Poll: Non-Britons: Have you heard of Queen?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes and they are the greatest rock band
19.23%
5 19.23%
Yes and they are great
23.08%
6 23.08%
Yes and I like them
38.46%
10 38.46%
Yes, they are ok
3.85%
1 3.85%
Yes and I dislike them
11.54%
3 11.54%
No
3.85%
1 3.85%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Have you guys ever heard of Queen?
Here in the UK I think there's a general consensus that Queen are the best rock band there's ever been. Certainly within my family that is the case. For me there's three reasons they're the greatest. Firstly I think they're the only band who could release a greatest hits CD, or even double CD and you could honestly say every track deserved to be there. Secondly they had Freddy Mercury, for whom they're is another general consensus here; that he's the greatest front man to ever live. Lastly, they were great live. Unfortunately I'm too young to have ever seen them live, but I can watch them on video. Now I can watch my favourite song by other bands performed live and I very often get that terrible thought rushing in to my head; 'this is ****'. Even when it is good, I don't think there's ever been a band where I can honestly say that's as good as on the record. Apart from Queen.

But this general consensus, I'm led to believe that across the pond there's actually people who've never even heard of Queen. I just can't believe that's true, they're the greatest for heavens sake!
So I'm trying to see if this is true. I'm not trying to start a who's the greatest rock band debate, I just want to know if anyone in America or anywhere other than the UK for that matter has heard of Queen and if they like them.

And for the unfortunate who have never had the chance to listen to Queen here is their youtube channel we're you can listen to they're countless brilliant songs: http://www.youtube.com/artist/queen
Thanks given by:
Yes, and I have their greatest hits CD.
Thanks given by:
Weeeee are the champions...
Thanks given by:
Don't stop me now.
Thanks given by:
what's up with all these 'have you heard about' threads?
Thanks given by:
Overrated in general.
Thanks given by:
Yes they are the greatest rock band ever, I saw them live on the kind of magic tour, I also say them after Freddy passed away with Paul Rodgers. @BillyMay they could never be overrated in any way, I believ I have every single, album and 12 inch (old style) they have ever released even some really rare stuff from the Tokio tour.

I also am the proud owner of a recording from when Queen were Smile (pre Freddy), I have also shaken the hand of Brian May and Roger Taylor, unfortuneatley Freddy and walked on past.

This music stands the test of time in a way no other can, in my humble opinion best album would be "A Night at the Opera" followed closely by "Sheer Heart attack". Best moment ever would be the Live aid performance by Queen in 1985 linked below on YouTube :)

Thanks given by:
[Image: 1306157961queen-elizabeth-ii-british-elite-1.jpg]

QUOTE EDITED FOR BETTER CONTEXT.
(13 Jun 12, 06:39AM)BillyMays Wrote: [Queen the band] "Overrated in general."
^^^
Thanks given by:
(13 Jun 12, 07:44AM)DES|Anderson Wrote: Best moment ever would be the Live aid performance by Queen in 1985 linked below on YouTube :)

This is true
Thanks given by:
(13 Jun 12, 06:23AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: what's up with all these 'have you heard about' threads?
Lol.

(13 Jun 12, 08:55AM)MykeGregory Wrote: [Image: 1306157961queen-elizabeth-ii-british-elite-1.jpg]
(13 Jun 12, 06:39AM)BillyMays Wrote: Overrated in general.
^^^
How dare you insult your mother! And you call yourself a Brit.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jun 12, 03:12PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: your mother! And you call yourself a Brit.

I meant the band. Original post edited for better context. haha.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jun 12, 07:44AM)DES|Anderson Wrote: ....they are the greatest rock band ever....they could never be overrated in any way....
...This music stands the test of time in a way no other can.

This. Although Queen just isn't Queen without Mercury. :(
Thanks given by:
There's plenty of great rock music that stands the test of time. Queen is great for the arena style and are masters for sure. But there's also the Who, Hendrix (with band of gypsies), Zeppelin, etc etc. "greatest" is kind of an oversimplification for rock music.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jun 12, 06:39AM)BillyMays Wrote: Overrated in general.
[Image: 18313d1325459786-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-...00x500.jpg]
I'm talking to admins to provide you an insta-ban.
PS: AND THEY'RE THE FREAKING BEST BAND EVER. PERIOD.
Thanks given by:
Barceloooooooona
Thanks given by:
They're not overrated, but not the best.
Thanks given by:
Queen

Pop music, overrated, ruined the general opinion of what is a rock band, generated an high percentage of gay people, stupid lyrics, ridiculous chorus, no deep feelings, live shows were disgusting, no musical tecnique, estetically poor

result: global success.

Sunn 0)))

non Pop music, underrated, created a new musical genre, deepest musical feelings ever, lyrics are pure poetry, sound is awesome, making you cry everytime, live shows stun you for weeks, high skill, estetically great

result: few people heard about them, almost nobody finished to listen to a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90GVrwiE-8Y

get a culture.
Thanks given by:
(14 Jun 12, 03:16PM)YourSister Wrote: ...
umad?
Thanks given by:
(14 Jun 12, 03:16PM)YourSister Wrote: Queen

stupid lyrics, ridiculous chorus

Sunn 0)))

lyrics are pure poetry

get a culture.
Queen:
"Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like "

Genius.

'Sunn O)))':
"Old Mother Fucker
She was a cocksucker"

Speaks for itself.

(14 Jun 12, 03:16PM)YourSister Wrote: Queen

Pop music (You're right there, they were extremely popular), overrated (impossible), ruined (revolutionised?) the general opinion of what is a rock band, generated an high percentage of gay people (I can't comment on that, I know little of the science of 'generating gay people'), stupid lyrics (I know I mean they never even swore in their songs), ridiculous chorus (the whole concept of a catchy chorus is ridiculous you're quite right), no deep feelings (listen to fat bottomed girls), live shows were disgusting (that's why they don't get the opportunity to perform is garages like sunn0)))), no musical tecnique (it's hard to sell out wembley stadium when you have musical technique), estetically poor (Freddie Mercury defined dull...)

result: global success. (Mindfuck I know...)

Sunn 0)))

almost nobody finished to listen to a song.
Jeez I wonder why, 25 minutes of non stop utter drivel sounds quite appealing to me
Thanks given by:
there's a general consensus that The Beatles are the best rock band in UK
Thanks given by:
It's hard to call the Beatles rock and besides there's no better candidate for most overrated band of all time.
Thanks given by:
(14 Jun 12, 05:13PM)Hellspell Wrote: It's hard to call the Beatles rock and besides there's no better candidate for most overrated band of all time.
They're still considered a classic rock band :)
Thanks given by:
AC/DC entered the fray!
Thanks given by:
(15 Jun 12, 02:03AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(14 Jun 12, 05:13PM)Hellspell Wrote: It's hard to call the Beatles rock and besides there's no better candidate for most overrated band of all time.
They're still considered a classic rock band :)
I've never heard anyone call them rock, just pop or more specifically beat. But I'm not really a rock fan so I don't know. What I do know is I haven't heard a single one of their songs that appeals to me and I've seen a few most overrated bands lists and only once didn't they top it. They were second behind The Jam on that one, which I disagree with.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jun 12, 02:28AM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: AC/DC entered the fray!
They're not from UK. :>
Thanks given by:
Oh. Didn't read that.
Hellspell's post was a tl;dr.
Thanks given by: