What I miss in Assault Cube
Hi,

I have been playing AC for a while now and I am having a great time. Two things though really bother me and I wonder what you guys think about them:

a) I have yet to see any kind of coordinated attack or defense in any team. Everybody just runs around at warp speed in such utter chaos that there are constant friendly-fire reports. Is there nobody out there who would be interested in a more thoughtful approach, with tactics combining different weapons and teams? I have tried to use the "t" button to make simple suggestions like "let's stay together" (during a keep the flag play) - and I did not even get an answer. I am quite sure that a well-coordinated team with prepared tactics would simply obliterate any opposing team. Instead, we just run around, shoot as much as we can, and toss grenades without any kind of thought.

b) I have often seen team mates deliberately shooting me, even in good lighting condition and when I was in ambush in an advantageous position to protect the flag. Do the "run around all the time" kind of players have a special dislike for ambush tactics and those who favor them?

Thanks,

FG
Thanks given by:
I'm assuming you play in public servers a lot. Most of the shimmies tend towards chaos than any established formation or stratagems. If you want a more tactical approach to the game consider joining a clan. Clans play matches against each other that requires the style of gameplay you're looking for. Usually 2v2's but we've had upwards of 5v5's occasionally. If you want to meet clanplayers and just chill with them a good bet is to get an IRC client. Even if you choose not to join a clan you can always play in the Inters. These are where we just get a bunch of shimmies together, mix up teams, and throwdown. If any of this interests you then grab yourself an IRC, I'd suggest mibbit, it's pretty easy to use until you get something better, and join us in our chatrooms, and start chilling.

Here's a quick How-To for connecting with mibbit

1. mibbit.com
2. In the Networks drop down bar you have a wide variety to choose from. Select the Gamesurge network.
3. Select a nickname, type it in that box
4. The channel box is right next to the nickname box, and requires a # sign typed before the name.
5. There are many good clan channels to join, so I'll just start you off with a few.

#kellhounds, #dedicatedelitesoldiers, #one-chat, #tearyoudown, #woop-clan, #ma-clan, #bc-clan, #nr-clan, #U| etc etc etc... OK maybe that was more than a few ;).

Anyways hope you this helps you find the kind of gaming you're seeking. Peace out shimmy!

MorganKell
Thanks given by:
Well mate, at pubs, usually the team play is practicality non existence, lots of inexperienced players and just too much players in general make it for a more chaotic environment. If you fell like playing more tactical kinda games, you might need to start to think about join one of the many AC clans around, thre is a good, but kinda out dated list here.
That way you can do some training with your clan mates, up your game a bit and clan matches will definitely be the solution for your frustrations.
You can also look on IRC to play some private matches with more experienced players, lots of fun there too ;)

Edited: Shimmy beat me to it, :S
Thanks given by:
People in pubs tend to focus more on themselves, and most of them don't give a crap about the teammates. There are also some cases of newbs shooting people from their own team: they just don't know their team yet.
Thanks given by:
First, thanks for the pointers and the mibbit primer! I use Ubuntu and I normally use xchat, but mibbit is fine too. Not much traffic on them though (18:05 EST).

Is there a place where I can apply to join a clan? My favorite type of game would be team deathmatch.

thanks!
Thanks given by:
We are working to increase the team play in the pubs with the extra score (flag defense, cover...), but it is still preliminary work.
Thanks given by:
LOL! I got to play with Dedicated Elite Soldiers (very nice guys) and I got my ass kicked so badly I can barely sit :-)

I think I need to practice more with the latest version of AC (I had the old one) before I re-apply to any serious team.

Thanks for all the pointers!!

Farhad
Thanks given by:
Use the 'y' key for team chat. 'T' is public chat and even is someone actually pays attention and sees it, he won't know which team the message was addressed to.
Thanks given by:
Actually, we played with you, the only DES guy in there quit before I finally got you there after all the troubleshooting. Was a nice 3 minutes ingame with you tho ;)
Thanks given by:
You can be the teamplayer, just show them that it's more fun to work together.
Thanks given by:
Sometimes you find some experienced players that prefer to work as a team, but the best you can do with players that don't take teams too seriously, is show them that you care about the team by covering for them or helping them get a flag, etc.
Thanks given by:
Actually, just today I came across a couple of players who did seem to work together a lot. It was a small team deathmatch (3x3) but the two guys I got teamed up with were very good.

Hey, since I am kind of an "official newbie" now, I want to ask two noob questions:

1) is there a way to configure a button to immediately throw a grenade without going through the "change weapon" and then throw? Some players seem to be able to throw a grenade almost instantly and I wonder if they do not simply press one button.

2) also, is there a way to apologize for shooting somebody on my team? I know the game sometimes says "sorry", but I did not find a way to do that.

Its a really nice community here, thanks for being so welcoming :-)
Thanks given by:
Quote:1) is there a way to configure a button to immediately throw a grenade without going through the "change weapon" and then throw? Some players seem to be able to throw a grenade almost instantly and I wonder if they do not simply press one button.
Hold right click then release.

Quote:2) also, is there a way to apologize for shooting somebody on my team? I know the game sometimes says "sorry", but I did not find a way to do that.
Press the V key. Then 4 then 2
Thanks given by:
Back in topic. Us as a clan ~TgS~ have tactics for almost every map and yes we do weapon combinations and stuff like that :D
Thanks given by:
i suggest you watch out for the TGS clan because their tactics extend over every map/mode combination and are extremely well thought out and executed perfectly.

FEAR
Thanks given by:
people on pubs play for ladder ;)
Thanks given by:
I usually hate organized team play, I love the "chaos" factor of pubs. Sure, I'll protect teammates if they have the flag and help my team score, I'll avoid damaging teammates as much as I can...but other than that, being strategic and showing patience isn't my thing. And there are many like me, simply there to blow others up as fast as possible :)

What you'll be wanting is a nice clan to settle into and also join the occasional random clan match that takes place on public servers. AC does have a highly-skilled, team-based tactful side to it...and clan matches is where it's all at :)
Thanks given by:
Im more of a tactics guy
Thanks given by:
like Morgan said, hang around on the clans IRC channels and ask for an interclan ;) thats great practise and you'll get to know a lot of players from deifferent clans ... and tactics are part of interclans! :P

See you around!
Thanks given by: