualities, like, not allowing open spaces bigger than [place a value here]?

If I remember those things correctly, then why the hell do I get three 20/20 servers playing TOSOK on TWINCAMPERS@SNIPER_BEST when servers playing CTF mines or TDM complex have two afkers?

Before anyone points it out, yes, I come here from time to time only to complain about maps and weapons played and how stuff was better in 93.
Thanks given by:
de_dust was banned but people have recently uploaded slightly different version of it (i.e. the most common version is bs_dust. same map, just a different name)

Twincampers is played because the map makers have sleazed past a couple glitches in the restrictions and have negated the height and area rules. these maps are just more played because you really dont get these maps in other games. some people come to ac just for these maps specifically (at least the ones ive asked)

hope this helps
Thanks given by:
I remember dust was overplayed and there were a couple of servers running it 24/7 but unless I'm wrong, I think the major reason dust was removed was because it was based from CS. The servers that host the maps these days like sniper@camper, dash@camper, etc., don't host the same map 24/7, it's like a weird maprot filled with different maps but all of them with the idea of @camper maps; though I don't know why those servers haven't been removed since supposedly server owners are supposed to have a minimum amount of official maps in their maprots.
Thanks given by:
Maps like camper@rifle will be blocked with more efficient ways in the next release (until mappers will found new tricks to dodge new restrictions, endless fight), like Wolf said, some servers are blacklisted of the masterserver because of their maprots, I think the minimal is 2 or 3 (kinda low imo).

bs_dust2 was not the same issue AC1.1 is experiencing right now. The map was in a realistic environment and it was mainly voted in CTF, wich allowed to newcomers who only played bs_dust2 to switch to real official maps (and they also had no problem with the CTF mode) without any real problems.
Good luck to whoever try to force rifle@camper players to play ac_shine CTF, I can't even imagine the gap between these 2 assaultcubes.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jul 13, 02:06PM)ExodusS Wrote: Maps like camper@rifle will be blocked with more efficient ways in the next release (until mappers will found new tricks to dodge new restrictions, endless fight)
no. you keep saying this same thing every time but... don't you understand that it was a specific exploit that is now fixed and will not be cheated again ?
the mean height was checked and not the amount of cubes over the max height. so it was possible to lower the average height artificially which will then be impossible.
no it's, not an endless fight.
sometimes there are issues, and once they are fixed, they are fixed...
Thanks given by:
But I'm still sure some smart peoples will find new exploits, even if it will affect the gameplay, they will do it. It's you who didn't understand I was not talking about old (actual) tricks at all.

And anyway, mapping restrictions can restrict the way a map lags on older computers, but it can not restrict a map to the original wanted gameplay and design.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jul 13, 06:17PM)ExodusS Wrote: But I'm still sure some smart peoples will find new exploits, even if it will affect the gameplay, they will do it. It's you who didn't understand I was not talking about old (actual) tricks at all.
There is now no way to put too many high areas in your map.
use any trick you want, you won't be able to go over t the limit set anymore.
(09 Jul 13, 06:17PM)ExodusS Wrote: And anyway, mapping restrictions can restrict the way a map lags on older computers, but it can not restrict a map to the original wanted gameplay and design.
... And anyway, the restrictions are only here to make sure only low-lag maps are played, they are not here to force a kind of gampeplay and design.
Thanks given by:
Today i see all servers running just, ac_shine -> ac_desert3 -> ac-sunset -> ac_power
Shine - des3 - sunset - power again again again again and again ... Amazing map rotation ...
Awesomes servers running ac_douze 20/20 (95% of ac servers) so what problem with ac_dust2 ???
I really enjoyed the old times that I could play ac_dust2 ...
Thanks given by:
(27 Jul 13, 05:29PM)Theo_RJ* Wrote: Today i see all servers running just, ac_shine -> ac_desert3 -> ac-sunset -> ac_power
Shine - des3 - sunset - power again again again again and again ... Amazing map rotation ...
Awesomes servers running ac_douze 20/20 (95% of ac servers) so what problem with ac_dust2 ???

so why don't you host your server with ac_dust2 in its map rotation ?
Thanks given by:
Another solution would be to get people to use SVN, there is plenty old maps available on auto-download, just type /getmap and the name of the map you want to play, simple as that!

In the meantime you could take the opportunity to report any bug you eventually encounter.
Thanks given by:
(27 Jul 13, 08:53PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(27 Jul 13, 05:29PM)Theo_RJ* Wrote: Today i see all servers running just, ac_shine -> ac_desert3 -> ac-sunset -> ac_power

I do it with great pleasure. And I insist that people like you could not participate in it !

(28 Jul 13, 07:05AM)Cleaner Wrote: Another solution would be to get people to use SVN, there is plenty old maps available on auto-download, just type /getmap and the name of the map you want to play, simple as that!

In the meantime you could take the opportunity to report any bug you eventually encounter.

Good question :)
Thanks given by:
(28 Jul 13, 09:46AM)Theo_RJ* Wrote:
(27 Jul 13, 08:53PM)Luc@s Wrote:

I do it with great pleasure. And I insist that people like you could not participate in it !

ugh? what's wrong with you ? do you have very good reasons to be so unkind ?
Thanks given by:
Nothing wrong man. Just do not like sarcasm with serious issues.
Thanks given by:
where do you see sarcasm ?
Thanks given by:
I fail to see any sort of sarcasm too :s

And about my reply, it wasn't a question but a suggestion.
Thanks given by:
ziiiiiiiiif
Thanks given by:
MEGATOWERS_REWIND?
Thanks given by:
(Did some research, I was wrong, ignore this comment).
Thanks given by:
La la la ...
Thanks given by: