Burst Fire AR
I was thinking, could a 3 shot burst fire assault rifle be a good way to balance the gun? set the burst speed at smg speed, but with carbine shot for shot time. the carbine would still have the upper hand at range, but the ar would beat it at close range. good idea?
Thanks given by:
You should post this in the weapon balance thread, even if I do think this idea is a little silly. The tweaks made to the AR in the SVN trunk seem good so far. Your idea might work for a new weapon (*cough* combat pistol *cough*) but we need something to fit as an AR.
Thanks given by:
Nein!
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 07:37PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: Nein!

Das ist nien gut!

but then again, you could have a choice between said combat pistol and the regular pistol. so you can choose a primary weapon and a secondary one.

Thanks given by:
I made a cubescript and binds for my smg/AR to be a burst of 7 or Full auto, its keen.
Thanks given by:
(29 Nov 10, 07:42AM)Bullpup Wrote: I made a cubescript and binds for my smg/AR to be a burst of 7 or Full auto, its keen.

Ooh....mind sharing that script...? :o
Thanks given by:
These kind of scripts are frowned upon use by the devs, I don't think cubescript was ever intended to be able to mess with the way the weapons fire. I wouldn't advise continuing to use those kind of scripts, because more than likely they will be blocked in the upcoming versions.
Thanks given by:
Dude, its not a quick weapon switch script or a cheat to make a weapon fire faster/more bullets script. Please tell me what the hell is wrong with halting the attack function after so many ticks? What the FluffyBunnies can this hurt?

Keep on keepin on wrecking what was a good game.
Thanks given by:
need to define if it give an advantage or not,but looks like no.
Thanks given by:
(30 Nov 10, 05:23PM)pakit Wrote: need to define if it give an advantage or not
Let's not start this again, please.

What about /maxtexsize 2, a better mouse, /gamma 200, ...?

Thanks given by:
If we wanted a burst mode, we'd add it. I personally don't see much of an advantage, but some people definately will. The question is simply where to draw the line (again) for scripts. Cubescript is quite powerful, so there need to be limits, and we can not forsee every possible script beforehand. AC is supposed to be simple, so burst or single-fire modes were never considered. Also, someone new to the game should find the same _basic_ gamerules and handling as someone who has been scripting for ages.

I can't really see where the advantage lies in having a script that stops the attack function after 7 shots. If you can't do that yourself,well..... I do see and advantage though, when you stop it after 2, 3 or 4 shots, depending on the gun. The code for burst is already quite easily to handle, since there is virtually no cooldown. That's already fast and comfortable enough in my book, it's a present on a silver plate already.
Thanks given by:
well you all say, here is the cubescript readme, here is a full sheet of doc on cubescript. On the other hand you shoot down any original script someone makes on the basis that if one person has it over another then its an advantage. In this case people want Burst fire selector and you say "we" dont intend to put it in the game. You also say you listen to players....

Include Burst @ 3, 7, full auto in next release. No I will not join the flamewar that is the 'weapon balance' thread as its pointless because im not in DES so noone cares what I think.

BTW some 'ppl' are using wallhax in plain sight and noone cares. No I wont bother with the blackmail thread as once again .........

The standards of maps you 'devs' wish to uphold thru stifling creativity in the map editor is NOT working also. Far too many shitty servers with shitty MapRots, why is burka not banning them on site ?

drops mic
kicks over soapbox
Thanks given by:
(02 Dec 10, 06:42PM)Bullpup Wrote: BTW some 'ppl' are using wallhax in plain sight and noone cares. No I wont bother with the blackmail thread...
I care, although wallhack is hard/impossible to prove when used well. PM me a demo and I'll see what I can do. But, even if you 'know' someone is wallhacking, without the proof there is no point in doing anything.
Quote:Far too many shitty servers with shitty MapRots, why is burka not banning them on site ?
It's not easy to cover everything. Again, give me a hint, and I'll see what I can do. Remember, server control treads a fine line between liberalism and facism, as far as the community is concerned.

Thanks given by:
"Include Burst @ 3, 7, full auto in next release."

Sorry, but I still fail to see the usefulness of a 7-shot burst. If you were asking for single, 3-shot and auto, I would understand. Do you care to explain why a 7-shot burst would be a good thing in AC? Haven't heard you do. Just because you scripted a 7 shot burst does not mean that it makes any sense, sorry.

It's the reality of game development that you sometimes have to review certain things. You're asking us to be perfect in everything we do or did. We are not. This isn't a corporate, commercial game that had millions of bucks put in to be developed by gamedesign veterans, to be as perfect as possible on release. Just because something is scriptable, doesn't mean it's desireable - forgive us lowly idiots that we didn't forsee every script that could ever be made before the release of 0.9. I bet you had no objections when the quick-shot scripts were made impossible, did you?
I have no objections to personalized scripts, but when they change gun handling, the fun ends.

Concerning wallhacks: Those are the hardest to detect. We are trying everything to stop cheating, but noone will ever be able to stop all cheating, so settle down please. We do what we can.

Concerning your remark about DES - you're funny. People used to say this about TyD.
I do listen to what you have to say, don't worry. But I don't care WHO it is I listen to and not. I have always been blind for clan tags, it's people like you who decide to make a fuss about these things.
Thanks given by:
(02 Dec 10, 07:22PM)makkE Wrote: This isn't a corporate, commercial game that had millions of bucks put in to be developed by gamedesign veterans, to be as perfect as possible on release.

Don't worry, google "care package glitch" instead. So much for perfect commercial games. Compared to that, I'd say AC is doing quite well.

Thanks given by:
i find this appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGlWjIKo...ture=share
Thanks given by:
The only time people don't care about what you have to say is when you say it rudely.
Thanks given by:
(03 Dec 10, 01:38PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: The only time people don't care about what you have to say is when you say it rudely.

What's the saying... "Even if you're correct, the way you express it can make you wrong." or something? Not sure.
Thanks given by:
I believe it was "Might makes right!"
oops, wait
er
"Right makes might!"
Though I just now made that up...
Thanks given by:
Honestly, I could totally see a cubescript-based burst fire mode in scripts.cfg.
Sort of like how quicknadethrow is cubescript-based.

Really though, I don't think the "ease of use" you could get from a burst mode is significant enough to be a major advantage. That'd be like blocking the quickknife or smoothzoom scripts (both of which I love) because they make certain functions easier.

I already burstfire the manual way, and this would make my job a lot easier.
Thanks given by:
[Image: Grave_digger_(truck).jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oops.. didn't see how old this thread was, my bad...
Thanks given by:
(02 Dec 10, 07:22PM)makkE Wrote: ...
Sorry, but I still fail to see the usefulness of a 7-shot burst.

I think this is because smg takes 7 shots to kill an unarmed opponent, so you could just click once and not have to worry about shooting too much or too little most of the time.

(05 Feb 11, 05:19AM)VenteX Wrote: Really though, I don't think the "ease of use" you could get from a burst mode is significant enough to be a major advantage. That'd be like blocking the quickknife or smoothzoom scripts (both of which I love) because they make certain functions easier.

I already burstfire the manual way, and this would make my job a lot easier.

I'm not sure how i feel about this, as i haven't tried these scripts yet. However, i do know that there is a fine line between "automating boring functions" and "removing skill from the game". As you acknowledged, you already burstfire the manual way, which probably took some time to master. Even though allowing these scripts won't make everyone into a pro, it will definitely change the learning curve and whatnot.
Thanks given by:
I'd say no because the Assault Rifle is the weapon that rifle sprinters/jumpers use usually(smg isn't too bad doing said jobs but AR is clearly stronger) bursts with carbine slowness in between would completely ruin it.
I do think it should be 25 damage though .-.'
Thanks given by:
* Frogulis finds way to quote Syntax

wha? EDIT: just got it :D

Also, 7 shot fire on the smg isnt a good idea unless you have about 100% accuracy. And your opponent is armourless. Etc etc etc....
Thanks given by:
Well...
You can have a 30-shot burst with SMG by clicking once; just make sure not to let go of the mouse button until you're satisifed.
Also scream "YAIYAIYAI" as this occurs.

As for scripts dealing with bursting, you're right, it's possible -- but the devs have expressed disapproval of this and will likely put blocks in place to prevent it in the future.
Thanks given by:
(16 Feb 11, 07:59AM)V-Man Wrote: As for scripts dealing with bursting, you're right, it's possible -- but the devs have expressed disapproval of this and will likely put blocks in place to prevent it in the future.
They already did. Well, eihrul did.

Thanks given by:
Hmm...
Mine still works...
Thanks given by:
3 round burst AR would ruin the game.
No reason to have one, it would just make gameplay slower
Thanks given by:
*cough* toggle *cough*
Thanks given by: