Server list ranking.
Sorry if you think this is a "double post" but on the other thread "Server tags" i was kinda offtopic.
Some of you will think that i'm spamming new thread (and somebody certainsly spoke about it in the "idea" thread between 1402 posts or in a lost thread in the "general" forum.) but i just want to have a better next version for me and for everyone. ;) And i want all the devs attentions :P

Yesterday i took a screenshot of the server list from the masterserver.

[Image: ac_cli10.jpg]

Here you can see the "favs" column (i think that people use it but i don't)
The "ping" column" that's how i chose my server.
The "Players" column, obviously usefull!
And then the omg "server" column.
Here you can see in first, the map, then the mode followed by the server adress who take a lot of place. At the end you find the server name (usefull too)

I edited this screenshot, here is the result:

[Image: master10.jpg]

In first, i added all information by columns and it obviously make it a lot cleaner.

I didn't delete the IP, but i putted it at the down of the list, you must scroll on the server to see the server adress.
I think it's better than before because (if you look at the first screenshot) at the end of the server list you could see the server name (yes, the same server name than on the list...) and the server adress isn't very important (even if it is, you don't need to see 2,3.10^84 numbers in this list, just the only one you want)

The F1 (for setting/help) is still here (i don't care about where it is placed) but i added the F5 command (refresh the list).

Map and mode have each their own columns.

In the server column, you only see the server name (the 5th server have no name)

The "serverquality.png" pictures are used to filter server pings. (it was based on server quality but all TyD and BoB servers were full yellow so even if they are "bad" only them have ac_official in Flag Mode with a Good Player Level...)
Green = ping < 100
Green yellow = 100 < ping < 150
Yellow = 150 < ping < 200
Yellow red = 200 < ping < 250
Red = ping > 250
(yeah i know there is an error when i edited colours...:P)

I think that the "map" can't be a column because some map names are to long (no more map restrictions, watch the first name of ac_industrial ;D).
If you have some better ideas please, say it!
Thanks given by:
That's really nice ExoBro, good work :D
Thanks given by:
Nice work I like it, I have to say (at the risk of angering the devs) the server quality thing is not good. I tried desperatly to find out why my servers had red and yellow or full yellow sometimes, then i noticed it correlated with people who joined the server with high lag! So actually it appears to be an amalgamation of the server and the players quality (a little unfair to the server owner). This was further backed up by the fact that my servers run on the same hardware with the same connection but one is green and the other yellow, also when i looked at the detail I saw red in low numbers and all green in high numbers, this i figured was because a game with few players was played with someone who was lagging badly or even a group who were.

So for my part, the idea above is great and showing ping in that colour chart instead of this strange quality measure we currently have would be awesome.

sits back and awaits the hate mail!
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20120111215201acminestd.jpg]

All I had to do was play with the format strings. I'll work on the colored ping next. Also, shortening the 'map' field.
Thanks given by:
+1 exo!
Thanks given by:
Love it!
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20120111230911acdesertd.jpg]

I think I'm done. Let me know what you guys think. I'll submit the patch when it's up to snuff.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 12:12AM)MasterKaen Wrote: I think I'm done. Let me know what you guys think. I'll submit the patch when it's up to snuff.

Looks pretty much perfect.

But if you can, make the server address appear on the bottom left corner as well. Nice one :)
Thanks given by:
Remove some of the padding on the map name and fav column
Thanks given by:
can you add a menu where you can check the infos you want?
Like a menuitemcheckbox for the fav list or others.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 01:14PM).ExodusS* Wrote: can you add a menu where you can check the infos you want?

Yes, but that sounds like a separate patch.

Here's the latest:
[Image: 20120112175500acdesert2.jpg]

I think the fav column is as small as it can get while still making everything line up.
Thanks given by:
v62 it's v63 !!!
Thanks given by:
I love it too
Thanks given by:
Quote:Remove some of the padding on the map name and fav column

MasterKaen, would it be too hard to fetch all the strings and just check for the largest one (for each column), and use that + a set number as the "padding"?
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 07:28PM).ExodusS* Wrote: v62 it's v63 !!!
V41. ;)
Looks cool.
1.1.1?

Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 12, 08:09PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: would it be too hard to fetch all the strings and just check for the largest one (for each column), and use that + a set number as the "padding"?

That's actually what the code currently does. I don't want to change the function they're using to format text, nor do I want to write my own for it, so the current padding is just a constraint I have to work within.

(12 Jan 12, 08:09PM)MykeGregory Wrote: Looks cool.
1.1.1?

The patch was written on the 1.1.0.4 code, but it looks like it'll be trivial to make it apply to SVN. Then it's up to the devs :P
Thanks given by:
Quote:so the current padding is just a constraint I have to work within.
I guess I'm not certain anymore what this sense of padding is.
Thanks given by:
The menu items are constructed using strings such as
"\fs\f%c%d\t\fs\f%c%d/%d\fr\t\a%c  "
in both the current code and my patch.

These strings are (eventually) passed to vsnprintf, and then the length of each field is equalized and padded a constant amount on the right by a special text rendering function. The field separator is just the \t character you see repeated. It doesn't take any flags or precision specifiers etc.

The %s conversion specifiers can take a precision (length) specifier, which I use on the map name field (%.12s) to limit the number of characters. However, neither the fixed amount of padding that is appended to the right (after the field has been equalized), nor the width of the field in pixels can be specified (without changing the functions in render_text.cpp, which I know better than to touch :P ).
Thanks given by:
No, seriously, you must send the code to devs cause it must be in the next version!!! :D

DEVS LOOK AT IT!
Thanks given by:
Love it and would like it :) F1 guys.
Good to see people contributing to AC to help the devs out and with their idea's to :)
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 12, 10:13AM)BULL3T Wrote: Good to see people contributing to AC to help the devs out and with their idea's to :)

As for the /stoptime command! :P
Thanks given by:
Wow, MasterKaen, it looks perfect to me!
1.1.1 pweeease :D
Thanks given by: