DotStorm
[to the mods] sorry, I know this is my third thread in two days or something, but I just finished this and wanted to get some feedback. I'll make it up by not creating any threads all this week, k? [/to the mods]

this is a little game I made in java. I know the game idea isn't original at all, but all the images and coding are by me. let me know what you think and how well you can do. I usually last around a minute.
http://www.lantry.byethost24.com/
Thanks given by:
It was better than I thought it would be. Are the dots orbiting you?

After a few plays it has gotten very fun. I would recommend a pause feature and the option to add more dots whenever you want. I would also delay the moment the dots change direction when exiting the screen. If there's no cushion between the moment they appear on the other side and the moment they change direction a clever person would carefully manipulate the dots and place them right on the edge to temporarily lock them in distant orbit. Good job so far.

The behavior of the red dots is a little peculiar. They seem to orbit you but make funky turns when they reach their apex.

(03 Apr 11, 04:32AM)Lantry Wrote: I usually last around a minute.

You'd think a young man like you could last longer than that.

My record is now 104 seconds.
Thanks given by:
yeah, they way they move is a bit peculiar. if you want, you can look at the source.
how many dots were there at 104 seconds?
Thanks given by:
Agghh! Another addictive browser game. :-P
Makes me wonder how the earth avoids getting hit by comets and stuff.
Thanks given by:
There were ten dots at 104 seconds. It doesn't look like any more are spawning after that point.
Thanks given by:
yeah, that should be right. I had set the limit at ten, now its at (i think) 50.
also, added the pause. I limited it to three times per round so you can't slo-mo cheat.
Thanks given by:
maaaaaaan, eff you. <3
Thanks given by:
damn, this is one simple yet awesome game! congratulations :)
Thanks given by:
Now I know how a satellite feels :P
Well done!
Thanks given by:
cool game
Thanks given by:
I lasted 32 seconds _without moving_. :D
Thanks given by:
It feels like you also added that cushion I was talking about. And the dots seem to behave a little differently. I was trying to get as many dots to orbit very close to me but could only get two or three to do so yesterday. Today I had 8 orbiting extremely close.
Thanks given by:
yep, I slightly changed the way they move to prevent you from being able to not move but still get a decent score. Now you shouldn't be able to last more than 10 seconds without moving. I also noticed that they are clumping up more, I think because they stay closer to the cursor.
Thanks given by:
Cool! The story is good also! I'm assuming its "RVSF guy walking around at night, gets jumped by a bunch of CLA guys!"
Thanks given by:
It doesn't work for me... I just get an error message.
Thanks given by:
do you have java installed?
if not, get it here: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

what is the error message?
Thanks given by:
I found a cheat already. You can drag the blue dot out of the play area, lol.
Thanks given by:
:O

imma go fix that.
thanks for reporting it!
Thanks given by:
Record is 33 secs with 7 balls ;(

Have you thought of adding power-ups? Such as:
a) Some special yellow or colorful dots that make the game go slow-mo for 5 seconds
b) Make 1 dot go away from the amount you had for 10 seconds; only available once you have at least 2 dots (if there are 5 dots, then there would be 4)
c) Invincibility for 5 seconds

I'm sure you can come up with more :)
Thanks given by:
fixed! there is another cheat that I know of involving pausing the game, I am surprised no one has found it yet. I would fix it, but it's not really that great of a cheat, and since there is a limited amount of pauses you can just imagine it's a powerup :D

as for actual powerups, I already had the idea to give the player a certain amount of slo-mo time that they can use per game, but I hadn't though of pickups.

EDIT: I just added slow-mo.
Thanks given by: