a modding request/challenge...

i have made myself a little blood-on-the-knife mod. ya know, a little MS paint creation.
but i was wandering if it can be coded or modded so that the knife is clean untill you kill someone with it, then it would have blood all over it.

is that do-able?
Thanks given by:
I think there might be a chance. If it is, I imagine that there'll have to be two skins for it. One that's clean, and one that isn't.
Thanks given by:
oh yeah, i have both.

i think it would be something along the lines of, clean knife - swipe - kill - image change.
Thanks given by:
a_slow_old_man is definitely the guy to hit up. He made a machete and a lightsaber mod for the knife. Both of which had idle animations. Maybe those animations are a good place to start?

/noob modeler here
Thanks given by:
yeah, thats what i thought.
i have seen his modding thread, its epic. back to the point though.

i think it would be good to have this NOT as a mod but in the acctual game. a good update for 1.1.0.9 or something, in the future.
Thanks given by:
Heh.
Okay, maybe not. But I bet you laughed.
Thanks given by:
How would the knife become clean? Upon death? Wiped clean?

P.S. We shouldn't make the game too gory, there are 5yr olds that play the game after all.
Thanks given by:
Why, there's OMG!Ponies for them.
Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 11, 05:08PM)Darkbee Wrote: How would the knife become clean? Upon death? Wiped clean?

probs when you switch to another weapon. maybe easyer to wipe it clean when you die.

Thanks given by:
(18 Jan 11, 05:42PM)mykegregory Wrote: probs when you switch to another weapon. maybe easyer to wipe it clean when you die.

Switch weapon might be a good idea otherwise it's a use-once-change-once effect, which kinda loses impact. Suppose you knife 12 people before you die? Then you'll only get to the feel the satisfaction once.

Thanks given by:
exactly what i thought. it could get more bloody with the amount of people you kill, but lets stick with the original idea untill an experianced modder posts.
i want to know what they recon.
Thanks given by:
I'd say it would be pretty easy. All you would need to do is have a function to swap skins (probably not too hard) and then add a on kill switch to it.
Thanks given by:
Even with swapping skins manually, a highly-disruptive "resetgl" is required for the change to take effect. You'd need to find a way for the hard-coded function to apply the change without resetting the graphics.
Thanks given by:
is there a way to do that anyone?
Thanks given by:
Yes, I believe you would need to preload the texture which wouldn't be too hard I would think. I just dont know how.
Thanks given by:
Probably would be similar to /musicpreload I bet.
Thanks given by:
isnt it always resetting the graphics V-man? I dont know all this stuff but why is it so disruptive? Does it make the game freeze for a sec or something?
Thanks given by:
Go in-game.
Type /resetgl
tell me whether that's disruptive.
The way the game works right now, it can't change a weapon's skin without resetgl.
Thanks given by:
Viper, the game loads all textures and required on map load. This includes player skins I believe. This means that if you just add one more texture to get loaded, your load time would be slower (by fractions of a millisecond probably), and you could use it without /resetgl.
:D
Thanks given by:
Slow old man has a machete that is blood stained and if you don't do any thing for a little while, it wipes the blood but does not clean it, Your idea is cool though :)
Thanks given by: