URGENT HELP: "network not assigning network address"
This has never been a problem but has now affected two computers in my house. TCP/IP is checked, all the boxes in properties of the connection were checked. The website doesn't have the phone number to contact them and we've lost the notebook that did have it so that's why im asking about here.
I've tried typing stuff to do with "netsh winsock" in the cmd thing, and they've done nothing to help, in fact they may have made the problem worse. I probably had a simple problem and then typed all that crap that was recommended on the internet and that really caused the problem.

Thanks in advance, cubers
Thanks given by:
I can't make much sense from that error message, but this sounds like a problem with DHCP. Make sure it's enabled in the router config.

(22 Apr 12, 06:18PM)Hellspell Wrote: I probably had a simple problem and then typed all that crap that was recommended on the internet and that really caused the problem.
Quite likely. Remember that for next time.
Thanks given by:
Yes, i was thinking along the lines of it had to do with that whatever it is. i think when i typed ipconfig all it said dhcp enabled: no. if it's not enabled in the router config how would other laptops work? I tried looking for anything to do with DHCP in the router before i posted this thread but I found nothing anywhere.
Thanks given by:
You have gone to "Internet Protocol Version 4" properties in the network adapter properties and everything is set to Obtain Automatically?

Go to Start > Run (or hold Windows logo key and press R) then type 'services.msc', and see if DHCP Client service is started and set to automatic.
Thanks given by:
Maybe try and lease a new IP.

cmd prompt --> ipconfig /release --> ipconfig /renew
Thanks given by:
I believe I've fixed it. Im not sure how, I changed the network encryption to wap2 instead of wep and that fixed the computer we were working on, although that caused all the other computers not to work because they were set to wep, but we fixed that. Thank you for your responses.
Thanks given by: