Question to NextGen Maps/Models
Not sure if I understand you correctly, but the Cube Engine has nothing to do with Quake's Id Engine code wise. As far as I know, that's two completely different approaches to a game engine in terms of geometry handling and rendering pipelines and probably a whole lot more. The creator(s) of the Cube Engine probably only decided to support the Quake model formats (md2, md3) in order to make use of Quake's vibrant modding scene at that point in time. Today they would most likely pick another format.

However, I think you start confusing things and losing focus.

Actually, the detailed and photorealistic looks of modern graphic renderings are not primarily created by 4k textures and high poly models, but mostly by per-pixel-shading. Bumpmapping, tessellation and realistic lighting (and everything that comes with that last one alone) is what makes modern games look 'nice'.

Porting Assault Cube to any iteration of Quake's engine doesn't seem to make any sense to me, to be honest. If at all, you'd go for something that has a huge and healthy community and which is being maintained, like Unreal or Unity or something like that. Anyway, in either case you'd end up rebuilding the entire game pretty much from ground up, so I guess it's more likely we'll find one programmer to work on improving/enhancing Assault Cube's code base. ;)

Btw, Felix how about your coding skills and did you go by another nickname 7 years ago?
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 23 Nov 20, 02:19AM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by Marti - 23 Nov 20, 02:13PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 23 Nov 20, 05:03PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 24 Nov 20, 05:38PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 24 Nov 20, 08:31PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 26 Nov 20, 06:48PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 29 Nov 20, 07:28PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 30 Nov 20, 05:21PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by 3XIX - 02 Dec 20, 12:49PM
RE: Question to NextGen Maps/Models - by Mr.Floppy - 02 Dec 20, 05:23PM