A Couple Of Nooby Questions...
Hi. I had a couple of questions about AssaultCube. I hope I'll get my answers here, from the nice community here. :) Please don't mind my nooby questions because I indeed am a noob to this game. Here are my questions:

1. How do you change the keyboard buttons (for jumping, crouching, etc.)? Or are they fixed at those specific buttons?

2. I know it's possible to play in window mode but, is it possible to do that and still be able to access other things (desktop or your other files)? I ask this because I had a program running in the background and it displayed a message; I was unable to click it, to make it go away. I can only use the mouse in the game when it's on.

3. How do people get these other guns (like sniper rifle) in multiplayer? It seems as though they start out with them. I thought that everyone starts out with the same guns and then, you pick up others.

4. Is it possible to pick up someone else's gun, after you've fragged them?

5. Can a gamepad be used with this game?

6. Will there be a 64-bit version available sometime soon?

7. When installing a new version, it doesn't overwrite the previous one. Instead, it keeps both. Is this going to be fixed or do you have to uninstall previous versions every time?

8. Will there be new stages, guns, matches in the future (basically, what does the future hold for AssultCube)?

9. How do you switch teams?

10. How do you open those polls (like when people ask if such and such person should be kicked and then other people vote)?

11. How do you talk to your teammates (only)? Actually, how does the whole talking system work? (I see people doing it while playing and I've been asked things but, I was unable to respond because I don't know how it works.)

12. How do you know which kind of match is being played on a certain server without entering it?

13. What is this new protocol option in the 1.1.0.4 installer?

14. Can you change your uniform/appearance?

15. Could you please explain the best visual settings for a computer with a 512mb Nvidia 8400 gs card? What should I turn on or off?

16. What are these clans? How do you join?

17. Why do some people have different colored names?

18. How do you know if you're (your team is) winning a certain match?

19. What is this ping thing that shows up after you get fragged?

20. Is it possible to press some button and go afk for like 2 mins, if you have something important to do and still want to keep playing on the same server with the same people?

21. Any other things I should know before I play? (I've been playing without even knowing what's going on before...)

I apologize if I've broken a rule or asked something that has already been made clear. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks given by:
1. /bind KEY [action]
For ex. bind LSHIFT [crouch]
You should put these binds in autoexec.cfg (located in your AssaultCube config folder, look in My Documents if you are on Windows).

2. /togglegrap (you can bind that to a key, such as /bind 6 [togglegrap])

3&4. You keep the gun you start with, cannot change until you respawn. Press "B" to get the weapon selection menu.

5. With 3rd party software, yes.

6. Don't know, but isn't really necessary.

7. It doesn't overwrite the old version so you can keep your settings and stuff.

8. AssaultCube is in constant development.

9. /changeteam

10. Use the /kick commands or the game mode aliases to vote a map, such as /ctf ac_douze

11. Press "T" to say to all, press "Y" for team chat.

12. It will tell you on the server list.

13. If on Windows, use assaultcube://192.168.1.1?port=8030&password=blah <-- just and example.

14. Menu (press escape) > Settings > Gameplay > Change player skin

15. Disable dynamic lights and shadows, and turn up your lighterror to something around 10. Vsync should be disabled as well.

16. To join a clan, you will usually apply at their website/forum, then you can add the tag to your name. There is no built-in clan system. Putting on a clan tag without permission will usually get you blacklisted.

17. A player name in red is an admin (in the scoreboard).

18. Check the scoreboard (TAB).

19. That's the scoreboard, it automatically pops up when you're dead. The ping is how long it takes for data to get to the server.

20. No.

21. Try reading my strategy guide, and view the tutorial included with AC (Menu > Help).
Thanks given by:
First: welcome to the Assault Cube forums :).

You might wanna read the docs, it's a HTML file that comes with AC. In there are some answers for the things you asked here, give them a try

And i can help you with some of this:

To talk to your teammates pres Y instead of T.

To change your weapon during a game press B and choose the one you like you can't use it untill you die and respawn.

No you cannot pick another player weapon.

Some playes have theyr name on red because they have admin powers because it's the owner of the server or because the server owner give them a admin pass, an admin can kick,ban, change maps/ modes without the need of the other playes vote.

Yes you can know the tipe of match it's been played on a server just read a little it says ac_something CTF sevrer name 14/14 something like that the mode it's an acrominus (idk if i spell that good) like this:
CTF: Capture The Flag
TDM: Team Deathmatch
DM: Deathmatch
KTF: Keep The Flag
TKTF:Team Keep The Flag
LSS: Last Swiss Standing
PF: Pistol Frenzee ( ? )
THTF:Team Hunt The Flag
OSOK: One Shot One Kill
TOSOK: Team One Shot One Kill
Sorry if i miss one.

Yes you can change your options in the main menu (press ESC) Settings there you can change grafic, sound, the player model, key binds and all those good stuff :)

Hope i can help you with something

JAcKRoCk*
Thanks given by:
Whoops, I should have mentioned that most of the stuff about changing settings/binds can be easily done through the settings menu.
Thanks given by:
hehehehe @Gibstick oh and btw lovely performance on the tutorial xD
Thanks given by:
A couple of questions?!?! O_o haha

building off of gibstick's #9...

if the server wont allow you to switch teams because they are even, you can always do
/forceteam your_cn

building off of gibstick's #10...

/showmenu kick/ban
is a lot easier than
/kick cn reason

cn numbers, or client numbers, are found in the scoreboard. press tab to bring it up anytime. for example, if you want to kick cn #3, you would type
/kick 3 teamkiller
or something like that.

Have fun and good luck!!
Thanks given by:
6. I have to convert some defined code and as I´m a n00b it may need some time ´til there will be a good 64 bit release on Windows. (There is already one for Linux)
7. It´s not a bug, it´s a feature!
Thanks given by:
hey can someone explain more about the answer to question 5 I'm tired of using my keyboard and mouse

and btw how I can specify the time for play when I make a vote for a map and mode game

even if this is possible?? if not, it is possible to implement that in the future??

for example I normaly write for call a vote

/ctf ac_shine (and if I want specify the minutes how??)
Thanks given by:
well you can't do that by voting most of the modes have a time set by the number of players, you can mod this in your maprot of your server to make the maps last as much as you want :)
Thanks given by:
of course in the Maprot of our servers I and [aCKa]Perros specify that, but I mean in general when you call a vote in any server at any time, you can specify the minutes for play?

that's my question and about using a gamepad how and whether it is better than the keyboard and mouse???
Thanks given by:
oh sorry but you can't change that, as for your other question i really can't help you there but i know it can be done i just don't know how
Thanks given by:
"A couple of questions..." ;)

Perhaps the Common FAQs could be updated with some of these (I see some are already covered).
Thanks given by: