The script requests/brainstorming thread!
Update about the auto-clip idea:

It is entirely possible to get this idea working on some of the models that we need it for with what commands we currently have in AC, there are some exceptions though:

* Any model that is not entirely centered over the selection when placed (I imagine this is a model fault rather than AC's), may be problematic because based on which direction you're currently looking, the clip will fit the model differently and would need to be moved ahead of time.
* Any model that is usually elevated from the ground will probably be omitted because there is no way to have the clip easily be moved up with it (in singleplayer edit, yes it's easy, in coop, might as well not even be using the menus for those kinda models ;).
* This whole thing only works if the models are placed at 90 degree angles, anything in between will cause the model to rotate but because of the way that clips currently work, the clip will NOT rotate with it.

Because of the way the (editaxis) command works (return 11 if on the x-axis, return 12 on the y-axis, and return 13 on the z-axis), there is no way to currently fix problem #1, AFAIK.

If we had a new command similar to (editaxis) but rather than working in axises it would work in basic (NSEW) directions, we could alleviate that problem.

Anyways, if you want to see it working on a model in-game for yourself now (I'll be working on doing all the models that I possibly can ASAP), you must edit line 307 of menus_edit.cfg to:

menuitem "Wire fence"            [newent mapmodel 13; if $autoclip [if (= $editaxis 11) [newent clip 0 0 4 8] [if (= $editaxis 12) [newent clip 0 4 0 8] []]] []]

You must type the following command in before any of it will work:

/autoclip = 1

Then go into the editing > mapmodels menu, select Fencing, and select "Wire fence" to place the model. If you did everything correctly you will notice that it was auto-clipped as well! :D

So, although this does have a lot of downfalls *now*, I think with a bit of dev help we could make this a reality rather easily. I'm willing to put in the effort beefing up menus_edit.cfg if that is the case! :)
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The script requests/brainstorming thread! - by Bukz - 02 Feb 11, 08:25PM