Maths Problems Thread
As requested by RCJD, here's a problems thread for everyone to contribute to. When you post a new question in the thread give it a number so we can keep track of them or this will get chaotic.

#1 (easy): Prove there are no Pythagorean triplets (a, b, c) such that a b and c are all primes.

#2 (easy): Prove by construction that Q is dense in R. That is, for any real numbers x and x' (with x < x') find a fraction a/b with x < a/b < x' (a and b are integers, b is non-zero).

#3 (medium, requires programming): Find the number of squarefree numbers less than [Image: png.latex?10%5E%7B12%7D].

#4 (medium, requires programming): How many primes are there less than 123456789109?

#5 (medium): Find all solutions to [Image: png.latex?x%5Ey=y%5Ex] with x and y positive integers.
Thanks given by:
Chuck Norris
Thanks given by:
I was half asleep and in a state of being incredibly emotionally unstable when I spent less than a minute writing something out for this in the morning, so I'm not going to bother looking at what I wrote or trying to fix it, but I will do the last two.
Thanks given by:
(24 May 12, 04:39PM)Habluka Wrote: 1. Pythagorean Theorem states that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and a Pythagorean triplet is 3 numbers that satisfy this that are positive integers. a and b must therefore be positive integers and multiplying and adding integers will always get another integer, so you know that a * a + b * b will be an integer, which means c is the square root of an integer. Because of the definition of a Pythagorean triplet, this means c is a perfect square and thus is unable to be prime.

c is not necessarily a perfect square though. For example the triple (3,4,5) is Pythagorean (since 9+16=25) and c is in fact prime.

(24 May 12, 04:39PM)Habluka Wrote: 2. there are no conditions given that state that x < x', meaning that x can be greater than x'. In this condition, there would be no way that x < a/b < x'. Rewrite this one and I don't like proofs by construction.

You're right it was a bit unclear. You should take x < x'.

(24 May 12, 04:39PM)Habluka Wrote: 3. 10^6 - 1 (takes no programming or real calculations since sqrt(10^12 = 10^6)

A squarefree number is a positive integer n such that no square divides n wholly. For example 18 is not squarefree since 3 squared divides it. But 30 is since it has no square factors.

But that answer is far off. Try working with smaller versions of the problem first. For instance there are 11 squarefrees less than 16: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15.
Thanks given by:
(24 May 12, 09:23AM)Roflcopter Wrote: Find all solutions to [Image: png.latex?x%5Ey=y%5Ex] with x and y positive integers.

Thanks given by:
Well, if you think about it, it's not specified that x!=y ;)
Thanks given by:
dammit tempest.
Thanks given by:
(24 May 12, 05:19PM)Mael Wrote:

Nice solution for the non-trivial solutions.

Thanks given by:
#1. c=sqr[a^2+b^2].
If. a and b are primes , then square root of a^2 + b^2 will not be an integer. To satisfy the
Pythagoras theorem a, b and c should be integers.
Thanks given by:
(24 May 12, 06:19PM)Sarath Wrote: #1. c=sqr[a^2+b^2].
If. a and b are primes , then square root of a^2 + b^2 will not be an integer. To satisfy the
Pythagoras theorem a, b and c should be integers.

Seems a bit like hand-waving. Why cannot the square root of two primes squared be an integer? It's a correct statement but the proof of it is essentially as hard as the original question.
Thanks given by:
#6 (No programming or advanced math required. Pure logic)

Five pirates found a treasure chest containing 100 coins, but they don't know how to divide it.
Now, these are all very intelligent pirates and they want to use methods of diplomacy as opposed to barbaric fighting.

You can imagine the five pirates as: A B C D E

They agree on the following rules:
-The first pirate in line will make a proposal on how to divide the money between the five pirates. So Pirate A will make the proposal first. If A dies (see below), then B will be next to make a proposal for the remaining four pirates... And so on.

-Proposals are simply about how to divide the money (ex. "A gets 20, B gets 30, C gets 15, D gets 35, E gets 0"). They cannot contain any conditions (ex. "B promises C he will give him extra coins if C helps B kill off A). These pirates don't trust each other.

-After a proposal is made, the pirates make a vote. The pirate who made the proposal votes "YES" for his own proposal. The others must decide "YES" or "NO".

-If 50% or more of the pirates say YES, the proposal passes and takes effect. NOTE, 50% is a pass!

-If less than 50% of the pirates say YES, then the pirate who made the proposal is thrown off board. The next guy in the front of the line will make a new proposal.

All of these pirates have the same priorities:
1) stay alive
2) get as much money as possible
3) see another pirate die

Priority 1 > 2 > 3. 1 is most important, 3 is least.

Basically, these priorities apply to how a pirate makes a proposal or votes.

Good luck, I made this problem sound a lot longer than it should. It's not that hard, and only requires logic. It's not a trick question. Please leave solutions in spoilers (type [spoiler.] "insert solution here" [/spoiler.]. Without the periods in the brackets xD).
Thanks given by:
#6. I have seen this :P

More questions
#7(easy)
The houses of a row are numbered consecutively from 1 to 49. Show that there is a value of x such that the sum of the numbers of the houses preceding the house numbered x is equal to the sum of the numbers of the houses following it. Find this value of x.
#8(easy)
A ladder has rungs 25 cm apart. The rungs decrease uniformly in length from 45 cm at the bottom to 25 cm at the top.If the top and bottom rungs are 2.5 m apart, what is the length of the wood required for the rungs ?
Thanks given by:
nb. If you're struggling to see the black-on-grey latex, click on "Lite (Archive) Mode" in yellow at the bottom of the page - it's black-on-white.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
kk gj

#9[difficult]
No three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^ n for any integer value of n greater than two. Give a proof to this theorem
[troll]
Thanks given by:
(25 May 12, 09:50AM)Sarath Wrote: #9[difficult]
No three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^ n for any integer value of n greater than two. Give a proof to this theorem
[troll]

I doubt I can do Fermat's Thm but I can get a little way. If n=uv then (a^u)^v + (b^u)^v = (c^u)^v so there would be a solution to the case with n=v. Therefore we only need to prove for n an odd prime or 4. (This is a well-known idea and not originally mine.)

If gcd(a,b,c)>1 then a solution a' = a/g, b' = b/g, c' = c/g exists, hence we only have to prove a,b and c with gcd(a,b,c)=1. (Probably also not original.)

We need only prove for pairwise-coprime (a,b,c) since... if g := gcd(x,y) > 1 with x and y two different elements of (a,b,c) and z = the third element, then a^n + b^n = c^n (mod g) => z^n = 0 (mod g) => z=0 (z can't be any other zero divisor of g since then gcd(x,y,z)>1 which we proved above was a case we didn't need to consider). (Probably also not original.)

This means we only need to prove it for n=3, 4, 5, 7, 11, .. and pairwise coprime a, b and c.

#1 solution:
#2 solution:
Thanks given by:
#6 :
Thanks given by:
#10 (medium):
Prove that for n>4, F_n is composite if n is composite. F_n is the nth Fibonacci number (F_0 = 0, F_1 = 1, F_2 = 1, F_3 = 2, F_4 = 3, ..).
Thanks given by:
Congrats, Sarath and Mystered. Your solutions to #6 were all 100% correct and they were surprisingly clear and concise!

Here comes #11:
A king receives 1000 wine bottles for his birthday. He knows that exactly one of them is poisoned, while the other 999 are all fine.

He wants to find out which bottle is the poisoned one. He decides to use 10 of his prisoners to use as testers (:

Basically, here are the rules:
-After drinking the poisoned wine, it could take up to 24 hours (1 day) before the poison kills whoever drank it.
-You can assume there is an infinite volume of wine in each bottle (no need to worry about running out). You can also assume drinking wine takes 0 time, for argument's sake.

That's it! So, using the 10 prisoners, what is the fastest way to find the poisoned bottle? There may be multiple solutions, but the best one I have lets me find the poisoned bottle in one day.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
(27 May 12, 04:10AM)Sarath Wrote: #11

:O
Haven't heard this one before. Pretty similar to the one I had in mind... neat though!
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by: