Sad to see the decline in the playerbase
I agree with DamDam and a few others here.
As much as I am an AC snob, I did start in 1.0 with Headshot city and Twin Towers and such silly maps. And like it or not, those were some of my best days and the most fun. It's what made me love AC in the first place. And I see more new players playing in similar maps than anything else. And deep down I know why... because that was really fun.
That's what brought a huge amount of players.
I think 1Cap could bring a lot of players with his marketing jive. But we've kind of bled a lot of the fun out of the game with an elitist attitude, myself included.
We cut out a lot of the goofy fun stuff that is a stepping stone to the competitive playing. Which is exactly what it is, a stepping stone. I think people have to learn the game in steps. Starting generally with big open maps and single shot kills that anyone can pull out of their ass. It gives a player a sense of satisfaction. Then they can continue to move into more competitive game-play. We need that stuff as a kind of "day-care" stage of AC.
I agree with Crema to a certain extent. The game is dying, but no reason for it to continue that way. It will never go away if it retains a certain cult appeal, which we are slowly cutting out of it. I think we should have a few servers for the "pro" players and the nooby experimenters but push some of the fun goofy stuff back out to the forefront.
In a time when old-school 90's era graphics and stuff are actually considered "cool" this shouldn't really be happening to us. In another 3-4 years millennium era stuff will be looked at as "cool" because it will be 20 years old and that's really how society seems to develop. Our hey-day hasn't even happened yet if we move back towards what made the game so much fun to us in the first place.
I remember being happy and sociable in the early days. But after years of competitive elitist boo-hoo-ing I think I've grown sour towards the game. If once in a while I could go back to those silly fun maps and do what made me love the game so much in the first place, maybe some of that feeling can be rejuvenated.
Maybe we can have a huge alternative map-pack with a lot of the custom/fun/silly maps available. Just place them in a separate folder in the download and make it an option at first download, also making it available as a separate download on the site and forum. Then we can go from there.
We already have a lot of these maps on Akimbo, and we can start collecting and converting some of the older maps we all used to love so much. I for one would love to see the old ORIGINAL headshot city brought back (maybe that's what it was called, the one with the castle towers and stuff?), along with several others.
And yes, even though it can get silly, it was fun to once in a while play with 32 player teams.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sad to see the decline in the playerbase - by Boomhauer - 28 Feb 16, 02:34PM