Brightness/Gamma issue
Ok, so today I finished up playing AssaultCube and closed the program, and the brightness/gamma from the game has somehow been imprinted onto my desktop. I know this is the case because before when I've alt-tabbed I've seen the screen go this bright and then dim down. However this time it's stuck on my desktop. Normally in the past when I've had this issue I could restart my PC and it goes away.

However this time, I restart, login screen is fine, and even the desktop is ok for about 5 seconds on startup until AML Device Install pops up, and then my screen suddenly gets a lot brighter. I try using monitor brightness to bring it down and it sort of works but the brightness is clashing, and it's just making my screen a horrible dim grey.

Any ways to restore my desktop to it's old brightness pre-AC f*cked everything up?
Thanks given by:
Start AC. Set gamma to a low value. Start task manager. Kill the process. Or crash AC if you know how.

It happens to me too sometimes. I think I usually crash AC because I can't remember if killing the process actually works.
Thanks given by:
Killing the process doesn't really work, how do you propose crashing it?
Thanks given by:
Off the top of my head I only know one way but I can't tell you how to do it because it can be used to do very naughty things online.

Alternatively, if AC becomes unresponsive it might serve the same purpose. Try using a script that loops some action indefinitely with no delay. I don't know if that will actually work but you might as well try it.

Try looping the screenshot function. Or bind the screenshot command to a button and hold it for several seconds. Then repeatedly click the close button.

If you have the remote control script installed maybe someone who knows how can crash your game for you.
Thanks given by:
This happened to me for a while until I updated my all the drivers on my computer, I assume it was an issue with my graphics card but I updated a bunch at once so I'm not sure if it was just that.

It happens now rarely, and to fix it I just restart and I go a few months without seeing it again.
Thanks given by:
Have you looked at your graphics card settings? I'm not sure how nvidia stores settings but they may have been corrupted or you experienced a bug and the settings for AC overwrote your normal settings.

I have two monitors both with custom graphics settings and play AC (with its own separate settings) on one full screen so sometimes things get a little weird when exiting fullscreen or closing the game.
Thanks given by:
[cubescript]alias crash [crash][/cubescript]
set your gamma to default value and type /crash
that works for me.
Thanks given by:
I say driver bug. If the gamma doesn't get restored to the original value when the setting process quits, that's most likely the driver's fault. Anyway, you should have some driver controls (Driver control settings/Catalyst control center/whatever) which offer you a gamma option. Reset that to 1.0/normal/..., or if that doesn't work, look around for something like "reset hardware defaults".
Thanks given by: