Assault cube won't run on my lappy
Hello everyone, how r u doing?
First of all I would like to thank all AC devs for this awesome game.
On to my problem, this game runs perfectly on my bro's laptop but it wouldn't run on mine.
My laptop doesn't have much specs to be so happy about so I need to decrease resolution and/or graphic effects. But I'm unable to make any changes. Once I click " apply now " even without changing anything ( whether on username menu or options menu or any menu ), assault cube exists and this message appears in command line " Win32 exception : 0xc0000005 [0x80]
Any help in appreciated. Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics card drivers to the latest version?

Also, try disabling DEP.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, what's DEP?
And I've tried doing that to no avail. I've tried reinstalling the game and I even used the portable version of it, same problem.
Thanks given by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

Have a quick google to find out how to disable on your OS.
Thanks given by:
Copy your assaultcube(.bat) to my_assaultcube(.bat) and add the following parameters:
REM ORIGINAL:
REM start bin_win32\ac_client.exe --init %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
REM NEW:
start bin_win32\ac_client.exe --init -w1024 -h768 -a0 -v0 -b16 -z24 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
The b/z values are what's proven best for nVidia-cards, but shouldn't be a problem on ATI ones either.
You should tweak the w/h params to fit your desktop-screen-resolution, since that's apparently what your card does best anyway ;-)
This doesn't clear you of the basic precept of giving us the proper details on your system to give you the proper help .. all the above (and this) posts are just shots in the dark .. give us your OS, gfx-card-make/model and driver details.
HTH
Thanks given by:
CPU : T3100 @ 1.9 GHZ Celeron Dual core
Ram : 1 GB ddr2 ram @ 333 MHz ( Runs at actually 768 mb because of the onboard gpu taking from it )
GPU : Sis672 integrated graphics @ 256 MB

Thanks given by:
You left out the driver details; a quick search on "SIS 672" brought me this comment that it was 9 years old, post says 8, but it itself is one year old :-P
And a number of other posts complaining about hard-to-find XP-drivers and bad quality in games like "The Sims 2" or when watching DVDs.
You should be sure - by visiting http://www.sis.com/download/ - that you have the most recent drivers for it!
Did you try out the program-arguments I posted above?!
You can also read this wiki-entry (although it's geared toward sauerbraten) for some suggestions on improving performance in cubeengine-games via switches on the commandline: Sauerbraten Performance Guide
HTH
Thanks given by:
I use driver 3.91 ( the one previous to latest because latest caused me issues with some of my games ).
I'm sorry, but I know nothing about programming stuff or the dos-like language, so I understood zero of your programming arguments xD
I'd appreciate it if you could explain it step by step :D
Thanks again.
Thanks given by:
AC-wiki: Microsoft Windows : Changing launch-parameters
HTH
Thanks given by:
Hello. Sorry for late reply, been too busy with school.
I tried what you said, the game ran in a window ( not full screen ) but there were no crashes. However, when I tried to make it ( 1280x800 ) resolution ( my screen resolution ) the fps were horrible. It seems the crash occurs only in full screen.
I tried to change resolution to 640x480, which seems barely playable tbh, and then switched to full screen but the fps didn't exceed 30 which isn't that nice. The graphics are at " horrible " as well.
So I guess my problem as of now is how to speed up the game and ( if possible to fix, not that much of a necessity currently ) how to run the game directly at full screen without crashing.
Sorry for long post.
Thanks
Thanks given by:
Sounds like your card has issues with fullscreen?
Thanks given by: