openSUSE 12.1 Troubles
I've just updated to openSUSE 12.1 64bit, and haven't been able to get AC to work. I've installed all the necessary packages (sdl_image, sdl_ttf, sdl1.2 and openAL soft) but when I try to start AC from terminal I get the following error:
home/ned/Documents/1.1.0.4/bin_unix/linux_64_client: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1: file too short

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks :)
Thanks given by:
Anyone? I could really use some help on this one.
Thanks given by:
Have you tried building the AC client yourself? It might be the possibility of your openAL being either too new/old, than what was used in building it. That, or you're trying to run 32bit AC with 64bit libs. (just guessin')

Edit: i get 0 points for reading comprehension. :< I still suggest you try build AC yourself, tho.
Thanks given by:
I've tried building it myself but I got some compiler errors about a few missing header files :/ I can share them if you want, but I feel like it would be easier to fix my openAL problems if anyone knows how to fix it.
Thanks given by:
maybe if you install synaptic package manage (if not yet installed) and than install the libopenal libraries using the synaptic
Thanks given by:
That looks like there's a problem with your OpenAL installation. Try reinstalling it (through the package manager, if possible).
If that doesn't fix it, or if you have some Unix experience and don't mind screwing around in your system, make sure /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1 is not a file, but a symlink to the actual library.
Thanks given by:
@Milandrag, already done that (using YaST, not Synaptic though)
@tempest, I'll give that a go. I'm not exactly sure how to go about checking if a file is a symlink, but once I have a chance I'll do some research on the matter. I've already tried reinstalling it and that was to no avail :(

Thanks for the replies.
Thanks given by:
ls -l /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1

If it is a symlink it will display an 'arrow' toward the real file.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it was pointing to libopenal.so.1.13.0, so assuming this is the right library, it's working :/
Thanks for the command anyways.

Any other ideas on the problem then? I'm gonna try reinstalling again.

EDIT: That reinstall worked... kind of. I clicked on assaultcube.sh after the reinstall and the game opened, but my screen was black. I could hear the theme playing and the menu clicking as I scrolled, but no image :/ When I ran the shell script from the command line I got the same file too short error :/
Thanks given by:
What version of AssaultCube do you have? If you "ls -l /usr/lib*/*openal*" do you see any other ones that should possibly be used instead?

If AC is outdated in your repositories it may be better to build.
Thanks given by:
They're all symlinks to the same file :(

I didn't download AC through a package manager, I got it off the website.
Thanks given by:
maybe if you try installing though the package manager... cuz i know that when i installed mine through ubuntu software manager i got some extra files installed along with it
Thanks given by:
openSUSE doesn't have a "software center" like Ubuntu or Mint do, and I recall the versions in the software center being outdated as well. I don't believe there is a AC package either.
Thanks given by:
It's up-to-date in Arch repos but yeah, I remember Ubuntu being big steps behind.

So I can make sure I understand the situation, can you post output of ls -l /usr/lib*/*openal* ?
Thanks given by:
ned@linux-cckb:~> ls -l /usr/lib*/*openal*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Nov 26 12:30 /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1 -> libopenal.so.1.13.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Oct 29 23:06 /usr/lib64/libopenal.so.1.13.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Nov 25 00:00 /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1 -> libopenal.so.1.13.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 297400 Oct 29 22:07 /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1.13.0
Thanks given by:
Interesting, your lib64/libopenal.so.1.13.0 is empty. Maybe corrupted somehow? If you search in YaST for openal do you have a 64 and 32-bit version? If that fails, I'd try installing from http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html#download
Thanks given by:
That did it! I went into YaST and uninstalled the 32bit (as well as all of the other packages :/) and just clicked on the openAL package. The game worked! Thanks Jack, and everyone else who helped.

However, for some odd reason I can't fire my pistol :/
Thanks given by:
Awesome. :) I would go to Menu > Settings > Keyboard and make sure that Attack is bound to MOUSE1. If so, run assaultcube.sh from a terminal and see if you get anything in output when you try to fire. Never seen this one before, but there might be a clue there.
Thanks given by:
Wait, just the pistol? No other weapon?
Thanks given by:
This reminds me that I used to have the same problem with the pistol with older versions of SUSE (before 11.3 I think), and on a different laptop with Intel integrated graphics. Usually after hammering the fire key for half a round it would start working again. I can't remember what I did to get it fixed, but updating the graphics driver would be worth a try. What hardware are you running on?
Thanks given by:
Now neither my primary or my pistol shoot... this sucks :(

In terms of hardware I have a fancy dancy Nvidia Geforce 240m grapihcs card coupled with a not so fancy Intel Core 2 Duo.
Thanks given by:
Do any weapons attack properly? If none of them do, then Jack's troubleshooting steps are the route to take.
Thanks given by:
Yes. It's been alternating between my pistol and my primary not working (or neither). The rest of them work perfectly.
Thanks given by: