43200 minutes game?
I have been thinking about an unique game that lasts in a month (30 days = 43200 minutes) just by setting a single map/mode with no votes and no demos (that would be almost 3 GB in a month).....

Is it possible? I mean, does it go against any rule? And if possible, if there's anyone with an available server (possibly 20-40 slots), couldn't we organize an event like that?

Just imagine a guy joining day by day and raising his score, like an 'inner ladder'..... His frags would be thousands at the end of the month... :)
Thanks given by:
WOW im so doing that 8D
Thanks given by:
id get bored of the map
Thanks given by:
I think it would be a good idea.
You could play some of it one day and some of it another, if you get bored skip it for a day or two.
Thanks given by:
I doubt the AC-server will run stable for this long time. Though, I've no experience with hosting servers I'd expect the system to collapse at least once due to the load on information...
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 06:20AM)Undead Wrote: id get bored of the map
Even if it was depot?
(27 Nov 10, 07:37AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: I doubt the AC-server will run stable for this long time.
It will; in my experience the server will run and run, provided the host server hardware is stable. However, I have no idea if the software could support the figures involved.
I'd certainly want to turn off demo recording though. A demo for a 15 minute CTF game with 14-16 players is about 1.5MB, or 100kB/min. That's over 4GB of RAM to store a 30 day demo.
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 09:06AM)jamz Wrote:
Even if it was depot?
Stole the words out of my mouth.

That would be an epic demo though. I wonder if anyone could watch that...

So, how about it RK or our other massive server hosters? Who is up for it? We could make it a big AC event :D
Thanks given by:

(27 Nov 10, 07:06AM)BULL3T Wrote: I think it would be a good idea.
You could play some of it one day and some of it another, if you get bored skip it for a day or two.
Exactly.

By the way, what happens if there are no players in that moment? Will the game end/restart?
Thanks given by:
If everyone leaves, the next map in the maprot starts when someone connects. If it's the only maprot entry, it restarts.
I have bad news though. I can only get the server to support 35791 minutes; at 35792 it goes straight to intermission.
Thanks given by:
Heh - game milliseconds is a signed integer then ;)

2^31 - 1 = 2 147 483 647 (max positive signed integer)

35792 * 60 * 1000 = 2 147 520 000 (wraps around into negative)
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 10, 01:34PM)jamz Wrote: If everyone leaves, the next map in the maprot starts when someone connects. If it's the only maprot entry, it restarts.
I have bad news though. I can only get the server to support 35791 minutes; at 35792 it goes straight to intermission.
So "just" 24 days?

Ok, what about making it 3 weeks long?
Thanks given by:
[shameless plug]
Saying "inner ladder" sort of made me think of the Personal Ladder script. :D
[/shameless plug]
Also, for the demo recording issue, you could just have admins record pieces of it.
/demorecord
etc.
Thanks given by:
What about this:
  • Make it 3 weeks.
  • Make the server save a demo every X minutes as much as it's capable of (e.g. if the server can hold max 1 hour of demo saving, then it should be something like every 45-50 min)
  • Make each demo automatically save itself on a website so at the end of the 3 weeks you can watch every single 45-50 min of the 30240 minute game :DD
Thanks given by:
4. Make "Red vs. Blue"-like movies out of it
5. ???
6. Profit!
Thanks given by:
Have a bot always stay on the server so it will never change games. I dunno how you would get that but its an idea.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 10, 08:35PM)KN!F3 Wrote: Have a bot always stay on the server so it will never change games. I dunno how you would get that but its an idea.
A nice idea......

A modded server maybe, with a bot always in spect mode, and the server with 1 slot more...
Thanks given by:
There's no need for a bot if you can modify the server source anyway...
Thanks given by:
Or just have a dummy client in there during dull moments.
Thanks given by:
So when will this become a reality instead of a possibilty? xP
Thanks given by:
Maybe make a very huge map only for this , with a lot of players (32 if it's possible) in CTF ;)
Thanks given by:
make it 1.0 :D
Thanks given by:
(30 Nov 10, 11:41PM)titiPT Wrote: make it 1.0 :D

F2
Thanks given by:
(30 Nov 10, 11:46PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote:
(30 Nov 10, 11:41PM)titiPT Wrote: make it 1.0 :D

F2
Also F2 on that motion titiPT.

Thanks given by:
Why not 1.0?

inb4 'more ppl prefer 1.1'
Thanks given by:
Then make 2 of them.
Thanks given by:
How about, an epically sized map with capture points? It would be like an actual, long, drawn out war. Of course, it would take quite a bit of work.

Also, why don't you change the code to use unsinged long int? That should fix the time limitations. EDIT: Oh wait, that requires a recompiled client too. Never mind.

For the empty sever problem, just find the offending code in the source code and comment it out.
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 10, 03:31PM)LeeZH Wrote: How about, an epically sized map with capture points? It would be like an actual, long, drawn out war. Of course, it would take quite a bit of work.
By "epically sized" you mean huge?

If so, with 20+ players it would be unplayable..... Anyway, any response from some server owner or whatever? ç__ç
Thanks given by:
Do want this.
Thanks given by:
Quote:Or just have a dummy client in there during dull moments.
How could this be achieved. Would someone need to keep a client logged in 24/7 or is there another way without modifying the source?

Also what would be a good map for this?

I have setup a server with the map ac_iceroad ctf @ /connect bob-ac.co.uk 48763 just for testing
Thanks given by:
Keeping a bot in the server i think would be the best option, but can you set an uneven number as max players?

If anyone remembers Frit0's servers? That had 24/7 bot, but it was modded though.
Thanks given by: