8th Official Mapping Competition!
When you're ready to convert all those brick floor textures on the outside to solid skymap walls, this will help or you can pm me.
Thanks given by:
Actually, I'm already using your changes, and tbh, this map wouldn't even be possible without the selected object feature. The map is ~nearly done, all I need is to light it up, and add gameplay features, that is, player bases, spawn points, pickups and clips so nobody decides to jump off the wall to nothingness. It would be really helpful if SOMEBODY COULD WRITE A SCRIPT that generates LIGHT ENTITIES across the map uniformly, so I don't have to manually make and position every light *hint*wink*pleasehelpme*. This is my first map, and if somebody is willing to do anything or all of the above, I'll be glad to upload it and make a joint entry into the competition. While making demands in disguise of pleading for help, the map could use some more detailing and heightfields as the detailing I did is very amateurish and there are zero slopes on the map as it is.

So, if you are a experienced mapper, this is the perfect opportunity to enter the competition with some ~easy work, seeing how I got a 70% finished map.
Thanks given by:
(06 Mar 13, 11:39PM)RKTnoob Wrote: So, if you are a experienced mapper, this is the perfect opportunity to enter the competition with some ~easy work, seeing how I got a 70% finished map.

All I can say is that the WQD will drop hard when you will had the light, even more if you add some details (arches, slopes, heightfields...) and mapmodels.

The map is too "open" to be handled by the Cube Engine, if you add solid walls at the middle it would be fine.
Thanks given by:
Well, maybe it could work without the arches and slopes, or maybe just a few here and there, but it will surely not be playable without any lights. There's a gazzilion map models already in it, mostly cardboard boxes retextured as walls and platforms for ceilings, but the map wouldn't be possible without them. Yeah, if I knew what I was doing, I could have made it better and shave about 20 to 30 % off the map models, specifically, making rooms of the correct width and length to better use models. As it is, there's a lot of clipping between the objects, but it's unavoidable except by remaking the whole map, which isn't going to happen. I know that regular AC maps use upper walls for the ceilings, but this map was not meant to be that way. Yeah, it prolly won't score much by the judges, or be labeled beautiful because it's my first, but I just wanna make an entry.

On a side note, my computer is pretty old but it runs the map well enough, and I imagine the gameplay should be good seeing how the map has tight spaces for all you shotgunners that keep shooting me in the face behind corners, and open spaces for all you snipers. The red base has a more defendable position with about 2 and a half entrances, but it has to attack uphill against the blue base which has about 3 and a half entrances. The RVSF can roof jump downhill to attack more quickly to balance the gameplay. I think it should be fun when it's done.

EDIT:

map
http://rghost.net/44322363

base positions
http://i.imgur.com/N3W6jip.jpg
Thanks given by:
I just tried it out and my FPS stays at 60 almost all the time (good -- my usually max)
And earlier I forgot some places of the map still need to be visible from others (I was suggesting an easy way to automatically convert all the brick textures to solid skymap) so I guess it'd be easier than I thought.

I wouldn't suggest employing a script that does uniform light. When I first started I wanted that too since I used /fullbright a lot. Manually lights always look better. you'll want to make a slightly yellow light throughout the map.
Thanks given by:
I'm confused as to why you're keeping all that open space around it, the fortress itself looks decent (albeit the height advantage of RVSF could be an issue possibly).
Thanks given by:
His map isn't finished.
Thanks given by:
I planned to model the cliff on which the fort is built upon, but that is prolly not gonna happen, maybe when I finish the map and I feel I can spare the time.

EDIT:

The map is done, I'm now looking for playtesters and feedback!

Based on Fortress Klis, near Split, Croatia.

[Image: kliska_tvrdava_2.jpg]

http://rghost.net/44344948

Link valid for 30 days.
Thanks given by:
I wish I had remembered to tell you this in an earlier stage of development: when mapmodels overlap like that, or when the platform mapmodels overlap cubes on the edges, they flicker a lot though maybe it's just my graphics card.

Advice for the future: plclips are just like clips in that they block players but allow grenades to go through. You should use these whenever there is no visible obstruction from a nade getting past.
Thanks given by:
(08 Mar 13, 12:00AM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: I wish I had remembered to tell you this in an earlier stage of development: when mapmodels overlap like that, or when the platform mapmodels overlap cubes on the edges, they flicker a lot though maybe it's just my graphics card.

This is called z-fighting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting
Thanks given by:
I did the geometry first, and after all was done I tried completing my first house...and then I saw that it's gonna be buggy. So, I was forced to not mind the glitching or redesign the whole map which was way too big. There'll be no flickering in my next map, that's for sure. Thanks for the clip tip.

this map is glitchy
this map is not loadable
it's like a peom
that doesn't even rhyme
Thanks given by:
For your roofs, to avoid Z-fighting RandumKiwi mentioned I suggest you use these platforms instead, they are included in next version's package...

// mapmodel 4 1 0 0 "cleaner/platform/8x8" // Alternative platform that fits *most* textures better // Requires setting a texture.
// mapmodel 8 1 0 0 "cleaner/platform/16x16" // Requires setting a texture.
Thanks given by:
Thanks to RandumKiwi and you for taking the time to help out, but I don't think I will be improving this specific map anymore, as it seems it breaks some rules about map building and isn't playable in multiplayer =( . The z-fighting is avoidable even with the regular models, I just didn't know enough about map editing to avoid it, by properly planing the map ahead of time.

To stray a bit off the topic, a few basic objects like cylinders, cubes and slopes of various sizes, or even re-sizable, would help immensely in making better looking maps, especially if they align to the grid. Only usable generic models in the current version are the 8x8 platform and the cardboard box. There's only two cylindrical shapes (the barrel and the overturned version of the barrel) that I could use to make cylindrical things, like logs and the well thingy, and only the cardboard box for walls I couldn't make otherwise (upper walls were not applicable to this map for that purpose). Maybe I could've made some custom content, but I wanted to enter the non-custom category. If anything, an object representing a curved slope could be used for arches, and maybe it would be even better than using height-fields if it takes less CPU power to render it than a height-field for the same purpose.

http://i.imgur.com/UrXZ9JH.jpg
Thanks given by:
Don't give it up so quickly! Rome wasn't build in a day and although the comparison is bold making a decent map takes time, a lot of it actually but you have till mid June to do so.
Doesn't fit pre-requisites? Well try to make it so, you already have a basic layout now think how you could improve it.
Thanks given by:
Hey RKTnoob, you've done well on your map so far from the screenshots I've seen. I can't load the map for some reason. Even though it is in my folders, and I can 'tab' to the map name, I can't load it.

Regardless of this, Cleaner is right. Don't give up! You can always update it till the deadline of the competition! :)
Thanks given by:
You can't get it to load in multiplayer unless it's set to co-op editing mode, and then switch editing off so you can shoot each other. To load the map just type "/map klis_2" in the chat prompt you get when you press "T". In singleplayer, just pres "E" to enter edit mode then "T" and then "/map klis_2"

About the update...well, I thought about it, but I can't get my head around some of the map restrictions, especially as there are loads of crappy maps out there that seem to have a lot of open space and stretch vertically more than 30 cubes high. I thought about how to remake the map to fit the map restrictions, but the essence of this map, is trying to make a medieval fort, which is built, like many other ones in real life, to have a wide difference of height, thus giving defenders an upper hand by allowing them to rain missiles down on the attackers. With a 30 cubes height limit, the vertical difference is very hard to achieve. I'm still not sure what breaks my map, checking it now, it about 70 cubes high, not counting the well which I could get rid of if needs be, and about 390x140 cubes wide and long. There are no solid "F" walls anywhere except around the fort (outside the play area) as to minimize the empty space and get more FPS out of it. If I don't figure out a way to get more height available, the only option I see is to squish the fort vertically, which would make it lose much of it's intended gameplay. With that in mind I could also make some buildings use solid walls, which would make it less open, but it will also remove some of the rooftop hopping, and also remove the height variation between the buildings, which is a part of the intended gameplay also. As I see it, it would be like powder milk; it's still milk alright, but it tastes like crap.
Thanks given by:
So...the map restrictions are preventing your maps from being played?

Aren't they supposed to stop crap maps, and not actually well made maps? :/
Thanks given by:
@ RKTnoob, I'd really like to help, can you please make your response like more 'readable'.
Thanks given by:
Quote:You can't get it to load in multiplayer unless it's set to co-op editing mode, and then switch editing off so you can shoot each other.

To load the map just type "/map klis_2" in the chat prompt you get when you press "T". In singleplayer, just pres "E" to enter edit mode then "T" and then "/map klis_2"

About the update...well, I thought about it, but I can't get my head around some of the map restrictions, especially as there are loads of crappy maps out there that seem to have a lot of open space and stretch vertically more than 30 cubes high.

I thought about how to remake the map to fit the map restrictions, but the essence of this map, is trying to make a medieval fort, which is built, like many other ones in real life, to have a wide difference of height, thus giving defenders an upper hand by allowing them to rain missiles down on the attackers. With a 30 cubes height limit, the vertical difference is very hard to achieve.

I'm still not sure what breaks my map, checking it now, it about 70 cubes high, not counting the well which I could get rid of if needs be, and about 390x140 cubes wide and long. There are no solid "F" walls anywhere except around the fort (outside the play area) as to minimize the empty space and get more FPS out of it.

If I don't figure out a way to get more height available, the only option I see is to squish the fort vertically, which would make it lose much of it's intended gameplay. With that in mind I could also make some buildings use solid walls, which would make it less open, but it will also remove some of the rooftop hopping, and also remove the height variation between the buildings, which is a part of the intended gameplay also.

As I see it, it would be like powder milk; it's still milk alright, but it tastes like crap.
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 13, 11:31PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: So...the map restrictions are preventing your maps from being played?

Aren't they supposed to stop crap maps, and not actually well made maps? :/

Yes, my map is not playable in multiplayer because of the map restrictions.

The map restrictions are there to stop maps that drop the FPS range to unplayable levels on older computers. As for them stopping crap maps, I can see the restrictions not working on @camper maps, so I was wondering what tricks those maps employ.

Thanks Felix_The_Ghost =)
Thanks given by:
Those maps use a few different methods of tricking the math so that the maps will pass through the restrictions, when in reality they shouldn't.

It all depends on what is causing your map to not pass. Assuming its the max volume/height checks you mainly just spam small rooms around the outside of the map in non-playable areas to bring the numbers down. If you want the "ultimate guide" search for the user "vern" on these forums. The URL in his user-title will answer the majority of your questions about it.

But seriously, 70 cube tall maps with giant open areas are not meant for this engine or game. These kind of maps/tricks definitely won't work in 1.2 with the fixed mapping restrictions, so I recommend avoiding them.
Thanks given by:
Hahahaha that's sort of helpful.
"Sure, here, make your map with these tricks, which will be erased in the next version."

From what I see, it's pointless to even try to make this sort of map for AC.

Someone on IRC suggested I try mapping for Sauer which seemed cool until I installed it and saw the gameplay is more akin to wipeout and pod racer than anything I would like to play.

Well, thanks for the help and information to all of you, but this map is not meant to be. I recommend it gets dropped from the competition. Maybe I'll make another entry which is passable at a later date.
Thanks given by:
So Halo has a question. If a map is made within the svn client, can/will it be judged using the svn? I am assuming all judges have svn on this one. This would allow for more stuff to be done to a map, but it would be rather hard to convert a map from svn back to 1.1, so that is why I ask here.
Thanks given by:
(18 Mar 13, 12:02PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: So Halo has a question. If a map is made within the svn client, can/will it be judged using the svn? I am assuming all judges have svn on this one. This would allow for more stuff to be done to a map, but it would be rather hard to convert a map from svn back to 1.1, so that is why I ask here.

Anyway I think (and I hope) the 1.2 will come out before the end of this contest, and judges allowed 1.2 stuffs that are exclusivelly on the SVN.
Thanks given by:
Yeah just a few bugs are holding up the release afaik.
:D
Thanks given by:
The models and textures in the SVN for 1.2 have moved folders.

So this in 1.1 map CFGs:
[cubescript]mapmodel 2 4 0 0 "dumpster" // 10[/cubescript]
would have to change to this for 1.2
[cubescript]mapmodel 2 4 0 0 "makke/dumpster" // 10[/cubescript]
etc. etc.

The moral of the story is that 1.2 maps can't be judged in 1.1 and vice versa.
Thanks given by:
There is a script to change 1.1 maps to 1.2, but not the other way around. So a 1.1 map can be judged in 1.2 but a 1.2 map can't be judged in 1.1. So that was the reasoning for my question. Also note that some textures changed paths as well as some sounds.
Thanks given by:
Maps will be judged on their appropriate versions, guys. :o
Thanks given by:
Most of the judges will have both versions surely. If not its not that hard to download. It may be beneficial to map on 1.2 from what ive seen though. It is the mappers prerogative to use the advantages available to them so i dont think there should be a split 1.1 and 1.2 category.
Thanks given by:
(11 Mar 13, 10:14AM)Bukz Wrote: If you want the "ultimate guide" search for the user "vern" on these forums. The URL in his user-title will answer the majority of your questions about it.

http://pastebin.com/BfwLUSCi

you are such a lazy bastard bukz :)
Thanks given by: