How would you like to see forum/IRC moderation change?
(28 May 15, 09:52AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: At the moment we have more talking going on on this forum about how it should be moderated than actually making use of the forum. It's ridiculous. This forum seems only to exist to discuss itself. This is like Magnus Mills' Scheme of Full Employment.
I already can here all that yelling at me from particular people, but this what I'm always have about in here. The game.
The question is. what is The Game?
Seriously.
For some people (once the vast majority) the game is just red and blue dolls dancing on a screen. For some people is competition. For some is coding and mapping. For some is chatting, for some is making friends. For some is... (fill the the empty spaces as you wish).
For others the forum is actually part of the game. So talking about it is also a sign of devotion to the game: mainly because here things aren't going in the way we all wish.
Thinking about the game only under a certain point of view (i.e. the tech side) is certainly a mistake. Underestimate the social part of the game is the other: the fact that many are trying to think about the rules of this place should be seen as a sign of affection and engagement. Whatsmore it clearly express a need, given the situation.
I say that again: people involved in development shouldn't be moderating the forum. Their (valued, fundamental) task is different. Otherwise we have a concentration of powers that brings to a kind of "technocracy" that has, as final effect, to promote only one idea of the game, depressing all the others.
This is the only structural rule I suggest. It would promote the idea that there is a whole community taking care of the game, in all his (un)explored aspects. The forum should be our ἀγορά, and participation should be welcome. As for the other rules, yes, keep'em simple.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: How would you like to see forum/IRC moderation change? - by ketar - 28 May 15, 11:27AM