Updating AssaultCube in Ubuntu Repos.
Hey, so when people try linux(usually ubuntu for a noobie) they may often look through the games it has to offer in the software center. The packages in the software center for ubuntu are still of 1.0.4 and I'm just thinking people may download/install this and when they see the masterserver is down will just assume a dead end game.

Would it be possible to have the latest version packaged so that users will be using the newest version of the game? And if so is there any people who need to be contacted for the repos to be updated?

I'm happy to help out if I can :)
Thanks given by:
Its easily enough for them to get here after they google AssaultCube, thinking wtf i need help.
Thanks given by:
It is easy, but it's much easier to do nothing and remove the package. I bet we lose a lot of potential players this way. I hope there's someone who knows how the package repos for linux get updated...
Thanks given by:
Or if they cant get in Synaptic they can use a PPA (Personal Package Archive).
Packaging/PPA - Launchpad Help
Thanks given by:
What repository is located the AC pack?... and how to contact the repository managers?
Google did not help me in these questions.
Thanks given by:
All i can find was the "maintainer".
Ubuntu Developers <[email protected]>

This package was debianized by Gonéri Le Bouder on Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:37:10 +0200

Ubuntu -- Details of package assaultcube in lucid
Ubuntu -- Details of package assaultcube-data in lucid

Bugs : “assaultcube” package : Ubuntu
Thanks given by:
The old masterserver replies with some text-output pointing people to the official site, so they can get the most up-to-date version.
We've never stopped people from packaging for their favourite distribution, but sadly they often make mistakes when packaging (like bad paths) and they mostly don't keep working on them past the first time.
As DES|OpenSource pointed out there's a package-information webpage for most high-level distros and there should also be a command-line tool and maybe even a GUI for inspecting details of the distribution-package .. where you'll find contact data for the maintainer of that package.
I remember when the 1.0.4 package for Ubuntu turned out to contain those faulty paths I mentioned above .. I tried to contact various maintainers for various distributions - none of them replied .. you might need to contact the distribution maintainers themselves to take over the job of maintaining the orphaned packaging-project.
Thanks given by:
http://masterserver.cubers.net/cgi-bin/a...etrieve.do

Quote:Goodbye world!!

This service has been discontinued since November 2010.

This doesnt give any information regarding newer versions, i would guess people think the game is discontinued too :(
Thanks given by:
Arghl. Working with this team can be such a ...
I just checked the text-file I had put into play when this topic came up in another thread a few days back .. I never knew someone had gone and added this work-around to my fix on the 3rd of January. Thank you for actually double-checking by using that URL Billybob. I've fixed that oversight now.
Thanks given by:
I am pretty sure I told RK that it would be nice if it was more descriptive :P
What is stopping ya'll from emailing the Ubuntu fellas? I do know plenty of linux users come here and ask what the problem is.
Thanks given by:
I would have done the same, had i not been in this community for 3 years and so seen all the users come here asking about the downed masterserver. The main page of this site always has the right stuff ;)
Thanks given by: