New game mode Idea - Manhunt
I got this idea when i was playing in a big map w/ lots of nooks and crannies, where one guy insisted on playing on a team by himself, and forcing the rest of us to dig him out. This gave me the idea for a new game mode called manhunt.
Basically, it would go something like this:
everyone is on the same team, except for one guy who is on the opposite team. at the beginning of each round, the one guy (prey) would get a 30-sec head start, where he could run around the map to pick up items and find a good hiding spot. after that time was up, everyone else (hunters) will spawn, and will have to go find him. once they spawn, they will have to go find him. the prey will earn points the longer he stays alive (probably every 15 sec, like KTF, though he wont actually have a flag). once the prey is killed, he will switch over to the hunter's team, and the hunter who killed him will become the prey (beginning a new round).
I think there is a game mode in halo or some other fps i have played before like this, called juggernaut. anyway this will emphasize hiding more, whereas juggernaut emphasizes fighting (although juggernaut would be a good game mode to have also)
Also, i was thinking that instead of picking the first prey at random, there could be one round of survival, but that might get kinda drawn out.
anyway, thats enough talking for me, what do you think?
Thanks given by:
An interesting idea..
I think this is certainly worth looking into.
Thanks given by:
I tried to cubescript a mode similar to this one at one time. However, it had some problems that couldn't be fixed. Maybe I'll try again.
Thanks given by:
Could be interesting..
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a mode of game-play in BZflag...1 "rabbit" and the rest are "hunters." It is very fun, it would be cool to see something like that in this game.
Thanks given by:
CHICKEN MODE!!! YAHHHHHHHHH
Except, you'll want to make someone else the chicken/prey so that the hunters will want to frag him.
Thanks given by:
But, when the whole team are awaiting to spawn they can spect and se the location of the prey

Edit: And the devs are very reserved in these cases

Thanks given by:
I thought Sauerbraten cracked down on "Hide and seek servers" as much as we cracked down on GEMAs?
Thanks given by:
not untill the shotty is nerfed down!

dont give noob camper shotty tankers there own gametype just yet!
Thanks given by:
Also I think 10 seconds would be better as 15 seconds can be a very long time on AC. On most maps there aint too many real hiding spots, and if there are they could get checked in less than 15 secs, especially as the searching team can split up.
Thanks given by:
I love this idea. I suggested something similar to this a while back, gameplay is mostly the same except the "chicken" either spawns with full gear (armour/ammo and possibly nades) or has access to pickups and primaries as normal while everyone else has lower health and no primary.
Thanks given by:
It sounds like something my cousin and me did playing Black Ops the two of us vs nine bots
but i like the idea and would look forward to being prey but i don't like the idea of the person who killed the "prey" as the new prey but it again should be picked at random
Thanks given by:
what if! the "chicken" gets OSOK gun. and the rest have regular! would that overpower the chicken?

this would be a B**CH if any TKers come along though. hmm.
Thanks given by:
@mogthor: Haha, BZFlag, the only FPS I played before getting to AC :)
@Lantry: Yeah, it sounds like an idea that might work, it did in BZFlag, although I'm not sure if I could play it for a long time.. :)
Thanks given by:
Oh shit.
That's an epic idea.
Although, I agree that that the selection of the prey should be random.
Also that spectator thing would be a bitch.

Thanks given by:
Not allowed to move while waiting to spawn?
Thanks given by:
Sounds cool. But how about the prey just picks their own gun like normal. Everyone else gets pistols?(or maybe even just knives...or both)
Give the guy a chance at least xD
These maps don't really support hide and seek THAT WELL, so pistols or knives only for the hunters!
Thanks given by:
Then the hunters will be at a severe disadvantage... Lots of people try to bring a knife to my gunfights; it's embarrassing to frag them because it's like shooting an innocent kitten. Pistols would be a little better, but come on, the point is to motivate the chicken to run and hide!
Thanks given by:
Well I figured 8 people with pistols could catch a chicken with an assault rifle...
T_T
Thanks given by:
Kind of like HTF, except a FFA mode?
Thanks given by:
well, if you go with the rabbit hunt mode in BZflag, there is no difference between the hunter and the rabbit. (but the rabbit is a different color.) The strategy is to pick up all the armor/nades/ammo you can find, then go kill the rabbit, (who ever kills the rabbit becomes the rabbit),and since you are now the rabbit you have all your armor and nades so you can focus on fragging the hunters, without worrying about picking that up. The advantage to being the rabbit is that you can frag all the hunters, thus getting your score up a lot, but when you are the hunter the only way to get your score up is to frag the rabbit (and become the rabbit.)
Thanks given by:
I think the spectator problem wouldn't be that hard to solve. I think Orynge had the right idea, allowing them to spawn but not move, or just not move. as for the weapons, i think everyone should be able to pick their weapons, though a osok variant could be cool (as long as its osok for everyone, not just the rabbit)
Also: is there any place i can officially suggest this, now that i see there is interest in it?
Thanks given by:
i think i would go with the rabbit gets the osok sniper and the rest can choose what they like and the rabbit gets points for every hunter that is killed (sounds like a different mode but im helpin :D) if not then instead of points for each dead hunter then a point for every 10 secs the rabbit is still alive. and +1 to the orynge idea and there we go we have a game mode (or two if u count the score differently in each game mode)
Thanks given by:
So let's plan this out.

There is one prey and multiple hunters. On killing the prey, the hunter who delivered the fatal shot takes his place and the cycle starts again. If they prey kills all the hunters, he goes on for another round as prey. After the same prey for 3 rounds in a row, random selection takes place. No pickups.

Prey: Spawns with fill health and armour, 3 nades and choice of primary weapon. Gets 10 seconds to hide or decide on an area to control.

[b]Hunter: Spawn with 50(?) health and only pistols and knives. Cannot move during initial 15 seconds.

Good enough? Scoring system?

EDIT: Or how about two teams versus each other? Each team sends the prey who killed the other team's prey.
Thanks given by:
Lol chicken hunt hehe
Something like follow the leader in Urban Terror?? Is that it??
Thanks given by:
I don't think games would last very long but perhaps that's the idea. It all depends on what maps are used and how many players are playing. For example this would be the most rediculous game mode ever for 15 players on Douze. :D You can run but you can't hide. ;)

Anyway, no harm in added/trying it out. Just because it's there doesn't mean it has to be played all the time.
Thanks given by:
Sounds pretty fun to me. :)
Thanks given by:
The guy who rans away has to be in a chicken costume.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jan 11, 08:46AM)Lightning Wrote: So let's plan this out.

There is one prey and multiple hunters. On killing the prey, the hunter who delivered the fatal shot takes his place and the cycle starts again. If they prey kills all the hunters, he goes on for another round as prey. After the same prey for 3 rounds in a row, random selection takes place. No pickups.

Prey: Spawns with fill health and armour, 3 nades and choice of primary weapon. Gets 10 seconds to hide or decide on an area to control.

[b]Hunter: Spawn with 50(?) health and only pistols and knives. Cannot move during initial 15 seconds.

Good enough? Scoring system?

EDIT: Or how about two teams versus each other? Each team sends the prey who killed the other team's prey.

I think with this setup the prey would be too powerful. either everyone has normal weapons and health, or the prey has no armor and nades (only primary weapon). it would take some playtesting to figure out which is better.
For a scoring system, maybe one point every 15 seconds as prey, and one point for each kill as hunter or prey?
as for your edit, i think that would get too boring for the players that have to sit out, and they would probably quit.
Thanks given by:
Call the mode duckhunt.

:P
Thanks given by: